MiniDV Capturing and XP Issues

Okay....here is the issue. I reinstalled XP and SP3 the other night on my Inspiron 1501. I use a 1394 Firewire Express card to hook my 6 pin to 4 pin cable up to capture video from my DV cameras. For whatever reason, the laptop is not recognizing any of my cameras. Has anyone ever had this problem? I have a Vista CD that came with my laptop and I can revert back to that if need be. Does Vista have the same issues? This issue likely caused me some cash the other day and I don't want it to happen again. Thanks!

Dude, I hope you have better luck than me. I've spent no less than 15 hours trying to read forums and find a solution to my problem without any luck. Let's figure these problems out before the heart of severe weather gets here!

Dude, I hope you have better luck than me. I've spent no less than 15 hours trying to read forums and find a solution to my problem without any luck. Let's figure these problems out before the heart of severe weather gets here!

I have already been screwed by it on my tornado from Thursday. TWC would have paid more for higher quality video, but at least I got it on the stream. This problem on my end seems to be an SP2/3 issue. I've had it before and fixed it by changing some 1394 files that are in the WINDOWS/drivers folder. I dunno.....if Vista is easier to deal with on DV I may just go to it.

Your issue, however, I have been able to fix on XP. Just switched the camera into DV mode and fired up HDVsplit and captured via 4pin - 6pin firewire. Worked like a charm.

I have already been screwed by it on my tornado from Thursday. TWC would have paid more for higher quality video, but at least I got it on the stream. This problem on my end seems to be an SP2/3 issue. I've had it before and fixed it by changing some 1394 files that are in the WINDOWS/drivers folder. I dunno.....if Vista is easier to deal with on DV I may just go to it.

Brett, at first glance I was going to suggest that maybe the card had gone bad. But I doubt that, as the problem occurred immediately after your reinstall of XP. Does your encoder work with some other video source? Were you streaming through usb the other night? It looked good.

I have been running Vista for a few months, and I have a 1394 ExpressCard Adapter that handles my miniDV dash camcorder. So far no problems with Vista handling the firewire input, GRLevelX, SN, Franson GPS Gate, Streets and Trips, and a bluetooth GPS puck. I know some non-chasers that don't like Vista and seem to be migrating to Win 7, but I haven't had the need.

Migrate to windows 7, you will not regret it. I work part time doing IT for the University I attend and we are moving all machines to windows 7 and the performance increase is substantial. This is even true on older machines that were running XP. I absolutely love it. Will it fix your firewire issue, perhaps, and I say this because windows 7 is built for video and photo capture and editting as well so it probably has drivers built in for that purpose, mine did. I have a dv express card and just inserted it and it worked fine.

Back