Windows7 and Firewire troubles

David, I know it sucks but I would look for a 64bit compatible Firewire card. Much cheaper than upgrading to Win7 Pro and you wouln'd lose the benefit from you Win 7 investment.

Pretty sure you can find some that would work for not too expensive on ebay.

Edit on Joey's: Same here. Using Win 7 64 bit and it beats Vista anytime! Will never come back!

I got a new computer with Windows 7. I installed a Belkin firewire card and it works just fine. Maybe if you go that way it will be cheaper than a new operating system.

LOL great, just what I wanted to hear. As you can read in the other thread on firewire, I've struggled to find a new laptop computer with firewire, finally found one (VAIO) and ordered today, and now I read this. If computer tech's can't figure it out, I'm surely screwed. The option to have firewire in the end cost me another $100, and now it sounds like I'll be lucky if it even works...

I highly recommend anyone running Windows Vista to switch to Windows 7. I was reluctant to make the switch, but was talked into and man I am so glad I did. Windows 7 is so much faster and runs so much better than Windows 7. I've been running it for about 3 weeks now and have not had any issues, all the programs I used on Vista runs perfectly on Windows 7. The jump was definitely worth it, I'm going to be upgrading my laptop to Windows 7 shortly.

Man I wish I could say the same thing. When it's working, I actually like Windows7. Contrary to what some reported, I had ZERO issues with windows Vista, and it's still running perfectly on my chase laptop.

With Windows 7, it's been nothing but trouble, and it's not old hardware, because this machine was build with brand new, modern parts back this past August with the exception of my sound card and network wireless card, both which were recognized and work fine.

Ended up having to update the BIOS (of a brand new motherboad) to finally get rid of the frequent blue screens) which was a royal pain in the ass to track down due to the cryptic nature of blue screen halts. And now the firewire issue, which evidently a lot of people are having with Windows 7 doing research on Google.

I really wanted to like this, and I am the last to blame an operating system until I have exhausted everything else.

I got a new computer with Windows 7. I installed a Belkin firewire card and it works just fine. Maybe if you go that way it will be cheaper than a new operating system.

I'm gonna see what they got down here. I hate to add another card for something that is already integrated into the motherboard (a modern one).
I wouldn't have to buy any more OS, I already own a copy of everything pretty much.

Well evidently the BSODs aren't completely gone either, although less frequent. I think I am gonna go back and use Vista Ultimate 64 and give 7 another try after the first service pack comes out. Thanks for those who tried to help.

David, this is a full install version of 7 or an 'upgrade'. Seems that any and all issues related to 7 so far (granted I try to stay away from the IT folks these days) is on the upgrade. I haven't yet got the express card I need for my firewire access on the brand new laptop, but that will be shortly.

I personally waited for the fresh built Win7 machines rather than deal with any upgrade issues.

I had a similar issue a year or so ago when I upgraded a laptop to vista with the firewire drivers and not knowing what chipset was in use, what I ended up doing was scouring the internet for a decent picture of the motherboard and read the chip numbers off of it, worked like a charm. Easier than cracking open the case.

I have the case open. But the firewire is integrated into the board, so there are no chip numbers to read. I have no idea what embedded firewire chip, if any, in in play here. I installed all the drivers available for the mobo.

David,

What brand and model of mobo did you buy and install in your hand built system? I think you built a new desktop based on going back through the posts, but I'm not certain. Chances are it's a Texas Instruments Firewire chip, but I suppose it could be something else. It sounds like you already looked with a flashlight for numbers on the chip which is the best suggestion I have.

I always thought the generic Microsoft O/S driver was installed for built in Firewire chips. Perhaps it's the Firewire driver for the camera that is being stubborn, but then again aren't they plug and play with no special drivers needed? Please post the make and model of you mobo as I can try to help track down the Firewire chip model.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a nice mobo you have there DD. I also do not see in the downloadable user manual the manufacturer for your IEEE 1394 (Firewire). I only have a couple of suggestions and they are probably ideas you've already tried. First and foremost, do you run Everest Ultimate Edition software? I have it installed on my rig and it tells me exactly the Firewire manufacturer and chip model embedded in my mobo under the Computer / Summary / Peripherals section toward the very top when you expand it out. It even has a section that will tell you every driver that's installed for each installed device in your system.

Secondly, I'd make sure that IEEE 1394 is enabled in the BIOS - a screen shot of this is on page 62 in the user manual or section 3.4.2. Hopefully you updated to BIOS version 1.70 as that is the most current they have available on the ASROCK website for Windows 7 and it appears they update it frequently so that's a good thing. I would try running the case cable (if there is one) to the IEEE 1394 header on the mobo to your front Firewire port to rule out that something could be wrong with the rear I/O Firewire port. I think you mentioned a dedicated sound card. If it's a Creative brand chances are it has a Firewire port, so I'm curious if that one works or not.

I did a Google search "Firewire issues Windows 7" and the very first result that came up under "TC Electronic Forum" had a suggestion in the thread to install the 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy) drivers as a possible solution to the problem.

I know you are a PC wizard so hopefully I haven't offended you with these rudimentary ideas and/or solutions. I do know whenever I'm struggling with a technical issue it can become a quagmire where it's hard to come up with fresh ideas, so hopefully I've hit on a couple of new ones. If not I apologize in advance. I have not upgraded any of my systems to Windows 7 yet in case you were wondering, so that part of my advice is definitely lacking.

I have the Everest Ultimate trial version.
Shows: Device Description VIA VT6306/6307 Fire II IEEE1394 Host Controller
Driver is set to to that. I saw the legacy driver issue in research, but it doesn't show up for me as an optional driver.

IEEE is enabled in bios, and it shows up as a working device in the device manager.

Bios is 1.70

Also have the cable and front port plugged in, and it's doing the same thing.

Sound card is a Creative Audigy 2, and no firewire port.

FWIW, I have moved to Vista Ultimate 64bit now. While all of the other issues are now resolved (BSOD) firewire still doesn't work. So it's somehow related to 64bit.

Hi David,

I see one main problem with your card:

Altought it's a brand new mobo, the VT6306/L is not a recent chipset. On the official VIA website they seem to be granting full compatibility with Win 98 SE and Win 2000.

But there is also a chance that you didn't in fact update the drivers correctly.

Go on this website: http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=AOD790GX/128M&o=Win764

Try reinstalling the mobo drivers but also the sound card driver. There is a strong possibility that the driver is in fact included with the audio drivers so be sure your try updating them. Since you have a audigy II card you probably did not update your onboard audio drivers... I strongly suggest you try this before anything else!