*New Users. Meet and Greet Area*

Nice to meet everyone. I've been a weather fanatic ever since I experienced the Joplin tornado. My wife and I volunteered for weeks afterward and it changed my life. My wife is a science teacher so we bounce things off of each other all of the time. Thank you, everyone, for sharing your knowledge and creating an atmosphere for everyone to learn and ultimately become better and safer storm chasers.
Thank you to your and your wife for your help in Joplin. It is my hometown, and my family was caught up in the storm. I never knew there was so much goodness in the universe as wrapped my town and my family in a hug the aftermath. Quite a lesson for a card-carrying cynic. To pay it forward, I am writing a book about the long-term recovery (physical health, mental health - short-term and long-term, jobs, the economy, politics, the rebuilding, the challenges). People in other cities will want to know how they can prepare and respond. Thanks again to you and all the other volunteers.

Hey everyone, Tim from central Oklahoma. I'm a local volunteer first responder, also involved in local emergency management, as well as an amateur radio operator. My interest in chasing/spotting has increased over the last few years due to my involvement/training as a local responder. I signed up here to learn and possibly meet some folks from my local area.
Welcome, Tim. You're seeing the challenges from a lot of angles. That can only help you. Having seen a lot of public-safety folks at the Skywarn seminars, I'm wondering what helped you the most from the seminars. Also, do you have a public storm shelter, and if so, how do you staff it? In one little NE OK town (blink and you missed it), a guy involved in running the shelter said the volunteer FD has the key since someone was always on call, anyway.

Thank you to your and your wife for your help in Joplin. It is my hometown, and my family was caught up in the storm. I never knew there was so much goodness in the universe as wrapped my town and my family in a hug the aftermath. Quite a lesson for a card-carrying cynic. To pay it forward, I am writing a book about the long-term recovery (physical health, mental health - short-term and long-term, jobs, the economy, politics, the rebuilding, the challenges). People in other cities will want to know how they can prepare and respond. Thanks again to you and all the other volunteers.
I too was there during the wee minutes after the storms, I was already working at the sheriffs office, dropped my car off at home, and chased the storm all the way there, and administered aid, and search, and rescue efforts to survivors of the storm. That tornado was the worst as far as damage to hard bodied buildings like the hospital, I’ve ever seen. The other one I chased at night being an EF-4 was at Altus, Denning, and Etna. It was total devastation in the pitch black darkness. Could smell gas lines that had bursted, had to walk over fallen power lines to search for victims who’s houses were flipped over on their foundations, and rolled through the field. I had multiple flashlights as it was so dark out there due to no power you could barely see 5 foot in front of you. Here’s a model of the monster EF-4, that originally had came over over our Sheriff’s station, I watched the circulation go over along with large amounts of hail, and then it tracked along the Sebastian county line into Franklin County. I got special permission from the then sheriff to take my patrol car to go chase it to the area it dropped down. Here’s a image of it, along with a link to read about it. Storm Analyzer: In-Depth Look At Etna/Denning/Clarksville Tornado

Attachments

• 778F0B38-49F4-4A43-AA9F-1823E6711C9D.jpeg
    778F0B38-49F4-4A43-AA9F-1823E6711C9D.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Welcome, Tim. You're seeing the challenges from a lot of angles. That can only help you. Having seen a lot of public-safety folks at the Skywarn seminars, I'm wondering what helped you the most from the seminars. Also, do you have a public storm shelter, and if so, how do you staff it? In one little NE OK town (blink and you missed it), a guy involved in running the shelter said the volunteer FD has the key since someone was always on call, anyway.
Also on another note Steve, the fire department has keys, the police dept, and in worse case scenario the sheriffs dept does. When I worked in a small town as a patrolman I had the keys to everything in the city, and as a SkyWarn, SpotterNetwork spotter, and also at that time I was adamantly studying meteorology on my down time, because at that time I’d been doing it 12+ years, but in a nutshell the police and FD have keys to the storm shelters.

Hi, my name is Elizabeth, and I came across Stormtrack after the SkyWarn forum was closed down and was looking through the helpful links in a book on storm spotting I acquired back in May. I have been National Weather Service certified, both Basic and Advanced combined, for nearly a decade, from the time I was thirteen onward. But my fascination with weather has gone on my entire life.

