Are You Ready to Participate in Forecast Discussions?

Good points Bob and Skip. And personally, I think it would be wonderful idea to allow causal forecasts into the introductory discussions for some newer folks. As Bob said, the format will have already been learned and I think it will help to build confidence as well!

FYI, hopefully it is just me, but I am having a hard time reading Neil Rasmussens posts - I am not seeing his reply for some reason. Am I missing something?

Honestly I'd be totally surprised if someone can chase better using their own brain rather than the power of hundreds of people with SPC, TWC, etc. I honestly don't know what the point is. I want to chase and I don't want to waste time and money on doing my own forecast just to bust. It's possible to have an intellectual discussion with how accurate each site, model etc is and come up with probably a much better forecast than if you studied stuff yourself for years.

The OP and thread were created to give members on ST a few guidelines to follow on whether or not they should be posting in the Target Area or Introductory Weather and Chasing forum. It's suppose to cause a person to do a little introspection and be honest with themselves on which forum they should be posting in. Consider it a litmus test of sorts that will help guide you through the decision making process, and where the most appropriate forum to create posts and threads in actually is in the future.

Bob: Good ideas. While I'm always available to help with any questions about Skew-Ts, etc ... I also would like to know what you (and others) want to see on a sounding diagrams to better help with storm chasing.

Honestly I'd be totally surprised if someone can chase better using their own brain rather than the power of hundreds of people with SPC, TWC, etc. I honestly don't know what the point is. I want to chase and I don't want to waste time and money on doing my own forecast just to bust. It's possible to have an intellectual discussion with how accurate each site, model etc is and come up with probably a much better forecast than if you studied stuff yourself for years.

My point is this: If we are all about getting to the severe weather it shouldn't matter the exact way it's done as long as the person has been somewhat successful and may have a tidbit to offer. I think I've had very good success just using SPC and TWC along with forecast radar. A lot of times when I couldn't see a current radar view, just experience at looking at thunderstorm development has helped me a lot. I've refreshed my memory about Skew-t's, been educated on here about where to look for divergence and learned about shear from experience looking at SPC and current mesoanalysis. I"m not even close to becoming a meteorologist though. Experience can prove a very powerful tool that shouldn't be discredited.

On principle I think you're correct, but I also think it depends on how much experience and knowledge the person has. Obviously an amateur shouldn't take matters into their own hands, but if we're relying on other people (no matter how credible), not only will we never learn how to forecast ourselves, I think we're selling ourselves short.

Evacuation decisions and whatnot should obviously be made by professionals communicating to emergency managers, and there's definitely utility in having outside sources make their own forecasts or verify your own. It's surprisingly easy to forget an important piece of data in a forecast if you go it alone, simply due to the sheer amount of time it takes to compile a decent forecast. As a whole though, I know some people that have come far enough to make chasing decisions on their own merits. It's not a common theme, though.

I've been a "product chaser" for many many years now. I know storm structure at a look, and can judge and anticipate storm movement once I'm within viewing range with about a 90% success rate, provided that I have my mobile computer setup, a cell signal, and current radar data. That being said, I am a "product chaser". I require the SPC outlooks, NWS/TWC forecasts, and advance radar data, to be successful. I cannot forecast to save myself, other than walking outside on certain days and saying "it feels like it's going to be bad today", which is a 50/50 shot.

I'd like to learn, but some of the concepts are outside of my realm of understanding, and my ability to process math. The furthest I successfully completed math in high school (mid-1990's) was 9th grade-level Algebra and 10th-grade level Geometry, failed Algebra II, failed Intro to Trig, and in a record attempt, failed Algebra II a second time in college. My high school also didn't put a huge focus on sciences, and my last sciences class was Basic Earth Sciences in 1996.

Kind of sucks to say it. I do the best I can, but this is one subject that I could use massive improvement on. Problem is, I have no idea how to get around this issue. For having been in the field for 20 years, as of today all I am qualified to do is read the forecast discussions.

I'd like to learn, but some of the concepts are outside of my realm of understanding, and my ability to process math. The furthest I successfully completed math in high school (mid-1990's) was 9th grade-level Algebra and 10th-grade level Geometry, failed Algebra II, failed Intro to Trig, and in a record attempt, failed Algebra II a second time in college. My high school also didn't put a huge focus on sciences, and my last sciences class was Basic Earth Sciences in 1996.

Kind of sucks to say it. I do the best I can, but this is one subject that I could use massive improvement on. Problem is, I have no idea how to get around this issue. For having been in the field for 20 years, as of today all I am qualified to do is read the forecast discussions.

It has been three and a half years since I posted the original sticky. Back then I was one of the moderators; today I'm just a civilian, and Stormtrack has fallen into a new, forward-looking ownership with a fine administrative team. Because I chase far less than I'd like to anymore, I've become something of a rarity on this forum. So I'm surprised, and rather gratified, to see that my post still has some traction. Having just reviewed it, I think the reason why is because the points I expressed remain relevant. I also think that while members who've been on this forum five or more years grasp the reasoning behind those points, my original post also remains prone to being misunderstood by some readers.

B. Dean Berry, I want to offer you a word of encouragement about learning forecasting. You don't have to be a math head to become adept at identifying chaseworthy setups and choosing a target area. My math skills stink like a cadaver fart, but that's not what it's about. You don't need to know calculus, physics, and a host of bewildering equations and such--not unless you plan to pursue a meteorology degree and move into the deeper end of things. To be sure, there are folks here who, since I first joined ST years ago, have done just that and acquired knowledge that easily eclipses mine. But I understand the basics, and I keep adding to them. All it takes is a desire to learn. I won't say it's easy, but it's not as hard as you think. Not if you stick with it and ask questions.

There are three ingredients necessary for thunderstorms: moisture, instability, and lift. For severe storms, including supercells, add a fourth ingredient: vertical wind shear. For tornadoes, add a fifth: low-level helicity. That's it. No math involved, just an understanding of how those things work together and of how the different forecasting tools--surface charts, satellite, upper air maps, the skew-T, etc.--can help you piece together a picture of what's happening and what to expect.

Learning that stuff is fun and rewarding, and there are all kinds of resources to assist you. If you simply don't care to do so and you're content to fly by the SPC forecasts, that's fine. If all you want to do is see tornadoes, doing so is much easier today than it used to be. But there's a certain satisfaction in making your own forecasts, and there's knowledge to be gained that can make the difference between boom and bust even on the "big" days.

I'll leave it at that and wish you well in your pursuit of convective magnificence.

Last edited:
Hi. I am new here, so I don't have much in the way of SCIENTIFIC knowledge of forecasting, but I do know a little bit about the OLD-FASHIONED way of forecasting, such as how the smoke from a chimney can tell you what type of weather you may or may not have on a given day. I would really like to know more than just old wive's tales of forecasting, though. If anyone wants to help me clean the knowledge and experience, please let me know.

Sent from my XT1585 using Stormtrack mobile app

Back