New incar wi-fi setup

Doesn't Autonet know this? They are the ones who said $60-$70 per month, so you are accusing them of deliberate misleading -- and the only reason you can claim that is "just because"... I'd love to hear some real reasonings other than that?!?

Doesn't Autonet know this? They are the ones who said $60-$70 per month, so you are accusing them of deliberate misleading -- and the only reason you can claim that is "just because"... I'd love to hear some real reasonings other than that?!?

I thought they were saying $50 per month. If the autonet system is out by February I will consider it. If it isn't out by them I will go with a Sprint data card.

Autonet never said what commitment was needed for a $60 - $70 rate .Fact is they have never given any details of thier coverage , terms of service , rates or anything . It all has just been speculation from members of these forums. I am just trying to prepare you folks for the worst . I have no stake in whether you buy Autonet or any other Cellular broadband service. I really could care less. I work with all the carriers and just trying to pass on what wisdom I have from my dealings in the cellular community .So please I am not anti Autonet - just pro Storm chaser and do not want to see anyone get burned. If they are going to be a pay per use deal . Be careful . Four very well Funded MVNO cellular companies ( pay as you use ) have gone bellyup in the last year including Amp'd , ESPN Cellular offering and Disney's. Even if you do get the sweetheart deal you are looking for and I hope you all do . There is nothing to stop them from folding up the operation 3 months after you get it because some bean counters decide the future is not as bright as people thought it would be. And The consumer is left holding the bag with an expensive piece of equipment that has no use now and no service!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just spoke to Tech Support at AutoNet & I was told that in about 2 weeks the company will offer an unlimited service plan for all those who have Pre-Ordered for $49.99/mo. w/ the unit costing $399 (he didn't know the contract length).

Their Pre-Order space is on their homepage (about halfway down on the right-side). To Pre-Order, you need to provide your email address & phone #.

Going to have to talk with my guy about the post above because the only paperwork that I was given concerned a year, two year, and three year agreement. I do know that the pre-orders are going to be filled very soon and the roll out process is beginning. My unit is in the mail and is pegged to be here by the 15th of January.

I'll get back with you after James gives me a little more information.

Got home this morning to find this at my door...

100_6059.jpg

100_6060.jpg

100_6061.jpg

100_6062.jpg

100_6063.jpg

I'm on it right now and have rode around with it a bit while watching storms. The connection this far has been flawless and I have uploaded a good bit of pictures with it. I'll give it a good test run in the woods either tomorrow or/and Thursday. Glad to see that they are making progress!!!

Any ideas when this is going to be available to the chasing community? Is their any way for you to find out?

Nice Brett! How did you get so high on the list:)

Can you tell me what the ports are or better yet snap a pic of them. I am wondering about the possibility to get a external antenna hooked up.

I have been on the list and am hopig I can snag one of my very own soon!

I just called the autonet people and the guy told me that in the next few weeks they should release the service plans. He told me that he thinks there will be a monthy plan, which i think that is what we are all hoping for. He told me that the monthy price should be between 40 and 60 dollars a month. He also said that if you sign up and pre-order that they will give you a discounted price. This all sounds way to good to be true but lets hope it is all true. I am very excited about this product. I would recommend signing up for their newsletter that way they send you an e-mail when they come out with the prices and everything.

Sweet deal. The monthly thing is what we all want. That price is competitive to current cell phone cards, and this is way better.

I signed up for the email newsletter and stuff, but never got any sort of confirmation. Hope they are actually keeping track of their interested customers! :rolleyes:

Their press release says a retail price of $399 for the unit and a monthly charge of $49. I am sure this will change depending on length of contract signed.

Well, I have tested the autonet unit all over this area. It has been flawless thus far so I will be impressed and interested to see how it works over the chase day coming up on Thursday.

Glad to see that you guys are having luck contacting the guys at Autonet because I haven't been able to get my contact for a few days. I believe that he is on vacation or something.

If you could when you speak to an autonet rep, please mention that I recommended them highly as a tester. That would help me out a TON. They want to see if I can bring enough people forward to become a dealer so I need all of help that I can get. Thanks again!

Hey Brett how did you get it so quickly. Did you pre-order a long time ago or something? How does the pre-order work? Does it just show up at your door and then you send in the money and if so how much was it exactly?

Anybody know the speeds required for using VOIP phones? I'm curious in case I wanted to use Autonet for home internet access and then portability on the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back