Hurricane chasing

Thanks for all the warnings about chasing these hurricanes - kinda confirmed what my thoughts were and the dangers involved.
Its easy to get caught in the fantacy when you see TWC reporters and when you see the tornado potentials popping up right and left.
NO Ill pass on it - wet clothes - sleep deprivation - gas shortages - road closures - but good luck to those who go for it !!!

Do you REALLY just plain get arrested for being out during a curfew? What is the law on this type of situation?

Although this is the reason they issue curfews in the first place......and I think I'd be more than a little wary of breaking one.

KL

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of useful information in this thread.

I'll actually be leaving for Japan next week to cover the typhoon season (through early October) for Weathernews, along with Robin Tanamachi (from OU). Of course, unless we try intercepting everything that comes within passing distance of Okinawa, there probably won't be much to chase (Japan only averages 2-3 landfalling typhoons per year, last year's record 10 notwithstanding). Regardless, I'm looking forward to getting my feet wet (ha!).

So you want to chase a hurricane.

Equipment I have for this years cane chasing.

Kevlar Body Armor Jacket

Life Preserver To Wear Under Armar Jacket.

Disposable Clothes, Lots Of Them. Several Pairs Of Boots.

Safety Helmet With Face Mask And High Impact Shooting Goggles
http://www.lightningboy.com/frances/DSC07746.jpg
And yes, the wind was pulling my rain suit pants off.

Hand Held Emergency Strobe To Attach To Helmet

Damn, it's like getting ready for war! :shock:

Have fun in Japan Jeff. I am sure you are going to be well informed and well looked after, but if you have any questions, please feel free to email me.

Also, if you visit Okinawa, be sure to get in touch. If you get a chance to visit Okinawa and don't have an expense account to pay for it, I know lots of places with cheap rates, from business hotels at ~$40 a night to relatively clean guesthouses (in a great location) for less than $20 a night. And of course I would love to show you around!!!

Typhoons are much more fun in Okinawa, because they move slowly. By the time they reach mainland Japan they are quickly approaching extra-tropical speeds. Also, in Okinawa, every building is reinforced concrete, with reinforced glass, and usually a balcony on the wall opposite the front door, so you have a good vantage point for each half of the storm :D

Have a great day,
Tom

I apologize if this has been mentioned before, but I'm curious what folks do with extra gas cans when chasing a hurricane. I've heard it mentioned that you shouldn't store full gas cans inside the vehicle. Is this because of fumes or some other reason? If not storing them inside the vehicle, then where do you put them?

After hurricane Frances last year, pretty much all of eastern FL was without power and gas. I never want to go through that again...being stuck for 3 days. I'm planning on bringing 15 gallons next time, but am concerned about what to do with the tanks.

Thanks!

It depends on the type of tank Dave. This is my opinion but I think that with the Military style cans I could store them inside, they are totally sealed and very puncture resistant. any others and I would consider storing them on the roof of an SUV with a rack and a ratchet strap or something.

We actually did have a vented style can in the back of our SUV for dennis and never noticed any fumes. I think they vent only if they reach a certain pressure from sitting in the sun.

I had two 5 gallon cans and since I have a truck I just strapped them down in the back. I did bring them inside my hotel the night before the hurricane since gas was next to impossible to find and everything in the back of my truck was visible from the second story of the hotel I figured they would get stolen if I left them in the back. I did not have any problems smelling the gas and they are the cheap self venting cans. Next time I go I will bring 30 gallons. There were a couple times when I was looking for gas I ran into a family trying to evacuate and could not find enough gas to leave. I wouldn't mind being able to help next time eventhough they should have known better. I will also bring a chainsaw since more times than not you will find a tree in your way.

Hurricane Dennis - Interception Complete

Good day all,

Just finished the hurricane Dennis interception in Pensacola, Florida on July 10 (I am still shocked that I am not saying "September 10")!

The link for my report is below...

http://www.sky-chaser.com/denn05.htm

I also included a picture from the site below...

dennfld1.jpg

Enjoy and be safe chasing hurricanes!

some gas cans leak and smell... they go on the roof, or in the truck bed..

others dont leak... you can keep those wherever you want.

Brandon mentioned this and I agree... I was also worried about my gas getting stolen since it is always in such short supply around hurricanes... so I covered up my gas cans inside the car and ran a bike lock through the ones on the roof.

We actually did have a vented style can in the back of our SUV for dennis and never noticed any fumes. I think they vent only if they reach a certain pressure from sitting in the sun.

Yeah the only time I smelled gas was when we got an extra empty gas can from Jeff Piotrosky who tossed it in the back of my truck. You have half the problem with the smell of the gas is when you spill a little bit on the outside of the can. A few drops will stink your ride up like having your chase partner eatting baked beans and chilli then washing them down with cheap beer and crab cakes only to then spend several hours on a plane flying into the target area...

One thing that we did have great luck with was me being able to spot odd stuff which helped in shooting video. Blake and I were driving around looking for a store to get some hot food the night before the storm when we drove past a gas station and I spotted a tanker truck loading them up. We were one of the first in line so the next day we had a full tank of fuel and about 15G of extra fuel that allowed us pretty much free roaming range of motion to go all over the place behind the police lines to work.

I also found several new tricks and toys that I want to get. Since like it or not, chasing is a business and I really don't like to share any business details but I will share a couple for safety and comfort.

FRS Radios with head sets. Blake was 4 feet from me at times and I could yell at him and he would not be able to hear me. Also when Jeff P drove up, he wanted to chat but to do so ment we had to open the window that would get rain on all our stuff.

Also as another note. If you do roll up on someone and there shooting video, don't interupt them because all your going to do is mess up their audio track and really piss them off.

And last but not least, if your going to call someone that is chasing a hurricane, have all the info at your finger tips about what the storm is doing and provide info that is very usefull. Don't be that special someone that knows your hurricane chasing and calling to say "What are you doing"
thats just stupid and your just going to annoy people.

These "self-venting" gas cans...I don't believe I've seen this.
I bought a few 5G cans yesterday that have a spring loaded nozzle seal to prevent leaks. You have to place a special spout in the car's tank, and then push the 5G can's nozzle against it, which pushes back the spring, allowing fuel flow. They recommend venting the can before use by briefly pressing the spring down manually, but I see no mention of self-venting. Or does self-venting just mean there's an air tube built into the nozzle so it doesn't "glug-glug" when pouring?

The issue of folks stealing the gas is another reason I wanted to keep the cans inside the vehicle.

A few drops will stink your ride up like having your chase partner eatting baked beans and chilli then washing them down with cheap beer and crab cakes only to then spend several hours on a plane flying into the target area...

So that's what that was you smelly bastard! damn, i'm adding gas masks to my list of stuff to bring on a chase.

Thanks for all the great tips, everyone. As Jeff Lawson mentioned, I'm also going to Japan to cover typhoons for Weathernews starting next week. (Why they want an Okie to do this is beyond me, but hey, paid vacation!) I've already packed my rain suit and goggles; I still need to find a good pair of rain boots. I plan on getting very cold and wet.

I am really looking forward to this new experience; doubtless it will be a learning one.

Back