Layered image of 5-13 Meso

Just out of curiosity, what programs are you using to do this? Also, what do you think is the best photo editing program to use?

I think this would be a good question for anyone who's into storm photography. Especially if they are looking to enter the realm of using SLRs. I bring this up because I think I'm going to buy a Digital Rebel with my graduation money.

For just stitching 3 images together I usually use Canon's Photostitch that comes in the Digital Rebel package. It works pretty well, but here's a tip. When you take 3 seperate pics, take them all in manual with the same aperature, iso, etc. Don't take them in auto or else it will change the aperature, iso, etc. and cause your images to be diff. colors, but you can go back and change that later with some post processing, but its easier to stitch all 3 real quick if you shoot in manual with all same settings. As for stitching more than 3 images, I'm not real sure what program is best, maybe Aaron or someone else can eleborate.

Holy cow, Aaron, that has me stoked. I have a 20D coming in the mail this Thursday. If the out-of-the-box Canon photostitching program can do THAT (and I hope it can -- if it can't, I'll gladly use whatever it is you're using), I can see I won't be needing to save up to buy that 10mm lense I was thinking about. :)

Actually, I've never used canon's stitcher... perhaps I should try it. That was done using a trial version of panorama factory. IF you see the full size image, it has a few issues (some things duplicated on horizon) but I don't know enough yet to fix it. I might just try manual in photoshop next... once I ptlens correct the images.

Aaron

Oh sweet - nice job guys! ... Aaron beat me to the next idea - vertical stacking. I had planned to try this on the next storm but there haven't been any decent structured mesos to try it with yet.

Very very nice! - - - Could make a great poster. By the way, if you go back to the Hallam thread, Mark Humpage had some great ideas for programs to use ... Canon PS doesn't quite do the trick to hide stitches, etc. There are lots of tricks to pick up on these panoramas.

Aaron - what was the focal length you were using on your lens at the time if you happen to remember? -

Yeah - wider angle seems to work better for these - not as much distortion in the end product once you work the stitching. Exposure looks pretty good, I think - I get way too contrasty with these because I like to see detail in the clouds, so I don't care as much if the land looks a little underexposed. I'd say yours came out very nicely as far as exposure goes.

Back