*New Users. Meet and Greet Area*

Greetings all! I am a lightning photographer and researcher from the northern Illinois area.

In 2016 I started researching lightning as it brought back good memories from 2011 which I consider to be the high point in my life. Those who live in northern Illinois may remember an unusually active July and August in 2011 starting with a high-end derecho event and being followed by numerous severe thunderstorm and flash flood events. One of these events produced continuous anvil-crawler lightning for hours which included an unusually intense positive CG flash that terminated less than a mile from my location and flash-blinded me for over a half hour.

In 2018 I started capturing lightning in 240 frames per second which allows me to slow the video footage down and analyze lightning events in more detail. I post these videos to my YouTube channel named The Lightning Hunter.

Greetings all! I am a lightning photographer and researcher from the northern Illinois area.

In 2016 I started researching lightning as it brought back good memories from 2011 which I consider to be the high point in my life. Those who live in northern Illinois may remember an unusually active July and August in 2011 starting with a high-end derecho event and being followed by numerous severe thunderstorm and flash flood events. One of these events produced continuous anvil-crawler lightning for hours which included an unusually intense positive CG flash that terminated less than a mile from my location and flash-blinded me for over a half hour.

In 2018 I started capturing lightning in 240 frames per second which allows me to slow the video footage down and analyze lightning events in more detail. I post these videos to my YouTube channel named The Lightning Hunter.
Hi welcome I hope u like here lol

Hi. I've been posting here since 2013 or so but never gave an introduction. I'm a lifelong weather enthusiast with a MS degree and some research background in meteorology. I'm currently in the Grand Rapids, Michigan area... not working due to health issues. I have done some minor local chasing by myself but have never had the opportunity to chase on the plains due to not having a chase partner. I'm personally the most interested in general storm photography. Witnessing a tornado some day would be cool, but I don't really consider seeing a tornado to be the main "goal" of chasing. Hanging back and taking timelapse of storm structure is more my style. I would prefer to go with someone with a more laid-back style. Also someone who is from West Michigan that I could meet with would be awesome. Just looking for someone to maybe plan something next spring, or beyond. Everything's up in the air for me. There doesn't seem to be a special meetup thread here or anywhere else on the internet for that matter. Just one of those things I'd like to knock off my bucket list before I get old and gray. Any help appreciated. Just putting out a feeler early.

Hello, my name is Jack, and I am a high school weather nerd/amature chaser. I am a senior, and am also a car guy as well as an enthusiast of analog television technology (NBTV).

I have done Some Chasing within the midwest, but this year I plan to go on a full fledged 10 day chasing trip this may after I graduate.
20180620_185439.jpg20190524_211630.jpg20190524_141814.jpg20190524_211848.jpg
I plan to take either my '95 Chevy Suburban C1500 (350 v8, TH700R4) with 330k on it, or my '74 GMC C1500 (250 i6, 3spd Manual) with 440k on it.
20190912_172219.jpg
20190828_191423.jpg
Though the Suburban runs well, has A/C, an Overdrive, and a lot of power, I am leaning towards my beloved GMC due to the fact that it actually gets reasonable gas mileage (inline 6's are like that). Also I don't really have faith in my Suburbans 330k original automatic transmission.
20190709_163104.jpg
On the other hand, the GMC may or may not have 100,000 more miles on it than the Suburban, a non overdrive manual transmission, and a completely worn out 250 I6.
The thing is, that I have the parts in order rectify most of these problems:
-I recently bought saginaw 3 speed overdrive transmission which is a direct replacement for mine.
-I have a new cylinder head and camshaft for the 250.
-I already daily drive the thing.
-It actually gets Decent gas mileage.
-And it's 8ft bed if perfect for a slide in camper (the savings on hotel rooms would more than pay for it).
I am hopping this thing up already for Hot Rod Power Tour in June of 2020, so I have a bit more faith in it.

Hello, my name is Jack, and I am a high school weather nerd/amature chaser. I am a senior, and am also a car guy as well as an enthusiast of analog television technology (NBTV).

