Its Wintertime, Does Anyone Really Enjoy Winter?

Its Wintertime, does anyone really enjoy the winter?

Average Snowfall Totals Source: NCDC
------------------------------------------------------
Colorado:
42.4 in Colorado Springs, 60.3 in Denver, 33.2 in Pueblo

Illinois:
38.5 in Chicago, 30.7 in Moline, 24.9 in Peoria ,35.2 in Rockford ,23.1 in Springfield

Indiana:
14.1 in Evansville, 32.4 in Fort Wayne, 23.6 in Indianapolis, 70.8 in South Bend

Iowa:
33.1 in Des Moines, 42.7 in Dubuque, 31.9 in Sioux City, 31.9 in Waterloo

Kansas:
21.7 in Concordia, 20.3 in Dodge City, 37.7 in Goodland, 20.7 in Topeka, 15.7 in Wichita

Michigan:
41.1 in Detroit, 44.9 in Flint, 73.2 in Grand Rapids, 74.4 in Houghton Lake
48.8 in Lansing, 96.1 in Muskegon, 141.0 in Marquette(City), 117.4 in Sault Ste Marie

Minnesota:
80.7 in Duluth, 65.5 in International Falls, 49.9 in Minneapolis, 48.9 in Rochester, 45.1 in St. Cloud

Missouri:
22.8 in Columbia, 19.9 in Kansas City, 19.6 in Saint Louis, 17.8 in. Springfield

Nebraska:
30.3 in Grand Island, 27.8 in Lincoln, 29.9 in Norfolk, 29.9 in North Platte
29.9 in Omaha, 41.2 in Scottsbluff , 33.5 in Valentine

North Dakota:
44.3 in Bismarck, 40.8 in Fargo, 41.9 in Willston

Oklahoma:
09.5 in Oklahoma City, 10.0 in Tulsa

South Dakota:
37.0 in Aberdeen, 41.2 in Huron, 39.7 in Rapid City, 41.1 in Sioux Falls

Texas:
04.6 in Abilene, 16.4 in Amarillo, 00.9 in Austin, Trace Brownsville, Trace Corpus Christi, 02.6 in Dallas, 00.9 in Del Rio, 05.3 in El Paso, 00.2 in Galveston, 00.4 in Houston, 04.6 in Midland, 00.3 in Port Arthur, 03.1 in San Angelo, 00.7 in San Antonio, 00.1 in Victoria, 01.4 in Waco, 05.8 in Wichita Falls

Wisconsin:
47.7 in Green Bay, 43.0 in La Crosse, 44.1 in Madison , 47.3 in Milwaukee

Mike

I love the challenge of forecasting winter storms...it sharpens the skills in advance of the spring season. To be honest, I'm still a kid at heart - staying up at night hoping it snows!

Well... I really don't like the cold, I am more of a warm weather person myself... consider that ironic though since I am Canadian and born during the winter! :lol:

But other than the cold, I do like to watch the snow fall. Big snowflakes rule! And forecasting winter storms is exciting for me plus it's much easier than forecasting when or where a supercell will pop up :eek:

And hey, when it's winter, it means Christmas, New Year's and my birthday are just around the corner! After all those dates are over with, the snow can all melt for all I care LOL 8)

I hate snow, and I hate ice. Hate driving on it, hate walking on it. The only ice I like seeing fall out of the sky is hail.

Originally posted by OU_WxGuesser
Donuts, Sledding, Snow Football, more Donuts.

Nuff' Said.

Aaron

Ahhh.....a man after my own heart!! Amen!

They've gotta be Krispy Kreme's, mind........... :p

I guess I must too be a big kid - but it is notoriously difficult and therefore challenging to forecast (or as I call it *guess*) at winter storms.
But seriously - there can be nothing more special than waking up to the sound of snow-silence in the morning - as the few cars that are moving make no sounds while driving down the neighbourhood, and the land is blanketed in white stuff. It's just as special - and apparently rarer here in the "Norman pit-effect" area than springtime storms!!!

My 0.02,

Karen Rhoden

www.stormskies.com

I really don't like winter. First of all, I like summer warmth, activities, and thunderstorms. Those aren't around in winter (mostly). What I like even less is the cold. I can't stand it, yes, you can dress for cold unlike the heat, but I'd rather be hot than cold. Of course, my physique is built for heat rather than cold. If it's gonna be cold though, it might as well be interesting and snow. It's a pain in the neck for travel, but is beautiful when freshly fallen and yes, fun to play in! I too enjoy the daunting challenge of winter forecasting. Another thing I don't like about winter are the dreary days. I probably suffer from S.A.D. to some degree, I feel energyless and less happy on dreary days, I need the sun! I of course suffer from SDS as well!

P.S. Mmmm, Krispy Kreme!

I hate heat. I hate Texas summers (except for the occasional air-mass storm).

I love snow, I love winter weather, and cold wx means all you have to do is bundle up.

That said, I've never lived north of 33 degrees latitude!

Morgan K5TVT
lived in Texas all my life.

When I was a kid, I dreamed many times of living in the northern clime, a place in my mind where winter lasted at least 9 months of the year and snow was never measured in inches, only feet. A place where each day you could make not only a snowman, but create a whole snowperson family reunion. A place where you could build and rebuild snow fortresses of all shapes and sizes and attack your enemy's snow fortress with large, catapult-launched snowboulders. It was my life's ambition to make that dream come true.

You see, we didn't get much snow in central Alabama. 2 inches would cause a major shutdown of everything, not the least of which were the schools. Oh, how we would rejoice! But, we also knew that in most cases, we'd have maybe have 2, 3 hours max to have fun in the fleeting snow, until it melted away and we were left once again with red, gooey clay. I HAD to get north.

But, a funny thing happened on my journey to the winterwonderland up north. I grew up.

So, when I got up here, the childhood magical visions I held of parading down the street with Frosty melted into the cold reality that the stuff I had longed for for so many years was nothing but a major headache!

So, do I like winter? You be the judge. :)

Regards,

Mike

The joke at my high school in Abilene was that if someone spilled a snow cone on the highway, they would cancel school.

Not far from the truth.

Morgan

Being that I live in California, winter is really the only time that I have any "excitement" (except for the occasional summer monsoonal thunderstorm in the Sierra/Nv's). It's always fascinating to track the storms coming in from the Pacific, and at least to try to forecast their route and intensity (snow levels are the most fun to attempt to predict).

Sometimes after a cold front moves through in late winter, it will lead to some instability in the valleys and possibly a few cold-core funnels, which is about as exciting as it gets over here.

So for me, winter isn't that bad - but if I lived in the midwest or plains, where "real" storms occur, winter probably wouldn't be my favorite time of year either!

Sarah

winter

When I use to live in Georgia, any snow would close down the town.
It was funny, the 4 letter word snow would send people in to the stores to buy up all the bread and milk.

Now, that I am in Canada, I am learning to hate snow :). Right now is 14F and about 4 feet of snow on the ground.

Originally posted by ScottK
I of course suffer from SDS as well!

I don't suffer from SDS...I'm "Convectively Challenged."

Originally posted by ScottK
P.S. Mmmm, Krispy Kreme!

Ohhh yeah. Ever since they opened up a KK here in Lafayette, I have been known to spend hours there with my "gang", eating donuts and watching a BMW sit in the parking lot for 30 minutes without anyone entering or exiting. What an exciting town...

Ben

Back