New England/Northeast spotters and chasers

BK Noonan

Enthusiast
Now that severe weather season is slowly starting to grace us with its presence here in the northeast I wanted to devote a thread to spotting and chasing in the area. I'd like to know who actually chases up here and to highlight weather events that do occur as they seem to be few and far between in our region.

Ive chased a few local lines in ct

It sucks thats all i can really say. Theres always traffic, hills and trees, thin roads and congested highways and fast moving storms
In my old are it was mostly squalls that go up west of the state line and areatured pretty quick and by central ct an hour later they die. Every now and then theres a tornado or two...i missed last august in wolcott because i wasnt paying attention and was focused on mayhem festival instead. I was at the northern edge of the storm when it produced

Bunch of snow storms obviously and lately hurricanes have been making their way up

I chase as often as I can. Nobody even chases North Carolina where my profile pic came from or Ohio. I chased today although I didn't have to leave my county. Got some lightning up close a great gust front shelf cloud combo, flooding, gusty winds and torrential downpours. Storm put down golfball sized hail supposedly. Looking at the pre rain clouds it might be true.

Now that severe weather season is slowly starting to grace us with its presence here in the northeast I wanted to devote a thread to spotting and chasing in the area. I'd like to know who actually chases up here and to highlight weather events that do occur as they seem to be few and far between in our region.
You get any storm pics or vids from the last two rounds the past two days? I chased into Albany from Binghamton yesterday but conditions weren't good enough to even warrant the severe thunderstorm watch that was issued all the way west to Binghamton, N.Y. Pa didn't have much either except one mcs and that area of the thunderstorm watch was unwarranted also. Seems like you need to have at least a 2 on the supercell composite to have any type of outbreak.

These are other images from the same storm as above. Shelf cloud, large wall cloud it appears and lighting probably hitting a lightpole in the parking lot I'm in since it is only 4:00 pm and the thunder was very loud.

Attachments

• DSC00957.JPG
    DSC00957.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 276
  • DSC00961.JPG
    DSC00961.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 246
  • DSC01006.JPG
    DSC01006.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 247
You get any storm pics or vids from the last two rounds the past two days? I chased into Albany from Binghamton yesterday but conditions weren't good enough to even warrant the severe thunderstorm watch that was issued all the way west to Binghamton, N.Y. Pa didn't have much either except one mcs and that area of the thunderstorm watch was unwarranted also. Seems like you need to have at least a 2 on the supercell composite to have any type of outbreak.
I will post some pictures tonight. Nothing too intense but some good shots of structure. I was out in the CT river valley in Mass yesterday. Ended up chasing the line east towards Worcester and got ahead of it in Charlton,MA. Found a great vantage spot and others watching as the core passed just to our south. Another 400+ miles on my odometer!

Supercell composite numbers r descent in pa on Sun, 600 helocity 200 bsnr w 800 plus lifted parcel cape. Middle of pa looks like a tornado on more conservative twistex skew t. 10 consecutive layers of turning with only one below 25kts

Looks like that isn't going to happen. It was getting close to the event ie. w/i 48 hrs forecast but oh well.

I got video of a severe thunderstorm sucking the vapor from Berwick nuclear plant in Pa into it then it going straight up like a huge tornado and then winds so strong it disappears from the horizon. I'll have to make pics from the video.

Sorry I didn't post the pics sooner. I had a busy weekend. I had one short after-work drive on 05/27. I Had jury duty but was dismissed(I was chomping at the bit the whole time knowing storms were on their way) on 05/28 giving me plenty of time to get west for storms to initiate. A great day to unwind by myself under some great clouds after a so far busy landscape season!
templeton, ma.jpg Picture of a shelf cloud from a squall line headed towards Templeton, MA 05/27/15
sunderland, mA.jpg Looking northwest from just north of Sunderland, MA. Appeared to possibly be a wet microburst, but I have no confirmation. There was wind damage reported north of my location. 05/28/15
hadley, ma.jpg Looking southwest from a farm field in Hadley, MA. I was positioned under what seemed to be an inflow band. I spent over almost an hour there observing amazing rising motion. 05/28/15

Here are some pics of a nuclear power plant exhaust being influenced by a severe thunderstom in NE Pa. during pa's second "significant" outbreak of the year (2 dozen or more severe reports same day). Top picture lightning lighting up exhaust, then pregusty winds then after gusty wind. DSC01122.JPG DSC01123.JPG DSC01131.JPG DSC01134.JPG

These pictures were taken from a long track supercell not too far from the Albany area on 6/12/15. There were at least two times it looked like it was going to produce, ie. when these pics were taken. Don't know what happened to the bottom pic. I'm going to try again with that one.

Attachments

• supercell new york albany area.png
    supercell new york albany area.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 190
  • supercell new york albany area2.jpg
    supercell new york albany area2.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 182
Are any of you getting excited for the potential severe outbreak on tuesday 06/23? It looks to show some decent CAPE and a good amount of shear. Anyone have any other thoughts?

Here's a couple pics from the severe weather event on 06/23
Windsor Locks.jpg
Taken looking west over Bradley Airport Windosr Locks, CT We observed a small lowering on the far left edge and showing minimal rotation on radar.

Erving, MA 062315.jpg
Shot of the "whales mouth" from an old truss bridge in Erving, MA. This was our second and northern storm. We let it pass east to enjoy the view from here.
mammatus 062315.jpg
Shot of Mammatus clouds taken looking northwest from Chelmsford, MA around 8:30 pm

Does anyone else have any pics from yesterday?

The Weather Channel's torcon is elevated for the northeast on Tuesday, Monday also if you count Ohio. Storm Prediction Center shows margial for Tuesday in the northeast, but upgrades for severe threats are common (maybe especially the earlier threats are issued).

Back