I have done Some Chasing within the midwest, but this year I plan to go on a full fledged 10 day chasing trip this may after I graduate.
View attachment 19607View attachment 19609View attachment 19610View attachment 19611
I plan to take either my '95 Chevy Suburban C1500 (350 v8, TH700R4) with 330k on it, or my '74 GMC C1500 (250 i6, 3spd Manual) with 440k on it.
View attachment 19612
View attachment 19604
Though the Suburban runs well, has A/C, an Overdrive, and a lot of power, I am leaning towards my beloved GMC due to the fact that it actually gets reasonable gas mileage (inline 6's are like that). Also I don't really have faith in my Suburbans 330k original automatic transmission.
View attachment 19605
On the other hand, the GMC may or may not have 100,000 more miles on it than the Suburban, a non overdrive manual transmission, and a completely worn out 250 I6.
The thing is, that I have the parts in order rectify most of these problems:
-I recently bought saginaw 3 speed overdrive transmission which is a direct replacement for mine.
-I have a new cylinder head and camshaft for the 250.
-I already daily drive the thing.
-It actually gets Decent gas mileage.
-And it's 8ft bed if perfect for a slide in camper (the savings on hotel rooms would more than pay for it).
I am hopping this thing up already for Hot Rod Power Tour in June of 2020, so I have a bit more faith in it.
Welcome to the storm website I hope u like it here I’m a high school too lol

Hey, my name is Abram. I'm a weather enthusiast and occasional chaser when the time is right. I mostly study storms and weather data for my own enjoyment, and in general like being informed of the weather. Hopefully I can learn a few things from lurking around on the site.

Hi all,

My name is Greg as some keen eyes looking at my user name would've already figured out! I'm a professional filmmaker from Orlando, Florida. I primarily work on set in the lighting department, but I occasionally work in the camera department, even sometimes as a director of photography. If you watch TV, you've seen something I worked on. My website is kind of old and crappy, so I don't feel bad about this shameless plug: theslacker.xyz (I don't update it often because it turns out that no one in the high budget film industry cares about your website)

When I was little I could recite every line of the movie Twister as they were said on screen. I was obsessed with tornados ever since. I didn't become a filmmaker with the intention of chasing storms though. I always figured that if I was going to do it, I would do a public service to meteorologists or the NWS or something like that; sending probes into the tornado... that kind of thing. I'm not smart enough to do something like that (my website domain is literally "the slacker"). I also have lived in Florida my whole life so I've never really encountered anything note worthy. Yeah, I've chased hurricanes, but tornados are the real allure.

Recently I made the decision that 2020 would be the year that I captured violent weather on camera... Whether (hehe) it be tornados or hurricanes. I recently completed my Skywarn class, I also did the two online "certifications" by COMET and UCAR, and then the Spotter Network class (though that one is so old, the questions don't load right). I also dragged my fiancee into this mess by making her sit in on the 4 hour Skywarn class, which she doesn't really have a desire for. I really started paying attention to weather patterns and thunderstorms, I first invested in MyRadar, which was my first per-station doppler radar app, but now I pay for RadarScope. I feel like I'm ready to play it safe for a little while, obviously I have no desire to intercept (though I do want to try and fly a 360° camera rig attached to a drone into a tornado).

Though I don't have any real roots or education in meteorology, I decided that my public service to storm chasing (aside from just calling it in) would be that after the storm had passed I begin immediate search and rescue. This is where my fiancee comes in. She is a nurse, she works in a hospital in Orlando, she's willing to help me rescue people. I myself am going to get EMT certified very soon, so that I can do basic life support. I don't know how often something like that is required, but I'll be ready for when it is.

For now, I just want to take cool photos and videos. I thank you for reading this, I know it's kind of lengthy.
See you on the forums!

What's up everyone! I am glad to be a part of this community. I have been documenting storms local to me in the Charleston, SC area for about 10 years now. It is mostly hurricanes and strong thunderstorms with the occasional EF-0 to 1. I can finally afford to and buy some of the things I have always wanted to do when it comes to chasing so I should have a good year this year. Hopefully I see some of you around Charleston.

