• Stormtrack's forum runs on Xenforo forum software, which will be undergoing a major update the evening of Wednesday, Feb 28th. The site may be down for a period while that update takes place.

Most extreme temps...your experiences?

Late June...Phoenix, Arizona. Gets me thinking about temperature extremes I have experienced in my life. Nothing like today's 114 degree F wind and two power outages to crystallize my memories of intense desert heat. The plus side? It's late June and the sky is hinting at Monsoon.

So what are the most extreme temperatures you have felt?

Mine:

Hottest: 125 degrees F, Laughlin, Nevada...a blast furnace in the face.

Coldest: -30 degrees F below zero, at the top of a ski lift at Incline Lake Tahoe, California/Nevada border. My Neoprene face mask actually froze that day.

124F White Sands Missile Range, Stallion Range Center
-34F New Ipswich, New Hampshire

Had some Germans come out to WSMR in the summer once. One of the Officers was heard to say "This may not be Hell, but you can certainly see the gates!"

Hottest: 108 in Las Vegas

Coldest: -7 in Miami, OK (where I grew up)

We have also been up to 105 in Miami, OK several times. I think Oklahoma has to have one of the most extreme weather changes from Summer to Winter, meaning we can get up to 105 in the Summer and as low as around 0 to -5 in the Winter.

Hottest...don't know the exact temperature but it was probably about 110 or maybe more driving through the Mojave desert (no a/c).

Coldest was about -5 at the Grand canyon at sunrise in January. It may have been as low as -10; I don't remember exactly, but it was somewhere in that ballpark.

I grew up in MI, therefore, I have plenty of expierence with extremely cold temperatures. The most extreme cold temperature that I had to deal with occured back in 1994, when it go around to -20F and even colder in some locations here around Detroit. I am not sure about the hottest, but probably around or just above 105F...

Hottest: Wuhan, central China, July 17th 2002, 39C with 74% r.h., led to a heat index of over 60C. An hell...

Coldest: I was young but... I remember the bottles of spirit exploding. Brescia, Italy, January 1985, -22C. After that it snows for a week or so led to over a meter accumulation.

:wink:

Hottest: 107 for two straight days in Jackson, Miss (drought of 2000)
Coldest: -3 on top of a ski lift in Jackson Hole Wyoming. The wind chill was much lower than that... It was the coldest I ever felt. I thought my legs were going to break.

Northfield, Vermont -- something like -45F, when the right rear wheel bearing froze solid on my friends Jeep and twisted right off the axle

Tucson, Arizona -- biked home at 118F

Hottest: 128F in Death Valley (Furnace Creek). We were actually chasing heat. :lol: It was a really bad year for storms for us.

Coldest: -31F in Leadville, Colorado. This actually came on March 2nd and it set a record low temp for March.

Hottest ambient temperature I've felt was in the Sacramento Valley in CA with temperatures nearing 110°.

The highest heat index was right here in the Quad Cities of 131° in June of 1995. (The official Moline ob at the time was an unbelievable 100°/80° I believe)

Coldest temp was -28° in Feb of '97 I believe here in the Quad Cities.

Hottest: 106, Chicago, July 13, 1995 (day of the killer heat wave)
Coldest: around -20 or so, with wind chills around -60. Chicago, Mid/late January 1994.

On the cold day, I actually had a student driving test, and our car stalled on I-55. We had to walk a couple blocks to an exit ramp before a state tropper pulled us over to take us to a shelter. He then totally bitched out the instructor for taking us out that day. :D

The day of the 1988 Council Bluffs, Ia tornado, July 15. While the temperature alone, 92, was not that impressive when you factor the dewpoint of, 84, the heat index officially at Eppley Airfield reached 128 at 3PM.

Hot.
Upper 120's (5 ft off the ground) at the Keane Mine in Death Valley. Swirling winds prevented a stable measurement, but the hottest gusts were around 130. Ground level was over 180 and certainly would have reached boiling if not for the wind. At least it was a dry heat! ;) (Actually, it didn't feel all that bad. Those crazy heat index numbers others have survived sound utterly unbearable.)

Not.
Somewhere around -35F in Mitchell, South Dakota, after a typical(?) winter cold front blew by.

