Most extreme temps...your experiences?

In Wichita on July 14 2003 the temp hit 109, I remember that day because I was taking a summer class at Wichita State and the heat from the parking lot was the hottest I ever felt.

Hottest: 108 F, Norman OK Sept 2001 (at an OU football game nonetheless)

Coldest: -25 F, Dayton OH Jan 1994 (I think wind chill was between -50 and -60 F for a while that day)

Hottest temp for me was about 104-108°F (40-42°C) in the Interior of Southern BC between Kamloops and Cache Creek. Fortunately, this was a dry, dry heat. These kind of summer temps aren't terribly unusual in this part of Canada because it's actually semi-arid down there. It's been known to go up to 111°F.

Because I grew up part of my life in Edmonton and also northwestern Alberta, I'm familiar with extremely cold temperatures. I've been through temps down to -45 to -50°F many times. I've even been to Boy Scout camps in unheated cabins and tents in temps down to -40°F. The coldest I've been through was -58°F (-50°C) near Grande Prairie, AB and in Dawson Creek, BC. That was without the wind chill, mind you. In fact, there was very little wind, if any, at the time.

Worst windchill was about -94°F (-70°C). This was during an unusually heavy blizzard (blizzards aren't very common here, actually!) in Edmonton, and it was about -40°F at the time. Windchill of -50°F to -75°F are not unusual in the Canadian Prairies. The cold is typically a very dry kind of cold, not damp.

Summers in Edmonton can be hot though. I've seen temps up to 95°F there. And it's usually a dry heat there.

Hottest...109 in Topeka KS early September 2000
Coldest...-38 in Morris MN January or February 1977 (at least it wasn't windy)

In just one year in Moorhead, Minnesota (August, 1976-July, 1977), I experienced 141 degrees of temperature variation. Hottest was 106; coldest was -35. The latter is the coldest I've experienced anywhere (but by just one degree, as it was once -34 in Waterloo, Iowa, where I grew up, on March 1 of all times!), but I have seen it as hot as 108 in St. Louis and I think around 114 during a week I spent in Phoenix.

We hit -39 degrees F here in GFK on 05 Jan and -37 just a little over a week later on the 17th. Grew up in Indiana and moved here to ND this past September and even then, still the coldest temperatures I've ever experienced.

Unfortunately, was working mid's both nights, so I did actually "experience" this. The doors on my car wouldn't latch shut without a swift "slam."

On the other end of the spectrum, I can't recall exact dates or temperatures but probably close to 110 degrees F during the '88 Drought (midwest "death-ridge").

-- MKH

Hottest would have been late June/early July 1988 in Kalamazoo, Michigan - with several consecutive days in the triple-digits. Certainly made for a warm experience at the Nature Center summer camp. Coldest yet most enjoyable winter - January 1994 (sometime between the 4-15); significant lake-effect snow event which closed my school for nearly two weeks and landed surface temps around the -15 degree range.

..Blake..

Hottest: 106F / DP of 82F - Mid July 1995 near Milwaukee, WI. It was a nasty heat wave. Clothes turned 100% to sweat after being outside for five minutes doing NO physical exertion.

Coldest: -32F - Late January 1994 near Milwaukee, WI. The high temperature that day I believe was -21F. Insanely cold, to the point that you could not bear to be outside for more than a minute and it felt like knives in your lungs when you took a breath.

-Tim

165 degree swing!

Lowest temperature= -60 in St. Louis county (Tower MN)- broke the state record in 1996.

Highest temperature= not sure exactly, but around 105 in both the Black Hills last summer on vacation and it's gotten to about that once or twice here in Duluth.

Not sure if I should post this here or not, but this is my first official post here at Stormtrack.org

Hottest: ~ 40°C at the island Vis, Croatia (August 2000)
Coldest: -19°C in calm air at Ljubljana-Brnik airport, Slovenia (January 2005) and also few days later in that January we had an extreme wind "Bora" here in SW Slovenia. It was -13°C with max gusts around 160km/h, now imagine the windchill temperature :D (under -30°C for sure). It was spectacular, we also had problems with breathing because of that wind 8)

Marko

Not sure of exact numbers, but I'm sure I've been out a couple of times in -20's, maybe -30's when I was living near the Twin Cities in MN. I was on the alpine ski team and we had a couple of practices where the air tempearture was below 0...

Now I'm living in Norman, and everyday during the summer is too hot. Highest temp I've experianced has got to be just past the 100 degree mark.

I can't wait to get back home to MN... :)

WARNING: First official Stormtrack post

Hottest: Labor Day weekend 2000, somewhere between Austin and DFW it was 116 degrees as me and the missus were driving back to Dallas.

Coldest: Any of my trips to Toronto, Canada for the Christmas holidays to see relatives. How the heck people live up there is beyond me. But then they probably look at our summers and say the same thing.

Hottest: 108 in Las Vegas

Coldest: -7 in Miami, OK (where I grew up)

We have also been up to 105 in Miami, OK several times. I think Oklahoma has to have one of the most extreme weather changes from Summer to Winter, meaning we can get up to 105 in the Summer and as low as around 0 to -5 in the Winter.

I'm sure it feels that way in OK with the humidity and wind. Colorado and other western states cheat because of the drier climate and mountains.

Colorado extremes -61 deg F and +114 deg F. Thankfully, I have never felt either 8)

104 on 25 June 1988 in Cleveland, OH.

I was 4 and we didnt have air conditioning. Im not surprised I remember that day. :wink:

Our record lows are usually around -15 to -20 in the winter.

Back