Hello all, I am an amateur storm chaser and lifelong weather enthusiast. My primary passion is all things space exploration and rockets, but my second interest is severe weather. Growing up in Minnesota allowed me to see weather in all its forms, from violent thunderstorms to whiteout blizzards. I have learned you can never fully know what to expect from weather. My favorite thing I took away from my first full chase season (summer of 2019) was the beauty of storms. Whether it be a pileus cap casting a reverse shadow, a rainbow coming all the way to the ground, or an ominous shelf cloud, storms inspire in me a sense of awe and wonder. It is so great to get out of the city, forget about the stress of my career and just drive and see the beauty of creation. I am excited to discover this forum and to get connected to the weather community as a whole. For me as an engineer, it is more about learning the science of it than capturing the perfect photo. Anyways, can't wait to start meeting people on the road. Below are a couple of the highlights from my rookie season, learned a TON!

Attachments

• DSC_0184.JPG
    DSC_0184.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2159.JPG
    IMG_2159.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3605.jpg
    IMG_3605.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 0
Hi everyone,

My name is Tony. I've been a member of various weather boards/forums dating back to 2005. Other than that, I'm a veteran hurricane chaser who conducted my initial chase expedition way back in 1989 (Hugo).

Between my very first chase and the present, I obtained my B.S. in Meteorology from NCSU in 1992, and subsequently worked in the field until 1994. At that point in time, I made the difficult decision to change careers. There were two primary factors involved in that decision: 1) My GF (soon to be wife) persuaded me to leave the field and 2) I realized the job would continue to restrict my ability to chase hurricanes on very short notice.

Prior to the aforementioned, it was my very first experience inside the eyewall of a hurricane (Diana, 1984) that inspired the pursuit of a career in the meteorological field, as well as a life-long fascination with tropical cyclones. While in college, I had the privilege of doing a student internship at the NHC under the mentorship of the late Robert (Bob) Case.

I share all the aforementioned to provide a brief overview of my own background in the Atmospheric Sciences.

More importantly, I want to thank you for taking the time to read this short "introduction", and I look forward to meeting new people who share my passion for the weather! :)

Most sincerely,
Tony Brite

Hi everyone my names Jasmyn and I'm from Lincoln Nebraska but currently attend school in Minnesota! For as long as I can remember I have always been fascinated by storms. I love the feeling of the cold front moving through and the patterns lightning makes in the sky. Growing up I always off and on wanted to be a storm chaser but never really thought itd actually happen. But i was watching youtube videos the other day and realized it can just be a hobby and then I started seriously looking into it and now, well, here i am! 😅

This is quite a bit late from me, but hello everyone! 😅 I'm Zach! I've been interested in storms for as long as I can remember, and started looking into atmospheric science more seriously recently. Something I have always wanted to do since leaning about tornadoes was see one for myself, and get pictures, something that only continued to become more appealing to me when I first saw the show 'Storm Chasers'. I currently use radarscope and GrLevel3 to monitor storms whenever I can, but my knowledge on reading different products is incredibly limited. I feel like I have a good understanding on BV, SRV, and BR, but I am really interested to learn about what else both programs have to offer.

Aside from gawking at storms on the radar, I like to play video games, program, and play guitar (even though I am horrible at it right now haha). Hope I see you all on the forums!

Hi everyone my names Jasmyn and I'm from Lincoln Nebraska but currently attend school in Minnesota! For as long as I can remember I have always been fascinated by storms. I love the feeling of the cold front moving through and the patterns lightning makes in the sky. Growing up I always off and on wanted to be a storm chaser but never really thought itd actually happen. But i was watching youtube videos the other day and realized it can just be a hobby and then I started seriously looking into it and now, well, here i am! 😅
Where in MN Jasmyn? I am from the Twin Cities area.

Moorhead! Right by Fargo ND!
There seem to be a couple of "mini tornado alleys" in Minnesota. Our prime season is June-August (once the snow melts...) The best area in MN is southern MN, along US 169, Mankato, St. Peter, New Ulm, etc... BUT, There also seems to be a second hotspot along the red river valley, moorhead up to Grand Forks area. Great chase country up there, as long as you have cell data. ( Verizon seems to be the best there I think.)

I think I forgot to ever post here! Active on the ST Discord but been lurking here for over a decade trying to listen to people far more experienced than I am instead of getting in the way.

