New incar wi-fi setup

They better get their company back on track...I have worked many angles and still the same crap from them. I do like the concept, but after awhile of not answered emails and empty promises, people will walk away from this. Including me. Us chasers can be a good chunk of cash for them, but maybe not large enough for them to care.

Here is another company I found that has a similar idea.

http://www.waav.com/index.html

They have a nice product, but it seems to only be on one carrier. (sprint)

Several observations/thoughts.. What is the need for this appliance as opposed to having an aircard and using network connection sharing to connect a router for other computers in the car? We did this in 2006, it's not rocket science and and it worked perfectly. All you'd really need is a hub with ethernet cables to get internet to everyone in the car. Share the host laptop's internet connection on this mini-network and everyone gets online using one aircard. Do this and choose your own aircard, network and plan.

It turned out I didn't like the idea of broadcasting WIFI while in motion, as it encouraged the unsafe act of driving while surfing the net in adjacent vehicles. A small hub and 3 ethernet cables would be better.

Several observations/thoughts.. What is the need for this appliance as opposed to having an aircard and using network connection sharing to connect a router for other computers in the car? We did this in 2006, it's not rocket science and and it worked perfectly. All you'd really need is a hub with ethernet cables to get internet to everyone in the car. Share the host laptop's internet connection on this mini-network and everyone gets online using one aircard. Do this and choose your own aircard, network and plan.

It turned out I didn't like the idea of broadcasting WIFI while in motion, as it encouraged the unsafe act of driving while surfing the net in adjacent vehicles. A small hub and 3 ethernet cables would be better.

This is what we did last year as well but the problem was that the speed "sounds" like it will be better with Autonet and the overall coverage "should" be better as well. Last year a US Cellular Air card was used and only getting an average speed of 40-80 kbps while Autonet is supposed to give us speeds of at least 80-150k in rural areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is another company I found that has a similar idea. http://www.waav.com/index.html
They have a nice product, but it seems to only be on one carrier.
I've already tested the WAAV X2 and while its a great box, its $1200 and again has internal cards you can't access or replace.
Fine if they never act up, but if they do, or you want to upgrade them... then what? send the box back to waav if under warranty i guess.

Company I work for is still contemplating the sale and support of X2, but aren't sure the price point meets the audience.

This sounds interesting and informative (from wiki):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_Nextel

Sprint's 4G Network

Sprint is currently rolling out its flavor of 4G by utilizing a higher speed wireless network using WiMAX technology. It will allow customers to access cable broadband like speeds wirelessly. The rollout is expected to reach 100 metropolitan areas and 100 million people by the end of 2008. Sprint expects to spend over 3 billion dollars upgrading the existing network to WiMAX technology, called Xohm. Motorola, Nokia and Samsung have expressed interest in developing dual CDMA and WiMAX phones, allowing customers to utilize both networks. More recently, Google and Sprint announced a formal partnership in deploying WiMAX technology, with Google providing search content along with Sprint. Recently Sprint announced that the 4G network is currently being deployed in the Chicago and Baltimore-Washington, D.C. markets. However these test markets will be used exclusively by Sprint employees first [13], then the general public in the same 2 markets will be able to test this network in early 2008

Sprint's data roaming agreements

On May 9, 2006 Sprint Nextel and Alltel agreed on a new Nationwide Roaming partnership. [15] [16] The new roaming agreement is for both voice and (1x & EV-DO) data roaming coverage. This new partnership is different from Alltel's voice-only roaming agreement with Verizon Wireless in that it is reciprocal, meaning customers from both companies get to roam on to each other's networks, giving Alltel customers access to Sprint's 1x & EV-DO network, and Sprint customers access to Alltel's denser rural 1x & EV-DO voice and data coverage. This agreement represents the first of its kind between US wireless carriers.
Sprint and Verizon Wireless agreed on a data roaming agreement. [17] This agreement is reciprocal, just like the Sprint-Alltel data roaming agreement that has already been effect. This data roaming even allows for the use of Sprint Power Vision's content like TV, movie downloads, and stream radio in Verizon's CDMA 1x parts of the nation.
Additionally, Sprint and US Cellular have a data (1xRTT) and voice roaming agreement.
Sprint, more than any of the top 3 US wireless carriers, relies heavily upon domestic roaming to allow its customers to make and receive calls in and outside its coverage area. It is widely agreed that this roaming necessity will lessen as the carrier expands its native footprint.
This tells me a few things (without comparing to At&t/Cingular) Sprint seems to have the most advanced data network with more roaming agreements with other carriers for for voice/data including EVDO. They will be rolling out the much anticipated 4G Wimax with lots of coverage by the end of 2008.

