New Forecast Soundings Online - SHARPpy

Are these error logs of any value? I get them periodically - this was just from running the 18Z NAM on a site in MO.View attachment 7178

Those are semi-normal runtime warnings from the numerics library, numpy. There's not a whole lot that can be done about those (that I know of), as it primarily has to do with the input data. Extremely dry moisture profiles or large moisture discontinuities can sometimes cause those warnings (they can cause some divide by zero errors).

Greg/Kelton/Tim:

I have one suggestion regarding sounding modification - can you add a feature similar to the "interpolate" function in SPC's version of NSHARP? It's much easier to manipulate the temperature or moisture profiles when you have the sounding interpolated to something like 25 mb vertical resolution, instead of having to move every single level in the profile. Otherwise, it looks good and y'all are staying true to NSHARP with the look and feel of SHARPpy.

Thanks for the update KH! Does "issues" include "feature requests"? I'll hold off on those "warning" messages unless I see something that really looks out of place and/or impacts functionality.

Maybe I'm just missing it -- is there a precip output display somewhere like BUFKIT? I've got the winter screen pulled up, but is there somewhere which shows how much QPF the model is spitting out for that hour/3hrs?

Right now, no. The reason is SHARPpy uses base fields to calculate everything, whereas BUFKIT uses the model BUFR files that have model derived precip (and other fields).

Precip could potentially be added since we read BUFR files, but we would have to figure out what to do if that field (or others like it) weren't in the input data.

Here's my quick-n-dirty Windows install. Take a look... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6375163/SHARPpy.mp4

I'm getting ths error when I follow your setup.
4413532_orig.png

I got the same error too and I have installed Git already. Does Git need to be installed to a specific directory? I am very new to Python so very clear directions may be needed.

You don't need the git command line. On the SHARPpy github page click the "Download ZIP" button. Unzip the source code and place in a location of your choice on your system. Except for the git stuff all of rdale's other instructions are exactly the same.

And for what it's worth TortoiseGit is one of the better Git clients if command line tools aren't your thing.

Last edited:
SHARPpy v1.2.0 "El Reno" has been released to the wild, including the new sounding map selector and SARS sounding interactivity. Release notes and download: https://github.com/sharppy/SHARPpy/releases/tag/v1.2.0-El-Reno-beta

I get the following error when I try to run this updated version (in Mac OS X):

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "full_gui.py", line 11, in <module>
from sharppy.viz import SkewApp, MapWidget
ImportError: cannot import name MapWidget

I get the following error when I try to run this updated version (in Mac OS X):

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "full_gui.py", line 11, in <module>
from sharppy.viz import SkewApp, MapWidget
ImportError: cannot import name MapWidget

Andy, by chance did you forget to run the 'python setup.py install' command? I forgot to do this a couple of times when updating some computers that were using it and got the same error. Try running that again and let me know if you still have issues.

Back