Inside Edition Thursday

Originally posted by Gayla Drummond+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gayla Drummond)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-mrobinson
The point is they do not have permission to be running that video after June 2nd I believe.

Actually, their 10 day license ran out on the June 3rd. You requested the video stop being sold on May 26th. You should keep better records.[/b]
The inside edition video is not in question..it was sold to them on May 24th.. Having said that this discussion is over..

Originally posted by mrobinson
The inside edition video is not in question..it was sold to them on May 24th.. Having said that this discussion is over..

Actually, there's a lot more people than you discussing this. They may not be finished with it yet. (Addition: Um...that was exactly what this thread was all about...Inside Edition re-airing the video, so yes, it was in question :D )

Sheila, thank you for sending that! :D

I just saw it and it appeared they didn't use all of it.

The entire running time of the footage and the interview is exactly 32 seconds.

Originally posted by nickgrillo
I just saw it and it appeared they didn't use all of it.

The entire running time of the footage and the interview is exactly 32 seconds.

Nick, when the media buys your video, they buy X amount of seconds of it, either as a flat rate for the package, or by the second, regardless of what they end up actually using on air. That way they can fit whatever into their show.

Originally posted by mrobinson+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrobinson)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-David Schuttler
You can always purchase a tape of the show from Inside's website. For an Official tape .

http://www.insideedition.com/library.htm

Just a thought
thats not the point. The point is they do not have permission to be running that video after June 2nd I believe. Since its being ran on Aug 5 we needed video tapes of it to prove it was run outside of the licence period. David and I would like to be paid for our footage they just ran without permission.[/b]

That wasn't my point.... If it went to court an official tape directly from the company would carry more weight than an illegally made tape. The point they ran the video after the license expired would be proven with either tape but with lawyers now days and all the different loopholes it was just a thought of better protection . I don't believe you can use an illegal tape as evidence if it lead to that point....

sometimes I over analyize

If it went to court an official tape directly from the company would carry more weight than an illegally made tape.

It is not illegal to videotape a broadcast show (or portions of it). It is illegal to sell a recording.

Not to get off-topic, but distributing anything that says "copyright" on it is illegal. Prosecuted -- I can't imagine unless you sell. But giving it away or loaning it to a friend violates the copyright act "or other transfer":

§ 106. Exclusive rights in copyrighted works36
Subject to sections 107 through 122, the owner of copyright under this title has the exclusive rights to do and to authorize any of the following:

(1) to reproduce the copyrighted work in copies or phonorecords;

(2) to prepare derivative works based upon the copyrighted work;

(3) to distribute copies or phonorecords of the copyrighted work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending;

I wanted to see a tape so I could see with my own eyes it was used...nothing more. It won't be needed in court evidence or anything else. They have it in their show logs. All of that is a non-issue as far as I am concerned.

Out of curiousity....what is a reasonable charge to let someone use your tapes? (don't answer if you don't want to)

It was nice to be able to see on TV your event rather on 56k download....you guys went through a tremendous experience.

~Haden

Originally posted by matthaden
Out of curiousity....what is a reasonable charge to let someone use your tapes? (don't answer if you don't want to)

It was nice to be able to see on TV your event rather on 56k download....you guys went through a tremendous experience.

~Haden

I am guessing you were asking me? It varies widely for commercial use depending on what it is. This event, along with many of the others I was involved with this year will be available, hopefully this fall, in a compilation video on VHS and just maybe DVD

Back