I'm based north of Wilmington, North Carolina and have been going on nine years, but grew up in Virginia for 13 years before then, and have seen a large variety of severe weather in all that time - hurricanes, ice storms, blizzards, severe thunderstorms, etc., though have never seen a tornado, and heaven forbid I ever find myself caught in the path of one.

I am an Amateur Radio Technician License Holder, call-sign KN4ROI, studying for my General exam. Being an amateur radio operator and SkyWarn spotter runs in my family - my mother, father, sister, as well as my uncle, aunt, and cousins on my father's side are all amateur radio operators - and my mother, father, sister, aunt and uncle are spotters and have been involved in various severe weather events in years past.

I hope that by joining Stormtrack I can connect with fellow spotters and weather enthusiasts and be able to teach others and learn from others myself.

Hi everyone! I'm Jenn. I was born and raised in Philadelphia and currently live in the burbs. I have been a weather enthusiast since I was a small child. Over 39 years later, I am on Spotter Network and I am certified through SKYWARN. I love to "chase" storms and I am very interested in weather photography. Being in Philly and the burbs, we miss a lot of the sexy stuff, so I also enjoy armchair chasing via live streams during peak tornado season. I am always interested in learning as much as I can. *waves* :)

My name is Christina Tracy and I've always been interested in watching severe weather every since I was a child. I live in SE Kansas and am looking forward to storm chasing safely.

Also on another note Steve, the fire department has keys, the police dept, and in worse case scenario the sheriffs dept does. When I worked in a small town as a patrolman I had the keys to everything in the city, and as a SkyWarn, SpotterNetwork spotter, and also at that time I was adamantly studying meteorology on my down time, because at that time I’d been doing it 12+ years, but in a nutshell the police and FD have keys to the storm shelters.
A belated "thank you," Dalton. There's a lot more to running a shelter than just having a shelter, isn't there?

I too was there during the wee minutes after the storms, I was already working at the sheriffs office, dropped my car off at home, and chased the storm all the way there, and administered aid, and search, and rescue efforts to survivors of the storm. That tornado was the worst as far as damage to hard bodied buildings like the hospital, I’ve ever seen. The other one I chased at night being an EF-4 was at Altus, Denning, and Etna. It was total devastation in the pitch black darkness. Could smell gas lines that had bursted, had to walk over fallen power lines to search for victims who’s houses were flipped over on their foundations, and rolled through the field. I had multiple flashlights as it was so dark out there due to no power you could barely see 5 foot in front of you. Here’s a model of the monster EF-4, that originally had came over over our Sheriff’s station, I watched the circulation go over along with large amounts of hail, and then it tracked along the Sebastian county line into Franklin County. I got special permission from the then sheriff to take my patrol car to go chase it to the area it dropped down. Here’s a image of it, along with a link to read about it. Storm Analyzer: In-Depth Look At Etna/Denning/Clarksville Tornado
I don't know why I didn't see this before now, but a big "thank you" to you, too, Dalton. If you were at Walmart, you may have helped my Mom.

I believe I read that Virginia Tech was planning to build a 3D model of the Joplin tornado, but I don't believe it happened.

My name is Christina Tracy and I've always been interested in watching severe weather every since I was a child. I live in SE Kansas and am looking forward to storm chasing safely.
Welcome, Christina, from across the border in SW MO. You may get your chance to chase this evening. We're in an Enhanced-Risk Area, with a weather watch likely by about 6:00 p.m., said the SPC. If you see a guy flying through the air in a black T-shirt, that will be me.

A belated "thank you," Dalton. There's a lot more to running a shelter than just having a shelter, isn't there?
Sure is. I’d much rather just have one at home, instead of running for cover. Been there done that. I was happy to have the storm shelter next to my office, but as you said there is more to running one than having one. I had patrolman to watch the shelters, and firefighters who were appointed to watch them. Thankfully everyone during the storms here were very civil, and understood that is the way it has to be.

I don't know why I didn't see this before now, but a big "thank you" to you, too, Dalton. If you were at Walmart, you may have helped my Mom.