Also, the speeds using EVDO Rev A are very fast and in fact are likely faster than Autonet which will be using the same Network but probably is a Rev O device. I believe EVDO can go up to 1.4 Mbps download. With Wimax in the background this makes Sprint a good choice for future upgradeabity and cutting edge speeds.

I see no advantage in using Autonet's slower system and paying $399 for the device and $49/mo. That is assuming that I can get into a Sprint plan for less and have a reasonably priced data plan. The only advantage I see is that it autodials and autoconnects always keeping a connection. My guess is we could rig up a way to do this through software with a standard cellphone / aircard. The wireless router component as others have mentioned is no big deal. Any of us can get a cheap router and plug it in for this feature.

It appears most of these agreements are Sprint-->someone else so I'm guessing that Verizon even though they share with Sprint may not have the same roaming agreements with Alltel, etc although they may. I'll have to check into this. Same question goes for Alltel.

Last edited by a moderator:
They will be rolling out the much anticipated 4G Wimax with lots of coverage by the end of 2008.
That much I'll disagree with. Its taken over 18mos to get as far as sprint has with Rev-A deployment, and they are NOT done yet.
... they won't be done for many months yet as evidenced by the many areas still in 1xRTT coverage.

There is no chance for "lots" of WiMax coverage by end of '08. at best, i'd be surprised if the list comprised the top 50 major cities.

It appears most of these agreements are Sprint-->someone else so I'm guessing that Verizon even though they share with Sprint may not have the same roaming agreements with Alltel, etc although they may. I'll have to check into this. Same question goes for Alltel.

Verizon's roaming agreement with alltel is at 1xRTT only, not EVDO.

I tell people the same thing as you've surmised: Sprint's TOTAL footprint of high speed EVDO is the largest in nation, when you consider alltel roaming.

Ok, here's another thing. I'm currently going month to month with Verizon but my V120e is only 1XRTT capable. However I have a unique hold over plan whereby my data is tied to my voice plan and can be used interchangeably. During months I tend to chase I only need to increase my minutes. I'm thinking in order to take full advantage of Verizon's "Broadband Access/National Access" service as EVDO Rev A I need only purchase a compatible phone and add it to my plan / activate on their website. This would be through a dongle as I currently connect. Does anyone see anything wrong with this line of thinking? I may still wish to go with Sprint if they actually have a bigger network (more roaming agreements) or cheaper overall using the flat rate data plan. I know folks say you get knocked off your data calls when using a dongled phone to notebook, but Gene Moore doesn't have that problem when using AT&T. He can pick up the phone and call while downloading data. Any thoughts here?

Anyone recommend a EVDO Rev A phone which can be dongled?

I'm thinking in order to take full advantage of Verizon's "Broadband Access/National Access" service as EVDO Rev A I need only purchase a compatible phone and add it to my plan / activate on their website...
...I know folks say you get knocked off your data calls when using a dongled phone to notebook, but Gene Moore doesn't have that problem when using AT&T. He can pick up the phone and call while downloading data. Any thoughts here?

First, there are no Rev-A phones. Nada. Zip.
The closest to being Rev-A is the xv6800, which is "Rev-A Capable" but does not have firmware to allow actual Rev-A use yet. And folks have been waiting for the firmware on Sprint side, since the phone was released for Sprint users last summer. Don't hold your breath for a Rev-A phone as I have been.

