Most extreme temps...your experiences?

Welcome to the new guys and girls!! :D
The coldest I've experienced so far was -24F on Jan 21, 1985 in Knoxville, TN (that's also the all time record cold temp :shock: ). The hottest was 102 in mid-August in 1983 at my house about 20 miles from Knoxville. That's way too hot to even go outside. I'm sure there was an evil heat index that day since one of the essential ingredients of East TN weather is humidity.
Angie

I guess these are the hottest temperatures I've seen anyway. It gets near 120F almost every day so far, but it's a dry heat. Humidity really makes a difference. It is 4:43 AM and it's about 89 degrees. The wind makes it feel like it's in the low 70's right now. I would have to say the hottest temps I've felt were in Chicago during the '95 killer heat wave. Iraq just hasn't come close.

I don't exactly remember when I felt the coldest temp, it probably was around -25 and the wind chill was -50, during one recent brutal winter. ( haven't been too many of those as of late)

Hottest that I can recall, Hannibal, MO 114 F Aug 1988, 98% humidity, and I was nine months pregnant. Talk about hell!!!

Coldest - not sure, it gets pretty cold around here. several times has reached -20s.

Hottest that I can recall, Hannibal, MO 114 F Aug 1988, 98% humidity, and I was nine months pregnant. Talk about hell!!!

Coldest - not sure, it gets pretty cold around here. several times has reached -20s.

I don't think the humidity really reached 98% - That would be a dewpoint of ~113F :shock:

My bet is that the relative humidity was 30-35%, at best, which would be a dewpoint in the mid to upper 70's. Still, that's VERY humid for that temperature!

I know I already posted an extreme but I interpreted the question to be hottest since it is summer. As I started thinking about my coldest, I don't remember the exact date but I know it was the first week of February 1995 Omaha, -25F with out wind chill. My fuel injectors on my car froze up. The warmest I can remember experiencing here in Omaha was the end of July that same year 109F. Dewpoints during the heat wave ranged from 77 to 82, with heat indicies from 115 to 125. I thought it was interesting trhat the extremes occurred in the same year.

Actually, I really think that would be possible! Yesterday in Roseau, MN (Far NW corner of the state), the air temp was something like 98F, with a dewpoint of 85 which made something like a 117F heat index. Not a bad as what Laura said, but in some cases, I think a ridiculously high dewpoint can happen if you have enough humidity!

Actually, I really think that would be possible! Yesterday in Roseau, MN (Far NW corner of the state), the air temp was something like 98F, with a dewpoint of 85 which made something like a 117F heat index. Not a bad as what Laura said, but in some cases, I think a ridiculously high dewpoint can happen if you have enough humidity!

I'm pretty sure rdewey is right. It's not possible.

According to http://www.weatherwise.org/qr/qry.02dewpoi...intextreme.html, the highest dew points ever recorded have been in the 90-95 degree range. At 114 degrees, with dewpoint of 95, the RH is 51%.

Relative humidity is a rather poor indicator of how bad it feels outside when the temperature is that high. For example, yesterday in Roseau the high temp/dew was 93/82. That's misserable - the heat index was 111. Even then, the relative humidity was "only" 65%.

I hate relative humidity. It's a terrible scale.

I've experienced dry heat in the 110 range, but never extreme cold. Maybe 10 above is the coldest I've ever felt.
mp

I've experienced all types of extreme heat, but I've seen snow only twice before.

Worst experience: stuck in 100 degree weather in Dallas, TX with dewpoints in the 70s WITHOUT AIR CONDITIONING :shock: . Great day for the AC to break!

While I lived in Vegas, temps reached 110-120 degrees during the hottest days, but it was dry heat.

Coldest temperatures I've experienced are probably around 30 degrees.

Today being the 15th anniversary of Phoenix's all time high of 122F, I thought I'd post. You know it's hot when the airport shuts down because aircraft takeoff specs stop at 120.

Coldest was in Denver in early February 1996, when a serious two week chill set in as a cold front parked against the Front Range. Somewhere around -25F.

