New incar wi-fi setup

I still don't see the advantage to this vs getting and aircard (free) and buying a 3G router if needed ($150) and paying $60 a month to Alltel?

This thing is already outdated. No Rev A without a hardware upgrade :(

Yeah.....I am curious to see if you have to get a full hardware upgrade or a firmware upgrade for that. I was kind of ticked that it was so slow on upload speed once I got the box. I am going to see what the deal is with that over the next few days. However, my list should be available in about 2 days. I have a few folks inquiring the ebay guy about the boxes as well just to see if he knows anything more. From what I gather, he doesn't.

From the Autonet representative I spoke with:

"There seems to be some confusion about Autonet ... Our service is a single provider and searches out the best signal or tower from our network but not the strongest of all networks. We are unique in that your connection is managed during this process instead of you manually logging back in and reconnecting when you move to a dfferent area."

I don't know what to believe now. What's their "network?" I cannot get ANYONE to answer that question. I was under the impression that Autonet's data came from both Verizon and Sprint. If that's not the case, I have absolutely no interest in Autonet.

This is what I was trying to tell people months ago . And people got pissed I was trying to tell everyone to be sure you knew what you know exactly what you are getting into . From the Speed tests I saw posted it appears the Carrier the service goes through is Verizon . I am sure everything is good But don't be afraid to ask questions before you make a commitment as you would with any cellular plan/contract.
you get into
From the Autonet representative I spoke with:

"There seems to be some confusion about Autonet ... Our service is a single provider and searches out the best signal or tower from our network but not the strongest of all networks. We are unique in that your connection is managed during this process instead of you manually logging back in and reconnecting when you move to a dfferent area."

I don't know what to believe now. What's their "network?" I cannot get ANYONE to answer that question. I was under the impression that Autonet's data came from both Verizon and Sprint. If that's not the case, I have absolutely no interest in Autonet.

The biggest selling point for me has been the reviews on this thread. "Never losing connection" "fast and easy" and so on. There has been an understanding in this thread that they do not just go through one carrier but several. That is the way I have understood the process - from the beginning of this thread until now.

Perhaps someone, who knows more about it, can chime in.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are unique in that your connection is managed during this process instead of you manually logging back in and reconnecting when you move to a dfferent area.

I've not had to do that with my Kyocera KPC680 and Verizon -- is that just random luck, or is the "reconnect" something from the old days?

Autonet summary

This will run a bit long, but it may save interested folks some time searching through the past postings on this topic: here are some qualitative observations on the Autonet unit based on using it since last year:

1) having tethered a phone for years and years, this was a step up in simplicity with no cables, etc. for me.

2) for whatever reason, it represents a step up from typical Verizon coverage I've had in the past(Kevin Myatt pretty much found it connecting everywhere he travelled in OK, TX, KS, NM...wasn't connected in the Commanche Grasslands in southeast CO, but when he hit a small town he reconnected even there; in the east, coverage between VA and FL was continuous; another tester found that in the Ohio Valley thru IL/WI/MI was constant, with some gaps further north in MN). Based on my Verizon connectivity in NE, IA, SD, etc. from past years, I would say connectivity there should be good.

3) with the exception of VA-FL, the coverage listed above is without using an external amp, etc.

4) I haven't monitored speed, but it is plenty fast for loading GR3, larger WxTap satellite images, model data, etc. (keep in mind that I have been happy with a bomber 14.4kbs connection in years past...connection consistency in rural areas has always been more important to me than blazing speed).

5) With a coax cable (TNC-male on both ends), you can connect the Autonet router to one of Gordon Spencer's amps (his Rockies kit also comes with an external antenna), and you are probably set with the best combo of coverage you are going to get with this particular unit.

6) I do find myself plugging the unit in at home(and on vacation) and using it at times while my wife uses our hard-wired DSL connection, so that is a plus.

7) I don't have any experience in comparing the performance of the unit with air cards, etc. from other carriers, or have any idea how quickly the technology will become outdated/obsolete, but for now, I'd say it works very well.

8) I am looking forward to chasing with this unit in May, and checking out its performance over the course of a 2-3 week chase trip. From my experience so far, it provides a simple way to connect with very good coverage.

9) I hope this post helps!

-Dave

This will run a bit long, but it may save interested folks some time searching through the past postings on this topic: here are some qualitative observations on the Autonet unit based on using it since last year:

1) having tethered a phone for years and years, this was a step up in simplicity with no cables, etc. for me.