-Greg

In Wichita on July 14 2003 the temp hit 109, I remember that day because I was taking a summer class at Wichita State and the heat from the parking lot was the hottest I ever felt.

Hottest: 108 F, Norman OK Sept 2001 (at an OU football game nonetheless)

Coldest: -25 F, Dayton OH Jan 1994 (I think wind chill was between -50 and -60 F for a while that day)

Hottest temp for me was about 104-108°F (40-42°C) in the Interior of Southern BC between Kamloops and Cache Creek. Fortunately, this was a dry, dry heat. These kind of summer temps aren't terribly unusual in this part of Canada because it's actually semi-arid down there. It's been known to go up to 111°F.

Because I grew up part of my life in Edmonton and also northwestern Alberta, I'm familiar with extremely cold temperatures. I've been through temps down to -45 to -50°F many times. I've even been to Boy Scout camps in unheated cabins and tents in temps down to -40°F. The coldest I've been through was -58°F (-50°C) near Grande Prairie, AB and in Dawson Creek, BC. That was without the wind chill, mind you. In fact, there was very little wind, if any, at the time.

Worst windchill was about -94°F (-70°C). This was during an unusually heavy blizzard (blizzards aren't very common here, actually!) in Edmonton, and it was about -40°F at the time. Windchill of -50°F to -75°F are not unusual in the Canadian Prairies. The cold is typically a very dry kind of cold, not damp.

Summers in Edmonton can be hot though. I've seen temps up to 95°F there. And it's usually a dry heat there.

Hottest...109 in Topeka KS early September 2000
Coldest...-38 in Morris MN January or February 1977 (at least it wasn't windy)

In just one year in Moorhead, Minnesota (August, 1976-July, 1977), I experienced 141 degrees of temperature variation. Hottest was 106; coldest was -35. The latter is the coldest I've experienced anywhere (but by just one degree, as it was once -34 in Waterloo, Iowa, where I grew up, on March 1 of all times!), but I have seen it as hot as 108 in St. Louis and I think around 114 during a week I spent in Phoenix.

We hit -39 degrees F here in GFK on 05 Jan and -37 just a little over a week later on the 17th. Grew up in Indiana and moved here to ND this past September and even then, still the coldest temperatures I've ever experienced.

Unfortunately, was working mid's both nights, so I did actually "experience" this. The doors on my car wouldn't latch shut without a swift "slam."

On the other end of the spectrum, I can't recall exact dates or temperatures but probably close to 110 degrees F during the '88 Drought (midwest "death-ridge").

-- MKH

Hottest would have been late June/early July 1988 in Kalamazoo, Michigan - with several consecutive days in the triple-digits. Certainly made for a warm experience at the Nature Center summer camp. Coldest yet most enjoyable winter - January 1994 (sometime between the 4-15); significant lake-effect snow event which closed my school for nearly two weeks and landed surface temps around the -15 degree range.

..Blake..

Hottest: 106F / DP of 82F - Mid July 1995 near Milwaukee, WI. It was a nasty heat wave. Clothes turned 100% to sweat after being outside for five minutes doing NO physical exertion.

Coldest: -32F - Late January 1994 near Milwaukee, WI. The high temperature that day I believe was -21F. Insanely cold, to the point that you could not bear to be outside for more than a minute and it felt like knives in your lungs when you took a breath.

-Tim

165 degree swing!

Lowest temperature= -60 in St. Louis county (Tower MN)- broke the state record in 1996.

Highest temperature= not sure exactly, but around 105 in both the Black Hills last summer on vacation and it's gotten to about that once or twice here in Duluth.

Not sure if I should post this here or not, but this is my first official post here at Stormtrack.org

Hottest: ~ 40°C at the island Vis, Croatia (August 2000)
Coldest: -19°C in calm air at Ljubljana-Brnik airport, Slovenia (January 2005) and also few days later in that January we had an extreme wind "Bora" here in SW Slovenia. It was -13°C with max gusts around 160km/h, now imagine the windchill temperature :D (under -30°C for sure). It was spectacular, we also had problems with breathing because of that wind 8)

Marko

Back