Midwest/Northeast Winter Storm Sequence - January 19-23, 2016

We've just wrapped up our part of this storm here in St. Louis. Around 2 to 3 inches downtown, and a solid 3 inches here at my place in the eastern metro in IL.

b6999d0a2309a9f01201aed63b0fd292.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Stormtrack mobile app

The NWS has issued a Blizzard Watch for us here in MD from Friday PM to Sunday AM. Snowfall expected 16"- 24" strong gusty winds. Looks like I'll be blizzard chasing this Weekend.

Last edited:
We picked up about 2.5 inches here in Western Illinois (south of Galesburg). It seems like that is about all we can get this winter, are minor snowfall events (aside from one major one). Crazy to think that our biggest snowstorm of the winter may very well have occurred in November (not even technically winter!). Hopefully the next month and a half can give us at least one decent snowstorm. So far this winter has been my worst for photo/video material...:/

We've just wrapped up our part of this storm here in St. Louis. Around 2 to 3 inches downtown, and a solid 3 inches here at my place in the eastern metro in IL.

View attachment 11435

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Stormtrack mobile app

Lines up with what I got. I got about 2 inches. By the way, part of WV is under a winter storm watch with up to a foot of snow possible.

w.jpg
Our Watch/Warning map is pretty busy over on the east coast today. So far today we have put out 2,130,472 alerts to 1,021,172 unique mobile devices for our Weather Radio app.

snodconus.png
Haven't personally had an opportunity to look at anything other than this map but it looks impressive, snow total-wise!

radarscope.png
Here's a heatmap of where RadarScope data is being served the most right now. Looks like it coincides well with where the weather is. I'll post another when the storm really kicks in.

We had about 3" as well up here near Pekin, IL.

DSC_3947.jpg

There have been quite a few large snowstorms to hit the Mid-Atlantic states in recent years. This has the potential to be the 4th 18" + snowfall in Baltimore since 2009.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...lizzard-eclipse-historic-snow-storms/54910562

Their average annual snowfall is only 20 inches. I have a sister that lives there so I remember hearing a lot about "Snowmageddon" which left 45" of snow Feburary 5th-10th in 2010.
In 10 years of living in Illinois, I don't recall ever seeing a snowfall more than 18 inches. I hope we get at least one big storm before winter is over.

The southwestern piece of what is in the process of becoming the big eastern storm swung through Santa Fe overnight, giving us about an inch of snow. Not much, but at least we can say we were in on the storm.

A lot of these images hitting the social media channels yesterday and today:
CZR4LN0UgAEjwSa.jpg
No doubt there should be a reasonably good sampling of the atmosphere ahead of this system.

If anyone is interested in an enterprise-oriented forecast for the east coast, we're doing one Fri morning at 10:30a CT. Register here: http://j.mp/snowbinar

Things are really ramping up. Here's some news headlines as of this afternoon:
  • D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser says she has been advised 2-2.5 feet of snow will fall
  • So far power interruptions have been minimal across the watch and warning area; expected to change significantly
  • 5,100 flights have been cancelled Friday and Saturday with more expected
  • There are 30 million people living within the current watches and warnings
  • In Virginia alone, 25,000 personnel with 13,000 pieces of equipment will spread 650,000 tons of salt and 2 million gallons of liquid salt
  • Washington could very well break its all-time snow record. 28 inches fell in the "Knickerbocker Storm" of 1922, named after a theater that collapsed under the weight of snow, killing 100 people
  • The latest NWS forecast for Washington, D.C., has a 57 percent chance of more than 18 inches of accumulation
  • Other hazards: Flooding on the level of Hurricane Sandy, Tornadoes, Ice

Doesn't look like it will break the record of the Knickerbocker storm ( Crandall's Knickerbocker Theatre) But should break into the top 5. Calm now just snow, the winds are suppost to increase over night & most of tomorrow. I live 30 minutes south of DC.

• 1/10th of a mile visibility in Baltimore on Saturday morning due to heavy snow.
  • Eight people dead nationwide (Six fatalities were in North Carolina, one in Virginia and one in Kentucky.)
  • 11 states declared states of emergency. They are: Georgia, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Kentucky, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Delaware, Virginia and West Virginia. Washington has declared a "snow emergency."
  • 18-40 inches of snow possible in some areas.
  • 55 mph wind gusts are possible in Norfolk, Virginia.
  • 989 traffic crashes and 793 disabled vehicles were responded to by Virginia State Police as of late Friday night.
  • More than 8,600 flights were canceled from Friday through Sunday, according to FlightAware.com.
  • More than 200,000 customers in 13 states were without power Saturday because of the storm, according to various energy companies. About 130,000 of them were in the Carolinas.
  • 33 million people are under blizzard warnings.
Why thank you, CNN.

As of 6:10 DC is at 25"
NWUS51 KLWX 232310
LSRLWX
PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
610 PM EST SAT JAN 23 2016
..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..
01/23/2016 M25.0 INCH DISTRICT OF COLUMB DC TRAINED SPOTTER

I have 16 " here in Charles County, MD

Back