How to get a spotter group for your county

When I moved back home my country has never had a spotter group just fire departments that would go out when it really got bad. The country that I was living in had a spotter group and a nice EMA office but that was because of the nuke plant in the country. The other counties around have spotter groups but for some reason our country has never had one. So i am wondering how would I take to in my county about getting a spotter group?

Contact the WCM at your NWS office and he will probably be your best source for starting it up.

I would suggest trying to set up a meeting to sit down with both your WCM and EMA director in one session, and maybe even invite someone from a local amateur radio club as well.

Strength in numbers is good so I would go out to the local high point in your county the next time there's severe weather. There's bound to be be a high number of spotters hanging out there that would love to join you I would imagine.

I wish I could have a spotter group for my county but, Fort Lewis, WA area is relatively boring and doesn't get too much severe wx at all. I don't even think some people think it exists here. Of course I have someone say that it doesn't storm here too lol.

I guess there isn't a lot of chasers in the WA area lol.

Back