New Weather Data Site

I agree with the sectors issue, but would rather it not be strictly alley states. Perhaps a click and drag option where you select your own area, as zoomed in as you'd like. Or at least a click anywhere option with a pre-selected zoom amount.

Nice seeing the crossover options on there now too, though it kind of threw me off having the 850 winds be blue, and the 500 winds be red instead of the more common opposite.

I really like the site as well. Do you think you guys could add in some more parameters for the forecast soundings? There's also an interesting feature on the HOOT OU website where you can use the keyboard to move throughout the frames. Just some ideas for y'all.

Great work!

--Bug-fixes and Updates--

1. 850-700 mb wind crossover maps have been activated for the RUC, NAM, and GFS.
  2. The missing 500 mb wind issue on crossover maps has been resolved.
  3. A surface-based LCL map has been added for the NAM. This map differs from the NAM-native LCL, which is calculated based on a mixed-layer parcel. NAM surface-based LCL is directly comparable to the surface-based LCL maps for the GFS and RUC.
  4. A significant error in the way wind barbs/vectors were being plotted has been fixed. The problem was related to a map projection issue, and soundings/hodographs were also affected. The correction is most obvious on GFS maps (see examples below):

Enjoy!

I really like the site as well. Do you think you guys could add in some more parameters for the forecast soundings? There's also an interesting feature on the HOOT OU website where you can use the keyboard to move throughout the frames. Just some ideas for y'all.

Great work!

We've been meaning to add in a little box with various parameters such as CAPE, helicity, etc., but just haven't gotten to it yet. Same thing goes for image looping/comparisons. ;)

Some things I'd like to see in the future are the looping (which you've already addressed) and a zoom feature.

I'd also like to see a thing like what WeatherUnderground has where you can buy an ad-free version.

Great site! The list of compliments would be too long to place here. Best site ever.

My biggest complaints:

(1) No RUC that is as up to date as, say, RAP real time weather.
(2) The wind fields can be a little difficult to read.
(3) The hodos/Skew-T's are impossible to read, especially for my little laptop and many other on-the-road netbooks chasers are starting to get.

Also, am I being dense as to where the surface data/current satellite is? And is it possible to place an analogue to the SPC's Short Fuse index as in Darren Addy's thread covering its usage on the IFO SPC pages (the thread is in the Advanced section)?

Is it just me or is the site broken right now? 14Z RUC is the last run available and GFS and NAM are broken.

We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties with the site. We are working to resolve the problems, but it may be until tomorrow morning before everything is fixed.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties with the site. We are working to resolve the problems, but it may be until tomorrow morning before everything is fixed.

Sorry for the inconvenience!
How awful! You mean I have to wait till tomorrow to look at the depressing models to further solidify my knowledge that this year is over and further fuel my sds, crushing any glimmer of hope that I might have or wish cast I may have conceived? Damn, how will I be able to live? ):

How awful! You mean I have to wait till tomorrow to look at the depressing models to further solidify my knowledge that this year is over and further fuel my sds, crushing any glimmer of hope that I might have or wish cast I may have conceived? Damn, how will I be able to live? ):

Couldn't have put that any better myself.

Hey Don, will you consider taking the audio advertisements down? The banner ads that extended down and covered half the page were more tolerable than an ad telling me audibly that I have won something...

EDIT: never mind, Steve Polley hooked me up with an ad blocker that works quite well. Knock yourself out.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, I had no idea there were audio ads running (I usually have my volume on mute). I've now set them to play only if the user clicks on the ad...thanks for the heads-up.

Hey Don, will you consider taking the audio advertisements down? The banner ads that extended down and covered half the page were more tolerable than an ad telling me audibly that I have won something...

EDIT: never mind, Steve Polley hooked me up with an ad blocker that works quite well. Knock yourself out.

Back