Hurricane chasing

Just wondering how many people out there do any hurricane chasing and what are some of your experiences????

It is now hurricane season and I have already made two trips to the plains and my chase season is coming to a close.

I have chased hurricanes since 1998 and love it! It is not comparable to tornado chasing, but IMO equally as fun. The roar of a hurricane is a very scary, dangerous, fun, exciting and an adrenaline rush that will truly make you respect wind. The ultimate is actually getting into the eye feeling the intense winds and rain and going to a complete calm with partly sunny skies and back in just a matter of a few minutes.

Hurricane chasing differs greatly. Since you can have a general idea of landfall about three days out and it is not difficult to pinpoint a location like forecasting a tornado. Also instead of watching the storm you are now feeling the storm. The most difficult and challenging part of Hurricane tracking is getting where you want to go before during and after the storm. There are many factors to picking your location to "hunker down". The most important things are building structure, elevation and position compared to the eye.

Number of hurricanes: 9
Number of tropical storms: 14
Strongest: Ivan, category four
most fun: Lilly (never rained to hard and really got to play in the 90 mph winds)
least fun: Georges, all I had to do to chase this one was stay at my dad's house. A 100 year oak tree split the house in half at 2am. Luckily it did not injure anyone but did cause over 100K in damage.

I chased Hurricane Isabel inland and got some great footage of a tree falling along with howling winds and blowing rain. I was then stranded for several hours on I-95 while additional trees blew across the road in the dark. I was lucky I wasn't squashed.

Hurricane chasing is fun but I don't like the lack of power, facilities, and difficulty in movement. One may need to camp for a while as these can be long term events.

For the tree falling video and description of my experience with images:

http://www.harkphoto.com/isabel.html

For the excitement of Hurricane chasing, I would recommend purchasing some of Jim Leonard's video or Weathervine/BNVN's Hurricane Charley video. Amazing stuff.

Bill Hark

I don't like the idea of not being able to decide when the "chase" is over (you don't chase a hurricane). Even if you get some amazing video, you're stuck there until the storm decides you're done. I like for myself to be in control of the chase/intercept, not the storm. That said, I would probably try it once with a group of friends (better to be nearly killed/stranded for days with buddies than by yourself).

Shane you are right about the hurricane having all of the control. Once you pick your spot your there for a while. I haven't ever tried to drive through hurricane conditions like Bill. That must have been a really bad feeling not being able to see trees being blown by your vehicle.

I always bring a generator and plenty of supplies. It makes the trip everytime! When the tree fell across my dad's house in Georges the only thing we took to our neighbors house was the generator.

As for your first hurricane chase, please go with someone that has done it before and don't start with anything stronger than a weak category two.

It is something everyone should try once and decide if they like it. You will either love it or hate it. It does make for some great video and memories.

I will chase a hurricane purely for it's mini supercell/tornado potential in the outer rain bands. Especially this year, when there has been nearly zero supercell and tornado activity in my area, the tropical systems will serve to provide a second 'season' so to speak, in particlar any that collide with a middle latitude disturbance or cold front. Chased one of the systems last September and saw one of the best defined rotating wall clouds I've seen with any spring time storm. As for the eye wall itself, after going through quite a few I now prefer to ride that part out at home, lol.

Hurricane "chasing"

I do plan on "chasing" any hurricane that threatens the USA this year, I have never "chased" a hurricane before so it should be a very interesting experience. :D

Here's your chance. Just heard about "Tropical Storm Arlene" on the news...hopefully, it'll develop into something in the next few days. *crosses fingers*

Sarah

I am still debating on going. I've had my eye on Pensacola for a few days (so has Arlene) now and the only reason I am not there is because of the system for Sunday. If I drive to Fl it will just tack on an extra five hours to a fifteen hour drive and I would not make the Sunday/Monday chase unless I left during the storm. The other reason is the area is still in shreds from Ivan and law enforcement is going to be so strict and the people living in the Fl panhandle are not taking this storm likely eventhough it will probrably only be a category 1 hurricane with winds between 75-85. The next reason is most of the good areas to view the storm are already under mandatory evacuation.
I don't feel as though I can make both trips and since this will probrably be my last chance to storm chase until next spring I would like to see another tornado or two. I'm sure I will have plenty of other hurricanes to go after since hurricane season just started last week. I would love to hear any details from anybody that does go. I still might head out in a couple hours, but I doubt it. If any of you do go please post some pics! Good luck and be careful! Remember the wind isn't what kills you.

I have chased/intercepted tropical systems before but I just started two years ago. I was in Tropical Storm Bill in 2003 and Hurricane Ivan in Pensacola. I think it is fun and exciting but I don't like how you can get stuck in one place for a while. I only wish Ivan had come onshore during the day. It was pitch black and I could not see much. I am hoping to chase a hurricane if one makes landfall in the U.S. We almost chased Arlene but for now I am chasing tornadoes. :D

Derek Deroche and I were in Bill as well. We were in Cocodrie, LA. We figured we were teh only ones down that way. :wink:

And of course I was in Mobile for Ivan....

