LOT finds evidence of another winter tornado.....56 YEARS AGO

I just had an interesting read a few seconds ago courtesy of the NWS Chicago.

"The event had previously been noted in National Weather Service (NWS) records as thunderstorm wind damage. However, Chicago Tribune reader David Hammer of Palatine came across an old Daily Herald newspaper account of the twister and brought it to the attention of WGN meteorologist Steve Kahn. NWS personnel at the forecast office in Romeoville reviewed the article, looked at the meteorology of the event, and conferred with State Climatologist Jim Angel, and determined that a tornado did occur." - Taken directly from the article and study.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/crnews/display_story.php?wfo=lot&storyid=12039&source=0

It seems like they based this off strictly pictures from an old newspaper article and even a damage path and EF scale rating. Thoughts?

I wish I could dig up this article somewhere, because I would love to see the extent of damage, and how they could now determine a tornado over straight line wind damage/microburst from that long ago with resources of the event they have available to them. Is it possible to revisit such occurrences and if so what is the level of difficulty in being as precise and accurate as possible?

I was just coming on here to post this and I see you beat me to it.

Some libraries have old news papers and articles, maybe you can try there?

I was just coming on here to post this and I see you beat me to it.

Some libraries have old news papers and articles, maybe you can try there?

I start my first day of classes for my last semester hopefully (lol), and our library has an article database so I will give it a go! I am just interested to know the process behind determining a 56 year old event used solely on eye witness accounts, old weather maps, and a newspaper article or two.....

Public libraries are the best source for old newspaper articles...all you need is the date in question and the time to scroll through the microfische. Hit the copy button, and presto...article in hand. If you're really going for old...like >100 years ago, the historical society of the city or county in question will have newspapers on microfische going as far back as local papers were printed (but expect data gaps here). It's how I was able to build a database on East TN tornadoes going back to the early 1800's (I know...no life :p). The Daily Weather Maps will have surface data (these actually go back to the late 1800's...check the college library for these). Without actually being able to survey the event, using the newspaper pictures and accounts together with what you know about what wind speed can cause what damage can give you a general idea of the strength of the storm.

Good luck with your classes, Danny!!!

Thanks Angie, my towns library (if you want to call it that) is pretty useless, but the neighboring town is a lot more in depth so I will for sure check that out as well. I always ask what damage surveys done now on past tornadoes would be.....as impossible as that is, it is worth thinking about.

Back