I live in an area where we can experience pretty good temp extremes... southern Ontario. I've seen really nippy winters and very hot and humid summers. Right now, we are experiencing one of the hottest.

hottest: Just the temp alone, 36 C (or 96 F); with humidity 40 C (or 104 F)

coldest: -23 C (or -9 F)

Here in northeastern Colorado we get quite an extreme of temperatures. There have been several terrible hot spells (those of you who live in Colorado will remember the summer of 1994; the continous high 90's/low 100s for about 8 weeks :evil: ). At least most of the time it is a dry heat, so it isn't quite as unbearable as it would be even in North Platte. But the worst I remember is the summer of 2000. That was our first drought year, and in mid-July for about a week we didn't drop below 70 degrees at night! There was also about a five day streak when we maxed out at 100 degrees or higher. The hottest day we had was July 13-14 or something like that. At 2 in the afternoon the thermometer on our house maxed out at 114 degrees... in the shade!
And to boot we had some unusual humidity, so it wasn't even a dry heat, which is more commonly associated with Colorado. That day, aside from checking the temperature, stayed inside drinking lemonade and sitting by the airconditioner! Denver broke the old record for number of 90 degree days that summer(only to have that breached again in 2002, I think) So 114 degrees is my all time hot temp(thus far).
My coldest expierienced temp would be the second week of February 2004. From the 11th to the 16th we dropped well into the -20's below zero at night. The daytime temps were only in the single digits- God, it was cold! It felt more like northern Minnesota than northern Colorado that week. The bottom fell out on Valentine's Day; I woke up and was not loving the temperature: -28 degrees!!! It took 20 minutes for the car to warm up, and we had to drive all 21 miles into Fort Morgan with the defroster going full blast, because if you even turned it off for a few seconds, the windows would insta-frost. I also remember the big chill of early February, 1996. I was only 6 years old and in first grade, and I remember that my teacher had a ton of heaters in the room and we wore our coats and gloves. But these stories are classic Colorado for you: extremely fickle weather in all seasons, guaranteed. :D

Highest: 102
Lowest: -30

I grew up near the Twin Cities, MN, so I plenty of experience in the cold (made frequent trips to Duluth MN when I was younger). Last summer was my first down in OK, and it happened to be a pretty cool (and wet) summer, so I havent' been in much >100 degree air.

If we speak of Heat Index though... On 7-20-2002, I was out on a (bust) chase in western Minnesota (MDT risk day, awesome thermodynamics). The Madison MN / Lac Qui Parle airport (KDXX) in far western Minnesota held at a 118 degree heat index for 3 straight hours. The hourly obs showed 93/84 during 22z, 23z, and 00z, all with east-southeast wind. Stations to the immediate north of this airport had east-northeast winds, with temps near 90 and dewpoints in the upper-70s to lower-80s. The 00z MPX sounding showed ~6000 CAPE and 400 0-3km SRH... Winds aloft were pretty weak, but the sounding would have supported significant tornadoes (given the extreme instability and very strong low-level shear)... Adjust for the easterly surface winds in western MN, and oh boy! UGH STUPID CAP!!!!!!

072002MPXsounding.gif

Hottest: 105F in Moab, UT

Coldest: -32F near Mont Tremblant, Quebec

Most Miserable (Hot): Blackout of 2003 (hot, hot, hot)

Most Miserable (Cold): Mount Washington, -29F air with 70 mph winds, windchills around -75F

Most Miserable (Hot): Blackout of 2003 (hot, hot, hot)

I'll have to agree with ya there! Though, I actually did enjoy the blackout though, as I live in a mid sized city and it was rather interesting to see how people reacted.

Hottest; 120's in Death Valley, same date as others have mentioned. But, even though that was hot... It just doesn't compare to 103F with dewpoints in the mid 70's. That was expericed in 1995 I believe, maybe around the time of that intense heat wave.

As for coldest, it would have to be in the U.P. of MI... A fresh heavy lake effect snow had fallen, and skies had cleared. Temps dipped down to around -35F that night. Luckily, the wind had calmed so there was no wind chill.

Coldest at my house would have to be last winter, we had one night get down to -15F. It was incredible, when I entered the city of Rochester, the temperature rose to 5F or so, while just outside the city (about 1 or 2 miles), the temp dipped back down around -10F to -15F in spots. I have never seen such wild swings in temperature in such a very short distance.

Back