• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

July 24, 2021 Western IL Vibrant Sunset Shelf Cloud

I "chased" a few photogenic sub-severe storms in Schuyler and Hancock Counties on Saturday evening. The chase was rather unremarkable except toward sunset when a rather great photographic op presented itself. The rain being the storm was light enough that it was filtering the sunset through it similar to what I'd see with Colorado storms. Although later I moved my position and was hit with roughly 60 mph winds from a downburst near Bentley, IL. I managed to capture the storm before and up to that point. Here are some stills that I thought were worthy of sharing, I did not alter the colors in the sunset/whales mouth (as some have suggested).

_DSC2645.jpg

_DSC2570.jpg

_DSC2550.jpg

_DSC2811.jpg

_DSC2810.jpg

_DSC2854.jpg

Finally here is a cell I was on earlier in the evening when storms started to fire. It briefly had a wall cloud with weak rotation near Sciota, IL...but dissipated quickly as low level and bulk shear were lacking despite around ~6000 SBCAPE (although I feel like this was probably a bit generous given the BL 80 dew points weren't exceptionally deep and MLCAPE was significantly lower).

_DSC2401.jpg

So you used a Sony mirrorless camera with a wide angle (~10mm) lens setting - as a guess?
Lotsa saturation and low noise.
All very nice snaps.

No saturation added in post to these, it was truly that vibrant. And yes I shoot with numerous sony mirorrless lenses and bodies (Sony A7SIII, A7SII, A9 II, A7RIV, A7RIII). I own the 12-24mm F/2.8 GM lens and soon to own the 14mm F/1.8 lens as well for wide angle and 24-70mm GM for most of my chasing videos and shots. Thank you!

Back