NWF_FINAL_web.png

National Weather Festival
Saturday, November 6th
9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
National Weather Center
120 David L. Boren Blvd.
Norman, Oklahoma

http://www.norman.noaa.gov/events/nwf/

The annual National Weather Festival highlights the many weather related organizations and activities in central Oklahoma. This unique event features hourly weather balloon launches, children’s activities, storm research vehicle displays, amateur radio demonstrations, a Storm Chaser Car Show and weather related information and products. Visitors can view the National Weather Center’s premier facilities including National Weather Service forecast operation areas.

Previous Stormtrack threads about National Weather Festival: (thanks Jason for last years post of these)
2009 http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22040&highlight=National+Weather+Festival
2008 http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18142&
2007 http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13643&
2006 http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9821&
2005 http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6700&[/

Thanks Kendra....yeah...I was slacking this year, huh. LOL.

Does anyone know when they are going to start accepting applications for the car show??
I would love to enter again this year!

It will be a great time again this year. Thankfully my drive to the weather center this year is approximately 5 miles instead of 1005 miles :)

Can't wait to see everyone there!

The NWF planning committee is working hard on plans for this year's festival.

The Storm Chaser (and Spotter) Car Show will be new and improved this year. Vehicles will be entered in one of four new categories:

- storm spotters - people who work or volunteer as storm spotters for their communities
- student/researchers - chasers who are in it for the science not the money (to borrow and reverse a line from Twister)
- professionals - chasers who sell images/video, sell streaming video to the media, etc
- TV - chasers who are affiliated with a TV station either as a station employee or a stringer

Awards will be given in the each category. There will also be a "people's choice" award to allow festival attendees to vote for their favorite vehicle.

Watch the official website - www.nationalweatherfestival.org - for more details, information on how to register and other big news for car show participants!

And be sure to follow @nwf2010 on Twitter and the National Weather Festival group on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=294325310404

Rick

I'll be there, along with my chase partner Matt Robinson. I just registered my vehicle in the Car Show. I went last year and it was pretty fun. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

I'll be helping out at the fest, and will have someone from the team with my car in the show. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like an interesting event, I’d go if the time and distance weren’t so prohibitive. Hopefully pictures get posted as I do enjoy seeing some of the great rides & setups people have.

The Storm Chaser (and Spotter) Car Show will be new and improved this year. Vehicles will be entered in one of four new categories:

- storm spotters - people who work or volunteer as storm spotters for their communities
- student/researchers - chasers who are in it for the science not the money (to borrow and reverse a line from Twister)
- professionals - chasers who sell images/video, sell streaming video to the media, etc
- TV - chasers who are affiliated with a TV station either as a station employee or a stringer

Rick

No category for those of us that chase simply because we love storms?

-I don’t spot
-I’m not in it for the science (or the money either for that matter)
-I don’t stream, sell or intend to sell (not that I’ve ever had anything worthy of selling)
-No TV affiliation

Perhaps I’m part of a minority too small to deserve consideration? Has anyone ever done a poll here on why people chase? I’d be interested to see the breakdown on the percentages for the categories listed above and for my reason/motivation as well.

Sounds like an interesting event, I’d go if the time and distance weren’t so prohibitive. Hopefully pictures get posted as I do enjoy seeing some of the great rides & setups people have.

-I don’t spot
-I don’t stream, sell or intend to sell (not that I’ve ever had anything worthy of selling)
-No TV affiliation

Perhaps I’m part of a minority too small to deserve consideration? Has anyone ever done a poll here on why people chase? I’d be interested to see the breakdown on the percentages for the categories listed above and for my reason/motivation as well.

You just said you're not going. Why do you care? Just curious.

Don't read anything into it....just something someone wrote up in 2 seconds and didn't want to make a long list and just listed the ones that tend to get the most attention...or just a random list.

-I don’t spot
-No TV affiliation

If you're just a casual chaser, as it sounds like you are, the spotter category is for you. Even if you go out because you love storms, you should always call into the NWS what you're seeing as that information is vital for warning decisions.

May take the 7 hour drive from Houston. Never been to one before.

I'm going to try like hell to be there, even though I'm rather busy right now trying to finish up some projects at home and working on getting a new job.

I registered the Mudpuppy for the car show under the Professional category. I figured I didn't have enough antennas to compete with the Spotters. ;)

As of yesterday there are nearly 40 vehicles registered for the spotter/chaser car show. Should be quite a show!

As for me right now, I've come down with a pretty bad cold...So, I will most likely be sitting this year out. I've taken today off of work as well, no reason to potentially get other people sick! Have fun everyone!

I'll be there! While not my first time to the festival, it will be my first time having my car in the car show (though my setup is nothing special) and having a booth inside with DVDs, prints, calendars, and T-shirts. And free pens. :) Should be fun, and am looking forward to meeting some of you there!

Also, for those of you who are coming and may not know this, Norman will be setting off fireworks at Reaves Park at dusk...they were rained out on the 4th this year, and the powers that be decided to postpone the show until closer to Veterans' Day, as tomorrow they'll be celebrating/commemorating Vietnam Vets.

Will be there also. I'll be the guy at the bottom of the atrium stairs from 11am-1pm directing the hordes.

Back