Don't knock the current crop of Rev-0 phones though. here's a speed test done last night with a Verizon Motorola Q, tethered to my MacBook Pro:

225602392.png

Lastly, there is a big difference between AT*T and Verizon technology. Their phones can do data and voice at same time... Verizon and Sprint cannot.

Afterthought: one more reason not to tether and use dedicated data device instead: there are areas of extended roaming coverage where a dedicated data device WILL work at 1xRTT, but a tethered phone will NOT. For max coverage, dedicated data device like that UM150 i showed in earlier picture, is the best choice.

First, there are no Rev-A phones. Nada. Zip.

Ok, that explains why I can't find any off of Google. Oh well, it sounded like a good idea.

Don't knock the current crop of Rev-0 phones though. here's a speed test done last night with a Verizon Motorola Q, tethered to my MacBook Pro:

Yes, that is quite impressive. Perhaps for chasing Rev A is not essential if the potential for those types of speeds are currently available for Rev 0. Probably the main people interested would be those trying to upload video to the networks. I don't usually do that. Verizon limits bandwidth usage though - sadly. See the wiki article on Verizon Wireless that talks about it.

Lastly, there is a big difference between AT*T and Verizon technology. Their phones can do data and voice at same time... Verizon and Sprint cannot.

Ok, well that finally explains why Gene's phone has this capability. Neither of us understood that, and no one else ever believed him. I think they thought he was lying or making it up. :D

Afterthought: one more reason not to tether and use dedicated data device instead: there are areas of extended roaming coverage where a dedicated data device WILL work at 1xRTT, but a tethered phone will NOT. For max coverage, dedicated data device like that UM150 i showed in earlier picture, is the best choice.

Are you sure? How do you know this? What do you base it on?

Oh, another thing. I recall Gene mentioning that whenever he lost a connection via Cingular (now AT&T) the phone would auto reconnect much like Autonet. Are you aware of a way to do this with Sprint or Verizon?

That much I'll disagree with. Its taken over 18mos to get as far as sprint has with Rev-A deployment, and they are NOT done yet.
... they won't be done for many months yet as evidenced by the many areas still in 1xRTT coverage.

There is no chance for "lots" of WiMax coverage by end of '08. at best, i'd be surprised if the list comprised the top 50 major cities.

Perhaps they will jump straight from 1xRTT to Wimax and leapfrog Rev A. If 100 million people are covered at the end of 2008 it will likely be the major cities. Rural (as a guess) will probably be last.

Are you sure? How do you know this? What do you base it on?

Oh, another thing. I recall Gene mentioning that whenever he lost a connection via Cingular (now AT&T) the phone would auto reconnect much like Autonet. Are you aware of a way to do this with Sprint or Verizon?

Many of my customers are fulltime RVers who have been in areas where they cannot tether and found folks using data devices that worked fine. this causes a lot of them to pursue the data device because they want expanded coverage area:

here is more on subject:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/InternetByDataCard/message/1461

nope, can't say i know of a way for an EVDO phone to re-connect a dropped connection. and for as long as i've owned at AT&T phone (9yrs) I've never had a phone that did what Gene described!

I came accross this on the Sprint website. It sounds like exactly what I am looking for. A cellular based data source that auto-reconnects. Is that how you guys understand this?

Under: Merlinâ„¢ S720 by Novatel Wireless

Software
Single Sprint® Connection Manager that supports Novatel Wireless product line (S620, S720, U720 and EX720) with one client to access Sprint's Mobile Broadband (EV-DO Rev 0 & A) and Vision (1xRTT) networks. Connection Manager supports Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), which is a Network Adapter that allows for "Always On", Auto-Connect, faster connection time and Intelligent Data Traffic Routing. No client required to connect.

Having had both Novatell and Sierra Wireless cards, get a Sierra card. And yes, all the Sprint datacards are "always on" autoconnecting if you set that option in the software. As long as it has signal it will make, or attempt to make a connection, and usually seemlessly jumps from network to roaming and tower to tower.

I just recently got the Sierra 597E which is the top of the line current card. Requires an express card port. Has a solid external antenna port.

Back