New incar wi-fi setup

This system sounds promising, despite the pricetag for equipment ($595). For several months now, their website has not had any updates on when they expect the rollout to be.

Dave, since you're apparently beta-testing the system, have you heard anything about when the system will actually be available?

While I was guardedly optimistic about this device earlier on in the game I no longer see what advantage it would have for chasers; other than those renting a car and no equipment of their own. Here's my rationale:

- despite looking like there might not be any contracts involved more recent statements do indicate that one would be required (although the terms might be relatively short). For those looking at this aspect of service Millenicom (http://www.millenicom.com/mobilebroadband/index.html) looks like a more viable option.

- The "mobile wifi" aspect of this device is easy to duplicate with your own data card and several models of routers on the market today. Those devices seem to be getting very favorable feedback from many users.

- Autonet has continuously pushed back deployment dates.. not abnormal in the tech world but this has proved to be unrealistic. Given that technology in this sector changes very fast I would hope their devices are software upgradeable otherwise the architecture will be almost obsolete by the time they get their butts in gear.

- Inquiries made to them seem to go unanswered for the most part, or they don't really provide the information being sought. The website doesn't really answer everyones questions either. Not a good start IMO.

No, I've since come up with the opinion that there are far better options available out there than these guys. Too bad... seemed like such a good idea in the early days...

Last edited by a moderator:
Autonet

Mike, I should speak to them for a post-chase evaluation within the next week or so, and will let you know any details I find out. I agree with John's perspective: repeated delays have hurt, especially when aircard/router combo's can accomplish the same thing.

Two comments I can make: 1) true plug-n-play simplicity is nice. We just plugged it in at the beginning of the day and let it run. 2) impressive coverage; I was concerned after hearing they only ran on Verizon infrastructure. I'm not sure why, but we had solid data coverage in areas where we had no Verizon voice service on our phones(even with an external antenna). We had great coverage in areas that I would not have expected it: middle of Yuma Co Colorado, far SW TX, etc.

It sounds like there are a number of good data options out there now, and from my experience the Autonet system is also a good option. Tentative pricing for the router isn't cheap, but if it were to come down, and they offered monthly/short term contracts, it would be an extremely attractive alternative for chasing. -Dave

I was out in a remote area south of Grand Rapids MI the other day - and had horrible problems with my voice signal but always got at least low-speed with my USB720 and often full high-speed too...

Mike, I should speak to them for a post-chase evaluation within the next week or so, and will let you know any details I find out. I agree with John's perspective: repeated delays have hurt, especially when aircard/router combo's can accomplish the same thing.

Two comments I can make: 1) true plug-n-play simplicity is nice. We just plugged it in at the beginning of the day and let it run. 2) impressive coverage; I was concerned after hearing they only ran on Verizon infrastructure. I'm not sure why, but we had solid data coverage in areas where we had no Verizon voice service on our phones(even with an external antenna). We had great coverage in areas that I would not have expected it: middle of Yuma Co Colorado, far SW TX, etc.

It sounds like there are a number of good data options out there now, and from my experience the Autonet system is also a good option. Tentative pricing for the router isn't cheap, but if it were to come down, and they offered monthly/short term contracts, it would be an extremely attractive alternative for chasing. -Dave

Dave,

We have had a fairly good experience with the Autonet system in our chase vehicle this year as well. Our biggest issues have came in parts of Mississippi. It seems that the box doesn't have any kind of connection in the entire northern portion of the state. Considering that we chase in that area quite a bit during the early Spring season, it was quite problematic. We were able to stream the Earle, AR tornado, however. That one area would help us tremendously....but I've been pretty happy with it otherwise.

Dave and I ended up using the Autonet at some hotels where the wi-fi was pretty crappy ... it allowed all of our student chasers to log on as well. We had 2 units, one for each van, and would sometimes plug in both of them in our rooms at night.

The funny thing ... the power went out for a while when the storm hit WaKeeney the night of May 22, and the Super 8's wi-fi never got back up that evening. So we brought in the Autonet units ... and noticed that a LOT more people were logged on than just our group. So some other chasers besides us benefitted from Autonet!

Well...they finally did it...Autonet mobile's website has been updated to reflect the ability to finally purchase their units.

http://www.autonetmobile.com/

Not too sure if I'm missing something but I dont see what the price of the unit is, I see its down to $29 a month but with a 1 year contract.

Well...they finally did it...Autonet mobile's website has been updated to reflect the ability to finally purchase their units.

http://www.autonetmobile.com/

Not too sure if I'm missing something but I dont see what the price of the unit is, I see its down to $29 a month but with a 1 year contract.

Per their FAQs:

The Autonet Mobile in-car router is $499 with a monthly subscription of $29. Tax and installation not included.

There is a review in today's USA Today on Autonet. There is a brief mention of storm chasers using the service on another article in that section.

Here is a link to the main article:
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/edwardbaig/2008-10-29-baig-autonet-review_N.htm

It is a bit expensive, $499 for the equipment. $29/ month for 1GB or $59/ month for 5GB. I have no idea how easy it is to hit those limits for normal chasing or if one decides to stream video or upload video to a station.

Bill Hark

As it seems to have fallen out, and suspected two years ago, the service is a wi-fi router with embedded EVDO broadband from Verizon(?) plus additional 1x coverage from another carrier. The cost and data limits are pretty much the same as what Verizon offers.

Advantages are that you apparently get additional 1x coverage; the unit is rugged and self-contained; you don't need a contract with another cell provider; and the monthly rate could be less depending on usage.

Disadvantages are that you apparently are tied to the fortunes and service of Autonet Mobile Corp.; and the router is significantly more expensive and somewhat less functional than comparable routers.

I'm typing this at a remote location from my regular broadband connected to the internet with my Linksys wireless mobile broadband router and inserted Verizon aircard. Right now I'm plugged directly into an ethernet port on the router rather than using wireless. This router ports in 1/2 minute to the back pocket of the drivers' seat using 12v accessory power and a Wilson mag-mount cell antenna. The setup has worked well on the road for the last two years, limited by the Verizon coverage area.

The CradlePoint CTR500 cellular travel router offers similar function in a very compact package for express card and usb aircards; and is the choice for my embedded whatsitz under development. Each router is <$200 rather than $500. FWIW.

Another vote for the Cradlepoint wireless router. I have one for my Alltel aircard and it works great.

Back