New incar wi-fi setup

Evening / morning all,

3 intrepid Aussie chasers hitting the plains in May this year. Trying to work out what would be the best way of being able to get on the net while mobile from LA to OKC and chasing the plains for a month. All seems incredibly confusing and would love any advice you might have. In Australia we have wireless broadband via USB dongle.......

many thanks,

The AUSSKY Chase Team

Evening / morning all,

3 intrepid Aussie chasers hitting the plains in May this year. Trying to work out what would be the best way of being able to get on the net while mobile from LA to OKC and chasing the plains for a month. All seems incredibly confusing and would love any advice you might have. In Australia we have wireless broadband via USB dongle.......

many thanks,

The AUSSKY Chase Team

If you're here less than a month, get Sprint. They have a 30 day return policy. Use it for a month, and return it to the store where you got it from - if they ask you why you don't want it, tell them it didn't work well where you needed it to. Otherwise, just buy an alltel card on ebay, activate it for the month, and deactivate it when your done. After activation, it'll cost about as much as renting a card for the month, but you'll be able to keep the card and use it again next year.

I purchased the Cradlepoint CTR350 to go with my Verizon Wireless USB727 and I have to say the results have been incredible. Highly recommended. The cradlepoint router is highly configurable and automatically reconnects upon signal loss.

Don't let Ben fool ya, he says he has good connectivity, he really has a 1000 ft spool of Cat5e that he uses to hook up with:) How do you think he keeps the latency so low?

I use the Novatel 727 also with Verizon and it works great. I also combine that with a maximum signal amp and have no worries.

I've had some issues with the data coverage on Autonet in North Mississippi lately. I do know that they have now upgraded the hardware for Rev. A compatibility. I'm going to try and do some comparision analysis since Autonet uses Alltel's PRLs to see if I get the same coverage in the same areas with Autonet and a cradlepoint hooked up to Alltel.

ok I'm sorry but I'm a bit confused ????

how does it hook into your laptop or does it ????? how did you get ahold of it and can Chasers or Law or Fire get ahold of it now. I don't want to have to wait until May when I need it now ?????? and yes these cell companies with these 2 yr plans is absolutly REDICULUS I talked to AT&T and she absolutly would not let me get anything less then a 2 yr contract and I guess I will use the MobilThreatNet for now until I can lay my hands on something else I would like to use the StormLab 4.0 Supercharged product just to try something new but I will not Absolutly will not get a 2yr plan I really can't afford it and that sucks. But hopefully MobilThreatNet will be enough at least for now. Please some more discussion on this topic please and I will keep reading the Great Posts.

"MyFoxDfw.Com"

"Weather you'll see only on FOX 4" Shawn C.

Fox 4-Warn StormTracker

Did you try a corporate ATT store ? Cause both AT&T and Alltel both offer no contract options and I can point you to links that will get you service without a contract. Call them and tell then that all you need is sim card and you will be good to go. Mention sim free and you will be set.

Ok please give me the links and I'll check them out and I did not realize that this thread was soooo long hehe dumb on my part or as the Great Gazoo on the flintstones would say Dumb Dumb hehehehehe. and I'm assuming that these devices hook into my laptop right ???? and I can activate them HOW ??????

"MYFOXDFW.COM"

Shawn C.

If you have a windows based phone such as a HTC or Palm with wifi you can download a program called wifi router. It will turn your phone into a wireless hotspot for your notebook. I use with with sprint's evdo palm 850 and it works great. best part of all you can find the program for free and you dont have to pay extra for a data card. I would not use it with 2g coverage though.

I bought a Cradlepoint CTR350 off 3gstore for $125, a USB727 for Verizon Wireless off eBay for about 85 and activated it month to month and hook it up to my wilson antenna. It's $60 a month, was $35 for activation. No contracts and it's worked well for me so far for the week and a half or so I've had it up and running.

I've also used WMWifiRouter on my HTC Apache (Verizon WIreless XV6700) but haven't put it on my HTC Touch Pro (Verizon Wireless XV6850) yet. I prefer to just use Internet Connection Sharing and a USB cable if I'm going to tether my phone.

I'm looking to get a wireless amp here in the future. Waiting on tax refund time.

Just ask the RSC to select the 0-month contract in the OPUS flow (it is a very simple step). If they tell you that they have to add the two year service commitment and then remove it, they don't know how to use the system, just ask for another RSC or move to the next AT&T location

Ok all I'll make this as simple as possible because I'm getting tired and my eyes are closing. ????

First - Is the Autonet thing out ???????? 2nd- does it work especially in the plains Tx,OK,KS those 3 areas does it have dead spots in those states ??? if so where ???? 3. is the Autonet available to Chasers/Spotters/ Law/Firefighters ????? 4. How much is the autonet thing ??? does it connect to your laptop or how does it connect and what all do you have to have to make it work ?????? and finally HOW much is it ??????? and does it come month to month or is there a Stupid contract ???? it's already March Chasers and I need Internet NOW and I am sure that some other chasers would agree with me on that and I want to try the StormLab 4.0 SuperCharged Program and Spotter Network and I need to get internet NOW to do this as well as other stuff. Some info on this please and I'm sorry if I sound irritated but I'm tired and I don't have time to read a very very very very long thread one page at a time.

"MyFOXDFW.COM"

"Weather you'll see only on Fox 4"

Shawn C.

Dear all

after doing some other things and calming down just a bit I am now Seriously considering getting the autonet mobil thing. I have seen alot of great posts on this and I am very very impressed by this remarkable achievment in Internet access. They have several local dealers in the DFW area. I am going to check it out this week and hopefully get one maybe soon and of course if I could get more info as you all give it that would be appreciated also.

"MYFOXDFW.COM"

"Weather you'll see only on Fox 4"

Shawn C.

Back