2) for whatever reason, it represents a step up from typical Verizon coverage I've had in the past(Kevin Myatt pretty much found it connecting everywhere he travelled in OK, TX, KS, NM...wasn't connected in the Commanche Grasslands in southeast CO, but when he hit a small town he reconnected even there; in the east, coverage between VA and FL was continuous; another tester found that in the Ohio Valley thru IL/WI/MI was constant, with some gaps further north in MN). Based on my Verizon connectivity in NE, IA, SD, etc. from past years, I would say connectivity there should be good.

3) with the exception of VA-FL, the coverage listed above is without using an external amp, etc.

4) I haven't monitored speed, but it is plenty fast for loading GR3, larger WxTap satellite images, model data, etc. (keep in mind that I have been happy with a bomber 14.4kbs connection in years past...connection consistency in rural areas has always been more important to me than blazing speed).

5) With a coax cable (TNC-male on both ends), you can connect the Autonet router to one of Gordon Spencer's amps (his Rockies kit also comes with an external antenna), and you are probably set with the best combo of coverage you are going to get with this particular unit.

6) I do find myself plugging the unit in at home(and on vacation) and using it at times while my wife uses our hard-wired DSL connection, so that is a plus.

7) I don't have any experience in comparing the performance of the unit with air cards, etc. from other carriers, or have any idea how quickly the technology will become outdated/obsolete, but for now, I'd say it works very well.

8) I am looking forward to chasing with this unit in May, and checking out its performance over the course of a 2-3 week chase trip. From my experience so far, it provides a simple way to connect with very good coverage.

9) I hope this post helps!

-Dave
Thanks for summing it all up. I look forward to giving it a whirl. Sounds like everyone has been pleased with its performance.

So will this be available to the public by May? Any idea what the monrthy charge will be? Will they allow you to change/suspend plans in the off-season?

So will this be available to the public by May? Any idea what the monrthy charge will be? Will they allow you to change/suspend plans in the off-season?

May 2009 would be my guess j/k! The autonet people have told me that it will be $49.95 a month and that you may be able to suspend service in the winter . The unit will be $399. I am going to avoid this company cause they don't seem to have a clue at how to market there product or even care about customer service.:mad::rolleyes:

I just found out today.....the MSRP of the unit will NOT be 399, but it will be 595. So, I guess you can order from the ebay guy. :( The service will only be $39 instead of the $49. Also, Verizon looks to be the only carrier as I go through my data logs. It seems to stay connected in most areas though......so I don't understand how Verizon is the single carrier......but it is. I'm testing today with Gordon's amp that I have acquired. Have had a constant broadband connection traveling up Northeast AL today and headed towards TN. Watching stuff on Youtube as we speak....

I just found out today.....the MSRP of the unit will NOT be 399, but it will be 595. So, I guess you can order from the ebay guy. :( The service will only be $39 instead of the $49. Also, Verizon looks to be the only carrier as I go through my data logs. It seems to stay connected in most areas though......so I don't understand how Verizon is the single carrier......but it is. I'm testing today with Gordon's amp that I have acquired. Have had a constant broadband connection traveling up Northeast AL today and headed towards TN. Watching stuff on Youtube as we speak....
Hi Brett

I (like others) thought that the big sell on this was that it used multiple carriers and that was the reason it would stay connected? I know the reviews sound good - because people have stayed connected. Now we find out that it might be just one carrier?

Sounds like inflation is getting more than eggs (up 40%) and milk! lol :)

Did you ever get a list of dealers that you know or trust?

Thanks for you input and help on the topic. (oh and I hope you are not watching youtube and driving!!!! lol j/k)

Beau

Hi Brett

I (like others) thought that the big sell on this was that it used multiple carriers and that was the reason it would stay connected? I know the reviews sound good - because people have stayed connected. Now we find out that it might be just one carrier?

Sounds like inflation is getting more than eggs (up 40%) and milk! lol :)

Did you ever get a list of dealers that you know or trust?

Thanks for you input and help on the topic. (oh and I hope you are not watching youtube and driving!!!! lol j/k)

Beau

Well, Beau I haven't gotten the list yet. My contact just got back into town and is working on that. Same rep that Randy has been in contact with actually.

As soon as I get a list, I will post it up though. The wife is doing the driving currently and I am manning the GPS. I'll have to switch to the pilot seat in a short while I'm sure and she will take over the laptop.

I still think the unit is worthy.....especially if you can afford to get a data amplifier with it. It has proven to be an asset even when I was chasing through no mans land in Mississippi a few weeks ago.

Back