Mobile Threat Net / WxWorx Pricing (2018 & 2019)

Bill - I have used that app you're referring to. Ask them for the free trial once things really start in for the season. The trial is only 2 or 3 weeks, IIRC. It's Baron Threat Net (no "mobile"). It's an excellent app, it just has a few bugs in my experience.

FWIW, My receiver is a Gen 2 that I bought on Ebay for $25 out of luck. Had to pay $40 for a power cord, though.

Gen 2's (REWX9ID) are showing up fairly cheap nowdays.

People still use Mobile Threat Net in 2019? Why? That's the equivalence of using dial-up internet in 2019. It was great back when cellular technology was in its infancy and mobile data pretty much sucked, but in 2019... Mobile Threat Net is obsolete and not needed IMO.... surprised they still exist.

People still use Mobile Threat Net in 2019? Why? That's the equivalence of using dial-up internet in 2019. It was great back when cellular technology was in its infancy and mobile data pretty much sucked, but in 2019... Mobile Threat Net is obsolete and not needed IMO.... surprised they still exist.

From my perspective, coming from overseas, getting an unlimited data plan isn't so easy - at least, I don't think it is! We're only over for a couple of weeks and so tend to buy a bundle of data. I don't want to have the data on at all times, so simply getting the Baron on to monitor until things start to get more exciting works for us.

Also, we've still found areas with no cell coverage, for example when we were NW of Cheyenne on May 27th in a data hole. WxWorx showed the tornado warning on the cell to our SW which we then observed several tornadoes from...it can still be a help even now.

I know where you're coming from, but each to their own I say! :)

I still use ThreatNet and find it to be still useful even while having RadarScope on my phone and GrLv3 on my laptop. As recently as last year, I still encounter areas with poor cell phone service (I use Verizon) and was very happy to still have ThreatNet. As I chase alone, I find ThreatNet much easier to glance at and get the information that I need while driving rather than mess with RadarScope or GrLv3. If rotation is increasing, I see it on ThreatNet. For more details, I can then switch to my other options but I usually have to pull over to access that data safely.

My chase partner had Mobile Threat Net and we used it as a backup when there was no cell coverage. But a couple years ago we decided to eliminate it. There weren’t too many times that we lost cell coverage, so we just felt it wasn’t worth the trouble dealing with its poor resolution and seemingly temperamental qualities (sometimes took very long to boot up or to update; but I realize the product may have improved since we last used it). We just wanted to simplify, have fewer devices to look at, manage and travel with, and decided to go a little more “old school” and not be so dependent on having radar every single moment of the chase; figured if we couldn’t deal with the loss of radar for 10 minutes now and then, what kind of chasers were we? Just sharing our thought process and practices to add to the discussion... I certainly understand the value and reasons others choose to continue using it.

Man, JK. Why so serious? It's still there because it still works. Also, some of us are in the same boat I'm in, where having MTN can be explained in 3 easy words:

I'm on Sprint.

Back