Major Germany Hail Storm

Now, I am not sure what city in Germany this occurred in, I was just looking browsing a local tv station's website for news and came across this amazing video.

http://www.khou.com/sharedcontent/VideoPla...73446&catId=214

That is some huge hail and the report states that one farmer was killed with more than 100 people injured. :blink:

I would be interested to see if anyone else has radar grabs from this event or know which town this video was shot in.

I've heard that Germany gets some serious hail from time to time. This was obviously one of those times! :lol:

Imagine if something like this happened during one of the World Cup football matches? :blink:

KL

I've heard that Germany gets some serious hail from time to time. This was obviously one of those times! :lol:

Imagine if something like this happened during one of the World Cup football matches? :blink:

KL
[/b]

Hi there!

The event shown was in Villingen-Schwenningen, thats in southwestern Germany! There are several severe hailstorms every year. This year we also got tennisball-hail-event for example in Leipzig (World Cup Town! But it luckily did not happen while soccer! ). There will be a couple of days with warm and stable weather on weekend. I expect to get some new thunderstorms in the second half of the next week. Perhaps there are severe weather events possible, too! For information German "thunderstorm-Season" starts in April/May and ends in September/October.

Bye,
Chris

I remember reading somehwhere there was a massive hailstorm in Munich in September of 1985 which caused over a billion dollars in damage as grapefruit size hail pummeled the city. They had a picture of a brand new 911 on a dealership lot that had all the window and sunroof glass broken out of, the headlights and tailights smashed, and parts of the roof caved in from the massive hail. That would have sucked to get caught in! ;)
I was in Germany in mid June of 2005 and depending on your POV, I was either lucky or unlucky enough to visit Germany while a ridge of high pressure was anchored overhead. It wasn't too bad temperature wise when we were in Berlin around the 13th, but when we ended our tour of Europe in Munich on the 21st, it was very hot. 35 degrees Celsius to be exact. I got dehydrated and wound up having to spend the night in the hospital having 1000 milliliters of water pumped into me via a 1/4 inch diameter plastic IV needle. Yeah, that wasn't a great way to end the trip! :angry: Would have been kind of fun to look out the hospital window and see hail falling. Would've been way more entertaining than German television, save the more adult oriented channels... :rolleyes:

KL
[/b]

It might make the final match actually exciting!

Back