Infrared Tornado Film

Has anyone ever filmed a tornado in the infrared spectrum? I'm sure its been done, but I don't remember coming across it in my readings. It seems that temperature interactions between the RFD, updraft, and other downdrafts would be very fascinating to watch in motion, unless infrared cameras are not suited for such applications. Perhaps the vortex project did something similar back in the day?

I saw a program some months back that showed a group using such a camera for that purpose. I'm not sure if it was on PBS or The History Channel. I'll have to check on that, or maybe someone else here knows.

i wonder if anyones ever tried using nightvision on a tornado chase...

Hopefully not the driver! I can picture a few techno-rambo's driving around with a set of NVG's on... 8)

Seriously though, I'm sure a few people have used the "nightshot" or similar feature on their camcorder for this. Personally I prefer not to chase in the dark...

i wonder if anyones ever tried using nightvision on a tornado chase...

I might have to try that this spring if the opportunity permits, as I do have a night vision scope (a holdover from living in the country). However a big problem that I see is it messes up dark-adapted eyes. The light coming out of the eyepiece is kind of harsh, and it would probably work quite well for seeing a tornado but the situational awareness of the storm (structure, etc) would be completely destroyed, as night vision devices don't work well for wide-angle views. But it might be ok when other people are driving/navigating.

One other thing that might have to be considered is damage to the sensor if the night vision device sees a lightning flash.

Tim

Has anyone ever filmed a tornado in the infrared spectrum? I'm sure its been done, but I don't remember coming across it in my readings. It seems that temperature interactions between the RFD, updraft, and other downdrafts would be very fascinating to watch in motion, unless infrared cameras are not suited for such applications. Perhaps the vortex project did something similar back in the day?

I have. My old Sony Hi 8 TRV-75 has Nightshot mode which is infrared. I used it particularly at night on my June 4th 1999 chase in NE where I filmed a supercell, lightning, and tornadoes in the dark.

Interestingly some of that footage appears in my recent music video just posted http://www.tornadoxtreme.com/1999_Chases/J...e_4th_1999.html

Infrared mode works fairly well with lightning present. Of course everything has a greenish grey look but in my case it improved resolution of features over the daytime mode of my camera with less noise. I now have a much better digital camcorder with good low light capability so I would use that rather than infrared.

As far as tornadoes go they appear dark against a lit up lightning splashed background. It is cool though because you can see a lot of features of cloud and ground that you wouldn't be able to see quite as well otherwise.

Keep in mind that video is compressed so it loses quality.

Great video Bill.. I liked how you synched the cuts with the beat in the beginning and then with the lightning at the end. That backlit rope is unreal! The stills of it remind me of the Wizard of Oz.

Great video Bill.. I liked how you synched the cuts with the beat in the beginning and then with the lightning at the end. That backlit rope is unreal! The stills of it remind me of the Wizard of Oz.

Thanks man. That rope was a wicked little tornado! :p

Back