If Rita hits at night -- will you still chase it?

Mike Johnson

Since Katrina was a daylight hitting storm -- I'm just wondering
how many chasers will go the distance to chase what appears to
be a nighttime (hitting coast) storm.

Mike

I am praying that she will slow down a little. I think it is a fair possibility considering its current speed. I will probably still chase it if it hits at night, but it won't be nearly as much fun.

i will.depending on how strong it gets and what direction it goes.pending it hits between Port Lavaca and Houston,i will be on the east side of it.take HWY 59 S straight to it or 45 S.ALSO,depends on what Law Enforcement does to.they may not let anyone in that shouldn't be there.

Mike ~ the answer to your question is yes! I will be leaving London on Thursday to try and intercept Rita somewhere in Texas.

At this time of year (close to the equinox) there is a 50/50 chance of a day/night time landfall so I will take my chances – Ivan was a Night time . Isabel was a day time…. this far out I dont know what time Rita will come ashore.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"B Ozanne\")</div>
A change in speed by +/- 2mph over this distance can easily change the landfall time by many hours.[/b]

that is what i am thinking.probably some where in the early AM saturday range.

Usually -- the NHC strike time at 4-5 days out is off by 8-12 hours which would likely make it a daytime storm -- at this point if delayed. I'm also guessing any turn to the north, if prolonged, might add a few hours. FYI, just saw the Accu-Wx guy on Fox say he thinks it will go Cat 4-5.

Mike

Latest NHC public advisory (8:00 PM-EST - 9-20-05) has slowed Rita down to 12 MPH. (It was moving at 15 MPH).

If this trend continues, the storm has a higher chance of a daytime strike although it's still a long way out. I am just wondering if once it gets on the west side of the ridge if it's not going to race north?

Mike

That is what I was thinking Mike. We need Rita to slow down quite a bit because she will probably accelerate once it begins to round the ridge. Even with the NHC's new time line, it still looks like it would hit before dawn.

Back