Lifelong weather enthusiast from just outside Jasper, Alabama. Earliest human memory I can put a date to is watching Hurricane Opal's inland wind thrash around the pine trees at grandparent's house when I was four. Subsequent close calls with Alabama's frequent severe weather cemented a lifelong interest - especially the local tornadoes of April 16 1998 and November 10 2002, and being accidentally locked outside in a microburst. That'll leave a pretty massive impression on a middle schooler; had a severe phobia of wind for the better part of a decade.

Avid reader of every weather book I could get my hands on since the late 1990s though lack of internet until I was sixteen curtailed more advanced research. Had a lifelong dream of eventually working at NWS BMX but college funding and logistics plus a poor mathematical foundation led me to decide to leave that to the experts and remain an enthusiast.

Will absolutely chase eventually, but Dixie isn't super forgiving. Did manage to catch a brief EF0 tornado during my only actual chase during Tropical Storm Cindy in 2017 in Summerdale, AL - a chase I wrote an article about - so if I were to stop now, I could keep a perfect 100% chase record, muahaha. Also accidentally caught a weird anticyclonic maybe-nado at the end of the driveway the following year on a rare June day with tornadoes in Alabama, which despite not being officially confirmed was a thrilling and completely unexpected encounter.

I will probably remain in the shadows, listen, and learn, but am absolutely thrilled to be among kindred spirits and am dedicated to constantly learning. Seriously, meteorological research and thesis articles are like exciting novels, despite a lack of college level mathematical understanding. Other interests include trees and forestry, civil engineering, archaeology and ancient history (especially New World) roller coasters, art, architecture, and travel. I'll be around!

Hey everybody! I'm a recently joined member. I'm 21 years old and have been interested in weather, specifically tornadoes, since 2009 when I was just 11 years old. My understanding of weather evolved from watching storm chasers on tv, to watching TWC in 2010, live streams in 2011, and then eventually purchasing GR2AE so I could cover all events live. In that time I've learned a lot of the basics of meteorology, although most of my knowledge revolves around storm spotting. There's many complex things I don't understand, and after getting wind of a discord server and the community here, I decided I really wanted to put the effort in to learn more from people who have studied this for their entire lives.

Outside of weather, I'm in the military as a US army reservist and I enjoy anything from going shooting to playing csgo. I have a big interest in Football as well, and will rep my hometown Jaguars until the day I die. Well, unless Khan moves the team to London.

For most forecasting discussion, I'm probably going to lurk more than anything else or ask questions in the discord when I get the link. I want to learn more about what makes or breaks a setup, and also how I can use model trends to my advantage. In addition, situations where models get "thrown out" because of poor runs, such as a few days ago in IL where the HRRR handled the morning junk convection horribly, intrigue me as well. I hope to see you all around!

Howdy all! To soothe my SDS, I've decided to join ST. I've been a fan of severe weather since I was a wee little thing. I've been "casually" chasing for years with just a cell phone and MyRadar but last year I decided to start take chasing a bit more seriously. Bought myself a Nikon D7000 on Craigslist, a $15 Walmart tripod, and a RadarScope Pro subscription.

I was on the 6/21/19 event in Sharon Springs, KS and, even though I cracked a window (on a loaner vehicle no less), I was completely hooked. I'm lucky to live in Weld County, CO so I don't have to go *too* far for storms and am able to get off work early and jet out to the eastern plains just in time for initiation. I have A LOT to learn and figured ST would be a great place to pick up some tips/hints/tricks. I'm totally addicted to chasing now and am blessed to live so close to be able to partake in it.

Quick question, because I'm doing this as a hobby and am not contributing anything useful by being out there and chasing, what are the best practices for a hobby chaser to not be in the way and not be annoying? In other words, for you veteran chasers, what do you like to see in a beginner chaser? What habits should I develop that would make life easier for everyone?
Thanks! Looking forward to perusing the forums and getting to know you guys!

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!

Attachments

• 6.9.19_cloud-2.jpg
    6.9.19_cloud-2.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 0
  • lightning6.13.19.jpg
    lightning6.13.19.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 0
  • NIK_1419-2.jpg
    NIK_1419-2.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 0
  • NIK_1522.jpg
    NIK_1522.jpg