Jotto Desk with 15.4 inch laptop

I've got a new laptop (Dell 1525) that has a 15.4 inch screen. Is anyone using this big of a laptop on a Jotto Desk? One other concern, the laptop has the USB and power connectors on the sides of the laptop, right where the top cable would go. I'm guessing it would work OK, but am now questioning whether the cables might interfere with the connections on the sides off the computer. Jottos seem a little pricey, but it also seems that everyone that has one absolutely loves them and that they are worth it.

Thanks,
Van

I went to Ace Hardware and purchased some bigger springs and have my 15.4 mounted with no issues. It hangs off a bit on both sides, but the bigger springs keep it in check. Should be no problem. SPrings will cost you less than $5.00.

I've also got a 15.4" widescreen Dell laptop. I mounted it last year on my chase partner's Jotto Desk w/ cable dock and didn't have much problem, other than it slightly hanging over the edge. I've now got a Jotto Desk for myself (about time!) and haven't had any problems. The original springs do stretch to about the maximum length they should be stretched, that's the only thing to be cautious about I guess.. if I start having problems, I'll probably have to do what Tony did.

Sounds great guys, thanks for the info. After posting, I did find a FAQ on the jottodesk.net website indicating which cable lengths work with which laptops. But, sounds like I'll be OK with the default cables.

I have a 17 inch dell wide screen and also a 13.3 inch computer and have had no problems with my jotto .

Alternative to Jotto?

After doing some research, I've stumbled onto an alternative for a Jotto Desk.

http://www.mobilegear.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AEROADCAR-01

This is a mobile desk that sits in the passenger seat, is buckled in with the seatbelt, and has a sliding laptop tray to slide the laptop closer.

Advantages: Cheaper than a Jotto System, and it looks like it places the laptop in about the same position as the Jotto Desk. Disadvantages: Takes up the entire passenger seat, but if solo chasing, this isn't a big problem.

Has anyone used a mobil desk such as this, instead of a Jotto Desk?

Van

Has anyone used a mobil desk such as this, instead of a Jotto Desk?

I had fabricated something very similar to this a few years ago before I installed a mounting system from RAM. It was also secured with the seat belt, and I liked the extra nooks etc I had in it for maps and other things.

The disadvantage I found was that it bounced the laptop around a lot it seemed, and of course I didn't like loosing the seat either. Not sure if this model is any more stable. I accounted for the extra movement due to the springs in the seat.

Van,

I went through this same dilemna last year and also have some light to shed on your issue. For starters, check out this thread from last August that I started:

http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13381

I also see you found that Jotto Desk has three lengths of cables, so if you have the default set that should work with your 15.4" laptop. I have a 17" Toshiba and it hangs well over the edge of the Jotto, but almost any laptop would unless it's really small and mobile. The cable does kind of strap down right where the USB ports are on the side, but you can just shift the cable to the side to plug in whatever peripherals you have.

Tony suggested new springs, which I also tried out as an alternative option to allowing more flexibility with cinching it down. If you go to the hardware store you will find that they have more springs than Carter has little pills, so you can basically pick a set out if your current set is stretched to the max. It takes some trial and error, but you'll eventually find a set that will work.

I also had a company custom fabricate some cables for me which you will find in the above thread, but after learning that Jotto has different sizes of cables I asked them for a longer set and they shipped them right out. If you're in the market for a laptop mount there are so many options out there that it can get dizzying, but my experience with Jotto has been pretty good so I'd give them the old thumbs up. Best of luck!

Mark

I also have a Dell 15.4" and just adjusted the securing straps to make it all work. I have the top cable run along just above the numbers and below the function keys so it only covers the mic port and the memory card reader slot. It hangs off the side a touch, but all of the feet hit the corners and it's rock solid. You end up needing to ask yourself what your time is worth and what is 'good enough'. I've found the jotto desk to just plain be what works well.

-John

Back