New incar wi-fi setup

I did the phone as modem thing for a couple years. It just became more aggravating that helpful. I guess I call or am called by too many people while chasing... Either way, I didn't like to have to choose data OR call... You can only do both on some of the new phones in EVDO coverage. I got the data card last spring and never looked back.

-John

Well, it's official now....I am sponsored by Autonet Mobile. I will be receiving a unit to test and give a testimonial. I will likely be promoting the product and possibly become a distributor. I don't think Autonet is going to distribute themselves, or if they do it may not last long. All indications are that this will definitely be a go for the general public within a few weeks after the new year begins. I'll be back in contact with them tomorrow for a meeting...so if there is anything you guys would like to know just post it up here.

Thanks for the update Brett. I know a question that many of us have been wondering is if they'll allow you to use the product/service without a contract that you have to sign for 1 or 2 years, like most cellular providers. Perhaps you could find that out. They would make a lot of prospective customers happy if you could pay for what you need, and then shut the service off when not needed. :)

If there are any other technical details that aren't on their website that you can post, that'd be great too!

I meant to bring up the contract question today, but I was busy with other things. I will definitely ask him that tomorrow. I'll try to find out if there will be data packages or unlimited data of sorts as well.

All indications are that this will definitely be a go for the general public within a few weeks after the new year begins. quote]

I have heard so many different stories from that company. :p I will believe it when I see it. Talking to them on the phone...promises promises! I was excited early on...have sort of lost interest after they kept changing dates.

We shall see! I am sure that one day - eventually - it will come on the market. By that time, though, something bigger and better will be available! The fast lane of technology.

I know several have sent PM's but I will try to answer most of your questions here as soon as I get the answers. First of all, I am told that the data will be available fully unlimited and that it will be sold on a yearly or bi-yearly basis, thus contracts will not be an issue with the data. However, it could be difficult for them if they don't sell the data monthly which is something I am trying to make them understand. (All chasers won't need this year round I'm sure) I will be finding out if you can use this unit outside of your vehicle and how many connections are allowed per unit. Keep them coming!

Problem is these people I am positive will have to activate thier product through one of the Cellular carriers. The carriers will require a commitmment from them just like anyone . So they will require the same sort of commitment out of the end user.

I know several have sent PM's but I will try to answer most of your questions here as soon as I get the answers. First of all, I am told that the data will be available fully unlimited and that it will be sold on a yearly or bi-yearly basis, thus contracts will not be an issue with the data. However, it could be difficult for them if they don't sell the data monthly which is something I am trying to make them understand. (All chasers won't need this year round I'm sure) I will be finding out if you can use this unit outside of your vehicle and how many connections are allowed per unit. Keep them coming!

Problem is these people I am positive will have to activate thier product through one of the Cellular carriers. The carriers will require a commitmment from them just like anyone . So they will require the same sort of commitment out of the end user.

Not necessarily. There is some precedent here; you can already "rent" cell phones (including data) from several outfits in the U.S. Some of them for seasonal use. No contract required, however the price is quite prohibitive for chasing use. Like everyone else here I'm a bit skeptical that these guys are going to deliver, but the promise of reasonably-priced "no contract data" is something I think would be well received in the community if it ever happens.

When you do rent a cell phone you pay a heavily inflated rate. Usually 400 -500 % of what you would pay if under a yearly contract . The are services out there that rent EVDO cards at $200 - $400 per month when the rate if you yourself had a contract is $60 per month. If you do the math you end up paying for a whole year of service in a couple of months . I am sure that will be the same deal here . The cellular carriers will not just activate the unit on thier network without a minimum 1 year commitment . That cost will be passed on for sure. I am sorry but that is the way it will work . The one thing I do know is cellular and the cellular carriers and they are not about to give anyone a bargain. Sorry to be the voice of reason here, but do not think these folks to be throwing any bargains around because you just want to use thier service for 2 or 3 months. I hope they succeed , I have no agenda here and nothing against them . Just trying to inject a little reality into how the cellular world works so people are not nearly as dissapointed when the company does release thier terms of service and information
Not necessarily. There is some precedent here; you can already "rent" cell phones (including data) from several outfits in the U.S. Some of them for seasonal use. No contract required, however the price is quite prohibitive for chasing use. Like everyone else here I'm a bit skeptical that these guys are going to deliver, but the promise of reasonably-priced "no contract data" is something I think would be well received in the community if it ever happens.

So you're saying that the early rates we've been given are just bald-faced lies? What sort of info do you have to support that claim? It's certainly going to change the outlook if they're charing $200 per month instead of $60-70...

The cellular carriers will not just activate the unit on thier network without a minimum 1 year commitment .

Why not? Many carriers allow a person to activate a phone and pay month to month with no contract at all. Sure there are no incentives (subsidized cell phone price, preferential rate plans etc) but you can do it. How is this any different? In this case we're using a 3rd party that is using a roaming agreement with several carriers.

This isn't much different than roaming agreements between different carriers. The roaming partner doesn't ask the other carrier to ensure it's subscribers has a set contract period... as long as they get their money things work. If Autonet has negotiated a roaming agreement between themselves and the various cell carriers than the onus is upon them to recoup their costs. If they want to do that with/without contracts it really has nothing to do with the carriers.

Last edited by a moderator:
You better check your facts on this . The only devices any carriers do this for are pay as you go phones or you can go month to month once you have fufilled your original contract but not from the start. They will not do it . Especially on Data. They have invested too much in thier High speed networks not too get commitments. It is all a mute point till these folks put out some details . But I know the carriers and how they work.I guess everyone thinks if they wish hard enough this will just happen . The cellular carriers are not very charitable people so don't count on it. I don't think the autonet people are in this to loose money either .

Why not? Many carriers allow a person to activate a phone and pay month to month with no contract at all. Sure there are no incentives (subsidized cell phone price, preferential rate plans etc) but you can do it. How is this any different? In this case we're using a 3rd party that is using a roaming agreement with several carriers.

This isn't much different than roaming agreements between different carriers. The roaming partner doesn't ask the other carrier to ensure it's subscribers has a set contract period... as long as they get their money things work. If Autonet has negotiated a roaming agreement between themselves and the various cell carriers than the onus is upon them to recoup their costs. If they want to do that with/without contracts it really has nothing to do with the carriers.

I have no problem with a contract with AutoNet. After all, I had a 2 year contract with Verizon I will just switch over to AutoNet. My contract is up with Verizon now and I am just going month by month until AutoNet is finally available.

You better check your facts on this . The only devices any carriers do this for are pay as you go phones or you can go month to month once you have fufilled your original contract but not from the start.

Do a google search. There's several that offer post-paid accounts.. meaning that you don't need to pre-pay. Right from the start. A credit check is required though.

My point in all this being that Autonet is not a carrier. They are an intermediary. Your "contract" if any will be with them, not the carrier.. making your comments somewhat non-applicable.

My point is autonet will have to make a commitment to the carrier . They will in turn need you to make a major commitment to them or pay a very high price not do do so . And they they will have to activate the ESN of the device with one carrier and then count on the carrier's roaming agreements . The device must be activated with a carrier to be recognized by the tower management systems .
Do a google search. There's several that offer post-paid accounts.. meaning that you don't need to pre-pay. Right from the start. A credit check is required though.

My point in all this being that Autonet is not a carrier. They are an intermediary. Your "contract" if any will be with them, not the carrier.. making your comments somewhat non-applicable.

Back