I believe I read that Virginia Tech was planning to build a 3D model of the Joplin tornado, but I don't believe it happened.
I’ve not seen a new model come up yet. It would be amazing to see it reconstructed. The one I posted didn’t take any time for them to get it up and presented. Has anyone been up that way today?

Welcome, Christina, from across the border in SW MO. You may get your chance to chase this evening. We're in an Enhanced-Risk Area, with a weather watch likely by about 6:00 p.m., said the SPC. If you see a guy flying through the air in a black T-shirt, that will be me.
Btw how do you get the tornado status on your page? My just shows enthusiast and no tornado

Dalton Coody said:
Here’s a image of it,
36138_bab0d53a8b39a6249b8fbc7967d1e6c2_thumb.jpg
Are there any (free) apps for windows or android that will display 3-d of storms like that?

Are there any (free) apps for windows or android that will display 3-d of storms like that?
Only app I know of that will view a storm like that is WeatherLab, but it in no way shows it in anyway like this has done. I can’t remember who did this 3d model. I’m going to look online for something that I can do to see if there’s a model available or app to do this with.

Sure is. I’d much rather just have one at home, instead of running for cover. Been there done that. I was happy to have the storm shelter next to my office, but as you said there is more to running one than having one. I had patrolman to watch the shelters, and firefighters who were appointed to watch them. Thankfully everyone during the storms here were very civil, and understood that is the way it has to be.

What was your pet policy? It's a real contentious issue. People won't leave the remains of their homes unless Fluffy can go with them (she may be about all they have left). Where do you draw the line, though? Snakes are pets, too, yet I could see their arrival really ramping up the tension in an already tense situation. Also, you're bucking the trend in OK to *close* public shelters, aren't you?

True story. A motel clerk said she gathered the guests in the most secure place they had during a tornado warning. Well, the town's a big railroad town. Lots of crews laying over before taking trains back to their home terminal. The clerk said these "drunk railroad guys" were making things uncomfortable for the other guests in the "shelter." Not sure what they were doing, probably just being loud and drunk. But she said that, after a few minutes of this, she could see it in people's eyes that they were about ready to go outside and take their chances with the tornado.

What was your pet policy? It's a real contentious issue. People won't leave the remains of their homes unless Fluffy can go with them (she may be about all they have left). Where do you draw the line, though? Snakes are pets, too, yet I could see their arrival really ramping up the tension in an already tense situation. Also, you're bucking the trend in OK to *close* public shelters, aren't you?

True story. A motel clerk said she gathered the guests in the most secure place they had during a tornado warning. Well, the town's a big railroad town. Lots of crews laying over before taking trains back to their home terminal. The clerk said these "drunk railroad guys" were making things uncomfortable for the other guests in the "shelter." Not sure what they were doing, probably just being loud and drunk. But she said that, after a few minutes of this, she could see it in people's eyes that they were about ready to go outside and take their chances with the tornado.
I’d let them bring anything they wanted in as long as it was contained. Here in our area of Arkansas, the doors usually remain locked unless someone unlocks them, or EM official can electronically unlock them beforehand from a stationary post. Doesn’t do much good after a tornado if the powers out, but the shelters here including ones at schools are amazingly well built and house up to 300-500 people a piece

Hey everyone, I'm Calvin Thomas and I live in far eastern MO, a county south of St Louis. Some of you might have seen me around in the Discord but I've never really introduced myself here. I really haven't been interested in meteorology for too long compared to everyone else here, but that doesn't mean I'm not knowledgeable, and I plan to attend college for Atmospheric Science next year. I also enjoy staring at GR2Analyst for extended periods of time. Nice to meet y'all.

Hey everybody, thought I should introduce myself. My name is Justin, and I am currently 17. I live in Eagle Creek, Oregon. I have been a weather fanatic ever since I was 6 years old, and have seen my fair share of interesting weather (look at my profile pic, for example). I bought an old weather radio, and I constantly monitor the weather stations it provides.

Last edited:
Hey everybody, thought I should introduce myself. My name is Justin, and I am currently 17. I live in Eagle Creek, Oregon. I have been a weather fanatic ever since I was 6 years old, and have seen my fair share of interesting weather (look at my profile pic, for example). I bought an old weather radio, and I constantly monitor the weather stations it provides.
Hello I’m Jesi welcome to storm channel lol

Back