Its Wintertime, Does Anyone Really Enjoy Winter?

You can't beat the feeling taking a walk by yourself or with your significant other when the snow is falling lightly, in the evening. (anyone know what the sound is called, that your shoes make when walking in newly fallen snow?)

That sound I call the "CRUNCH".

Of course if it's slush I call it the "SPLURSH".

And if it's ice I would call it "WHOAA" :lol:

Regards.

I am probably one of the biggest winter weather nuts on this forum. Moving to the high plains, I knew what I had to look forward to. The center of it all for high plains supercells in the warm season (well, at least until about mid June, then it's the dry downburst/microburst mecca of the world!), and snow with high winds in the cold season, with the occasional big blizzard. I love to forecast winter system, and the combination of my love for winter storms and forecasting them, I took over the winter weather focal point duties at my forecast office.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.underthemeso.com/winter/2003dec09/Dscn7005.jpg

I love the gentle fall of light snow which forms a nice even blanket on everything, however the combination of snow and high wind always interests me. I get this all the time in southwest Kansas. The wind can sculpt the snow in amazing formations that even the most imaginative mind can't really create.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.underthemeso.com/winter/2003dec09/Dscn7060.jpg

And there's also something about seeing the snow blow completely sideways with visibility near zero and hearing that deafening "howl" that all blizzards seem to make. I have experienced two events that have been classified as blizzards in Dodge City since I moved down here, each 4 hour events. One of these days, the big one will come (perhaps something like 3/22-25/1957... a 44hr blizzard in Dodge City... okay maybe not). I'm not sure how I'll react! That may be a little excessive :wink:

[Broken External Image]:http://www.underthemeso.com/winter/2003dec09/Dscn7057.jpg

Mike U

It's Wintertime, Does Anyone Really Enjoy Winter?

I must still be a kid at heart, because I can't wait to get snowed in (and Here in East TN it doesn't take much, only 1-2"!!). Snow days involve playing in the snow and eating (well, that part DOES involve some work, but cooking things that one really shouldn't eat that much of makes it more fun!!).
Sitting here with snow flurries coming down (and little hope of getting ANYTHING useful out of it :cry: ), while 60 miles to the east in the mountains there's 15" and counting :cry:
At least the models are hinting at a possible Christmas present from Mom Nature :wink:
Anxiously awaiting May
Angie

I enjoy winter, as long as there is some interesting weather going on. Snow and ice can be nice to look at, but just not fun to drive on. I really like trying to forecast precipitation and snowfall amounts with winter storms. Warm season severe weather will probably always be my first love, but winter storms will be high on my list.

I have mixed feelings about Winter. I love the first few snows each season, but I do get rather tired of it after the new wears off so to speak. My favorite thing is getting a nice snow that does a good job of covering everything and hangs around a couple of days. Then I won't it gone! Snow that occurs during really cold periods that just lies there on the ground for a week at a time is not my idea of fun. Nor is the frozen precipitation that makes driving a hassle and takes out the powerlines. And standing outside for 20 minutes trying to pour warm water around my car door to get it unfrozen (did that this morning) is no fun either! So Winter obviously has it's up's and downs. But I think I still prefer Winter to those days when it's 90+ outside and humid. At least when it's cold you can layer on the clothing. But when it's too hot, there is only so much you can do to cool off. I guess that explains why I am a Spring and Fall kinda guy!

At least when it's cold you can layer on the clothing. But when it's too hot, there is only so much you can do to cool off.

I disagree, if it is hot you can get instant relief by jumping in a pool, walking into a air conditioned room, even pouring water over your head etc but when you are cold it can take up to 45 minutes to thaw out.. I hate the cold and when the first snow falls I start making escape plans back to Texas. Give me 109 in the shade any day. As far as driving on the snow well to be honest if it snows I am quite litterally stuck at home. I cannot drive on snow or ice and for my saftey and that of others I don't even attempt to get on the roads until they are cleared. I have a hit things issue that my insurance company is growing rather tired of LOL..

For me, winter means chosing at 7:15AM between walking to class in sub-zero (well, at least last winter) wind chills or waiting for the overcrowded CityBus to get me to class late. As far as I'm concerned, the best thing winter is good for is reminding me of the Simon and Garfunkel song "I Am A Rock." A winters day/in a deep and dark December....

Waiting for spring,
Ben

Like most, as a kid I enjoyed snow and ice but I think a majority of that was because snow and ice meant a day off from school. But now being in my 20's, I hate having to go through winter. The only thing winter offer's me is downtime to freshen up for the next storm season.

I guess you could say now is the time I upgrade my equipment, maps, and look at my goals and plans for the upcoming season. But other than that, I hate it. Not so much now as I did when I worked in TV, that was horrid. We would have a ton of ice and snow on the ground and when I worked in TV all I did all day was drive around on the stuff.. that sucked!

But now that I work just a few blocks from the house in IT, I don't worry about it anymore.

I like all the seasons: they have all their beautiful things.

But I literally love winter: deep blue skies ... clear and frosty air ... snow ... fog ... skiing ... Holidays ... (and basketball :wink: ).

I LOVE winter!!! It's my favorite season. I can't stand the heat. I can't stand to get all hot and sweaty. I love driving in the snow and ice. I love bundling up under a blanket and watching a movie. I have a theory: If you are hot, you cannot take off enough layers to cool down, but if you are cold, you can always put more layers on to warm up.

Winter storms are right up there with severe thunderstorms for me. Nothing beats the feeling of a <980mb monster moving at you. I like 'em all... From blizzards to ice storms... It's the fun of forecasting them - from looking at isentropic analysis to cross sections of CSI...

MI got hit pretty good back by the Great Blizzard of 1978, which a monster SFC low of 950mb tracked through central OH into Toronto, Canada. Several locations got over a foot of snow, with winds gusting up and over 90MPH! Another storm like this just can't come soon enough for me! Here is the SFC map from 1978 - http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/stories/images...n26_12Z_SFC.jpg

And you can go here for the full story on the Blizzard -
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/?page=stories/blizzard1978

MI got hit pretty good back by the Great Blizzard of 1978, which a monster SFC low of 950mb tracked through central OH into Toronto, Canada. Several locations got over a foot of snow, with winds gusting up and over 90MPH!

WOW!! 950mb!?!!?! That had to be crazy! I've never seen a winter storm that strong in the middle part of the country. The strongest one I've personally seen was back in December of 1987 I believe. That one brought us over a foot of snow with 60+mph winds and thunder.

I LOVE forcasting winter storms. Probably more than thunderstorms. There's nothing like checking every single model run as it comes in during the winter months anticipating all the changes in the tracks and forecasts... :lol:

*edit.....About two minutes after posting this, I felt a weak earthquake.

Winter. Bleh. Furthest north I have lived in my life is here in Norman, OK. I think I would almost tend to agree most of the time with a high school friend of mine from CA, that water should not be in its solid form outside except for in the mountains (where you can go visit the snow).

I love snow, but only for about 2 days. Then it is time for the snow to melt and temps to get back in the 60's to 70's. And you have less daylight in the winter (at least in the No. Hemisphere), so much more time in darkness. Chasing aside, I would love for spring/summer to be here all year long. Gimme that nice juicy 80 degree dewpoint air!!! AHHHHHHH! ;)

If we were meant to live in places covered in snow, we would have natural fur coats of our own !!!!;)

Back