Katrina wind speeds

I think Katrina should be studied for revamping the storm surge estimates given for specific category storms. I remember several cat 3's and 4's that produced no serious storm surge. I think Katrina was a natural wave/surge maker because of its slow forward speed and direction. I guess the geology of the landmass off the coast also plays a part. Any thoughts?

Mike

I remember several cat 3's and 4's that produced no serious storm surge.

Coastline shape and the bathymtry of the ocean floor plays a major role in storm surge magnitudes. Just look at what Isabel did with the Chesapeake Bay.

Defoliation occurs with Cat-2 winds pretty easily. Frances defoliated everything from Cocoa Beach on south.

I think the AOML estimated winds seem pretty reasonable though maybe slightly underestimated in some sections on the west side. Note that Slidell ASOS had a 137 mph peak gust.

regards,

Jim

Originally posted by B Ozanne
With a lack of operating weather monitoring equipment at landfall you are going to have look at other sources to judge wind speed.

I've seen photos from Plaquemines Parish showing total defoliation. Does anybody know what kind of wind speeds are needed to do that? Defoliation probably isn't evidence of peak gusts, but long periods of high sustained winds.

Back