I kinda like it here, the storms come to me. :lol:

I was in Bill too. I spent most of the storm in my hotel in Morgan City. There was a tornado warning for an embedded cell in one of the outer bands that went right over us. Other than that it was pretty boring since the hotel would not let anyone in or out.

I was still thinking about coming down until a couple hours ago. Looks like it should be a fun storm without too much intensity. I am holding out on the tropics for one more storm chase in the plains on Sunday. Wish the system in the plains was held up one more day so I could have done both. It would be nice to see a tropical system and classic tornado in two days.

You guys have fun!

Be Careful Folks!!!

Hi all,

Long time reader (well, maybe not that long, only about 1 and 1/2 years), first time poster.

I have been a little disturbed by the growing interest in Hurricane Chasing that has been evident since lasts years storms. I live in Okinawa, Japan, and every year 6 typhoons on come close enough to warrant high wind warnings (wind speed of over 25 m/s or about 50 mph), and usually one makes a direct hit on the island with winds over 100 mph. Needless to say, people here are used to typhoons.

My first typhoon was a truly awesome experience. I am from Michigan and have seen funnel clouds, hail, and some awesome derechos, but nothing prepares you for the intensity of a tropical storm. For me, just the continous roar of the wind is enough trigger that "weather euphoria" that most people interested in severe weather seem to share.

The first strong typhoon I experienced was even more amazing. It was also almost my last. I was outside by "accident" as the eye passed, and I caught the full force of the eyewall (about 120 mph gusts) with only a North Face Gore tex jacket to protect me. I scrambled for cover, crawling to the lee of a building, as the wind was flapping my jacket strongly enough to leave bruises and making it difficult to breathe. When I reached cover I felt I was safe and would only have to wait out the strongest winds before I could trek back home. As that thought crossed my mind, a piece of debris knocked me out. I came to only 5 minutes later but with quite the headache.

My point here is that your should think very carefully about venturing into a hurricane's path. NO ONE CHASES HURRICANES!!! THEY CHASE YOU!!!
I know many people will try anyway and have unforgettable experiences. I hope you too have a wonderful and safe event. But please think very carefully before you decide to go after that cat 4 monster. Nothing can prepare you for it. And there are no escape routes, no EMTs or ambulances, no second chances if you make an error. It is very easy to wait just a little bit too long, to go just a little bit too far, and experience a horrible life-altering (or life-ending) event. I am not exaggerating in order to scare you or to be condescending, but rather speaking from experience. It is all too easy to get caught up in the awesome energy of the moment and make a regrettable decision.

I also worry about people chasing hurricanes because of the relative ease with which you can get to one. Unlike a successfully chasing a tornado, which is a combination of experience, knowledge, and luck, getting to a hurricane only requires a car with gas, time, and a hurricane. If as many people suddenly started after hurricanes as there are chasing after tornadoes, I think we could finally have our weather related first chaser deaths.

If you want to let that hurricane chase you, please do. It will be a great experience. But please follow my and other poster's advice earlier in this thread and go after a weaker storm, especially if you have never experienced a tropical storm. They are truly awe-inspiring events, but also events that require a great deal of respect.

All that being said, this is my first year with high speed internet, so I am trying to figure out ways to stream high quality live video so I can share Okinawa's typhoons with all of you this year. I hope to keep people posted about Okianwa's typhoons as long as there are people interested. Not quite as exciting as a successful tornado chase, but hopefully I can add some vicarious typhoons to all of your lives later this year.

Be Careful out There!

Tom

One other factor that may or may not have been mentioned is the fact that is would be a pain to have to traverse through the rubble AFTER the storm. It would suck to have to stay somewhere in the sweltering heat for a few days while the roads are cleared. I am intriqued with chasing a hurricane be it a strong or weak one. I think the debris and flooding would be my biggest concern.

The debris on the roads usually is cleaned up very quickly (outside of a large cat 4-5). Water is the biggest concern in a hurricane. You have to worry about the initial storm surge which causes extensive coastal flooding. A slower moving tropical system can put down feet of rain. This is true even which a T.D. not just a major hurricane so there is always local flooding and sometimes widespread flooding since some of these storms will put down 4-6 inches of rain over hundreds of square miles. You can never have too many supplies. I usually take a generator, first aid kit, penty of food and drinks, batteries, flashlights, gas, clothes and all my gadgets.
Tom I would love to see some live footage from some of the typhoons out there. I don't know how you could set it up but it sure would be neat to see live streaming video. One question though, how did you manage to "accidentally" get caught outside in the eyewall during the landfall of a cat. 3 storm? Were you tracking the storm or did it just hit near you?

Back