• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

08-21-2021 Western IL Morning Shelf Cloud and Sunrise

I'm not sure whether to post this in the storms or landscapes category since it is under both. We had a line of rather unimpressive storms on radar move through around 2:30-3AM this morning in Western Illinois. I couldn't sleep so I went out to meet them and was greeted by a halfway decent shelf cloud. It wasn't the best I'd seen, but it was also leagues better than what I was expecting....which was basically a wall of rain. I was trying for cloud to ground lightning, but most was embedded in the rain core, so I bailed on that.

_DSC9696.jpg

_DSC9710.jpg

_DSC9712.jpg

_DSC9714.jpg

To the NE were some rather nice light pillars coming off Macomb, IL as I was about 15-20 miles to the SW.

_DSC9694.jpg

Fast forward a few hours later and what I thought would be a cloudy morning ended up producing a spectacular sunrise....while it was pouring down rain as well.

_DSC9843.jpg

_DSC9916.jpg

_DSC9956.jpg

_DSC00062.jpg

_DSC9873.jpg

Back