Its Wintertime, Does Anyone Really Enjoy Winter?

MI got hit pretty good back by the Great Blizzard of 1978, which a monster SFC low of 950mb tracked through central OH into Toronto, Canada. Several locations got over a foot of snow, with winds gusting up and over 90MPH!

WOW!! 950mb!?!!?! That had to be crazy! I've never seen a winter storm that strong in the middle part of the country. The strongest one I've personally seen was back in December of 1987 I believe. That one brought us over a foot of snow with 60+mph winds and thunder.

I LOVE forcasting winter storms. Probably more than thunderstorms. There's nothing like checking every single model run as it comes in during the winter months anticipating all the changes in the tracks and forecasts... :lol:

*edit.....About two minutes after posting this, I felt a weak earthquake.

Yeah, 950mb... Though I was not around to witness that storm :(. Usually SFC lows that strong stay just offshore (AKA a Nor'easter). Other than that, the lowest pressure I have seen is ~960-965mb during the Superstorm of '93. But 950mb is a hurricane like pressure, quite amazing at that!

6c5e26c302ca8a8e31f91c94633e8f0c.jpg

Minnesota ? Nebraska ? South Dakota ?

No, Bologna in north Italy 8) :wink:

Snow days

We don't get too much snow here on the coast of NC but we've had our moments - It can snow anywhere from 2-6 inches but the condition of the roadways usually lends to determining if we're out - The saying around here is "If you don't like the weather, wait 20 minutes and walk around the corner...it'll change." I happen to enjoy watching puppies play in their first snow. My lab/cock.spaniel mix, Alex, could not understand it at all. She took chunks in her mouth and tossed it around, I guess trying to determine if it was anything like her toys because that's what she does to bones and rope-toys. She'd watch it fall and then stare at it waiting for any sudden movement for her to pounce on.

Back