KU Atmospheric Science Program / Meteorology job market

Originally posted by mikegeukes
Meteorology Programs (Undergraduate and Graduate)
Great Lakes Region:
Indiana: Ball State U, Indiana U, Purdue U, Valparaiso U

Ball State's program recently was overhauled to come up to NWS standards. Indiana does not have a program to my knowledge. I believe they have a geography degree with an emphasis on atmospheric science, but it is nowhere near enough for NWS employment, if I remember correctly.

Purdue is a good program, but I'm biased, of course. ;)

Well, Blake it looks like a big decision lies ahead of you. Before you make that decision you need to factor in a few things.

You need to make sure that meteorology is what you really want to study. I have seen it all to many times when people want to major in storm chasing or being a weatherman on TV and they don't care about other aspects of meteorology. I myself was a little guilty of that my freshman year but then became fascinated with all aspects of this field of study and couldn't be happier. For a lot of people that isn't true though.

Another decision that you of course will have to make is where you want to study. I could sit here all day and try to convince you to come to KU but when it all comes down to it almost any school that you get your degree in will teach you what you need to know. It's your passion to learn that will make you a good meteorologist and not a piece of paper. Theoretically if their was a "best meteorology school in the universe" if you attend this place but don't apply and soak in the things that you learn then it wouldn't mean jack.

Third, for your undergraduate degree. Research should not be a big concern of yours(thats what grad school is for) especially if you are wanting to work for the NWS. Although, their are more undergrad assistantship opportunities at the larger universities if thats what your interested in and as Mike U. said and KU is probably not the place for that. KU has good internship programs with the two NWS offices around Lawrence though and this is great experience and a great way to get your name out there.

When it all comes down to it though you need to visit the places that you are considering and pick the one thats the best fit for you(even if it is out of state). If you pick an environment that you are not comfortable in then it will be even harder for you to succeed in whatever degree you choose to pursue.

I hope this has helped!
Darin

Back