how many is your chase groups??

Jamie Lahowetz

I was feeling bummed today cause my partner opted to do something else instead of chasing and it got me thinking. how many people do you go chasing with? Do you go in pairs or by yourself? or do you go in large groups?

since i'm a newbie to the chasing community i have nobody but myself to go with :( , although i'd love to go with someone to see how it's really done

I've gone by myself before (May 29 when everyone was in KS and I was on the HP in Oklahoma), but I prefer to go with other people since I can get their input. It also makes the drive a lot easier to handle if you are going with others.

storm chasin

I still have yet to work on a group. I know a few people who get intrigued when talking about the weather, but I still have alot to learn yet, and I haven't yet found someone who would enjoy it enough that wouldn't be doing it for other reasons besides the thrill of the hunt for storms. I think I'll eventually find someone to ride with, but until then I'll sail this ship on my own accord;)

Being an OU student and having plenty of peers that also like to chase, we slut around quite a bit. Basically you figure out who is driving amongst my core bunch of friends a day or 2 in advance (are you even available) and then it's a mad dash on IM and phone to figure out who is going where. I usually like to take 2 max in my car so I have plenty of room for camera stuff, although I will take max capacity (4 total including me). With gas prices so high, it's a bit cheaper that way. I'll go solo if I have to, although that is rarely the case. Usually I only do that when I am out just taking lightning or average joe tstorm pictures.

Aaron

"...we slut around quite a bit..." HAHAHAHA, I couldn't help but laugh at the choice of words Aaron, HAHAHAHA Not a slip of the tongue you want to make in front of the wrong person :lol:

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled topic.

Tim

It's always a coin toss, and probably will be until I have a car of my own.

By meeself... I also like to check in by cell phone with chase buddies who station themselves in different spots - one likes to work Paradise Valley and the mountains there to the north, and one goes for all points West, like Lake Pleasant or the White Tank range. It's fun to compare conditions with them by phone, and they get the Central Deserts or Eastern mountain report from me...or Tucson, wherever I might be at the time...

I chase alone mostly because during Monsoon the fur can fly in an instant and there's no time to coordinate. Distances are vast out here and by the time people got together for a chase, a lot would be missed. I have learned this from prior occasions taking media. In addition, I don't like to stay in one place...actually the opposite...(confess) maniac desert runner ("you're where?") and sometimes this goes all night long. A lot of people would lose patience for that I think, as well as my habit of moving from spot to spot. But that's what has brought me the best shots...

Road trips are a different story, as are the Plains, as sometimes I go on road trips alone or like to bring others at other times, and in the Plains chasing with a team can be really positive, but sometimes I chase alone if the coordinating thing doesn't happen or partners aren't available.

Road trip wise - I'm planning to get some chase friends together for a Painted Desert lightning shoot later this year. That's an example of when a team chase will be a really good time...woo-hoo....

I don't like going alone, though I will if I have to. Maybe it's just the female fear complex of getting raped by a scuzzy while out there.

I just go with whoever is available. I don't have a set "group" or person I chase with; it's kind of a spur of the moment thing...

I usually chase in pairs, I need someone who is local, with more experience, and I think I would go stir crazy trying to drive 800 miles a day by myself trying to keep track of the weather around me.

My philosophy on a convoy is that I don't mind being a part of one when getting into positon due to the increased amount of data avaliable, it was very helpful on May 29th - but when the storm breaks, then we are on our own. If we end up going with others, fine, but I am not going to worry about anyone else's judgement when we can see the sky for ourselves.

It was a kick chasing with Mark Hill and Mike Umschied way back when he was a punk kid (no wait, he's still a punk young adult) :newb: so there is also no problem with three, but more than that really crowds a rig when you are trying to carry all the hardware and luggage.

Chasing with a partner is not out of the question but I have always chased alone and enjoy not having to discuss where I go and what to do. My older brother wants to go chase with me next time I go out. We will see how he likes it but I won't turn around if he doesn't like it. He knows all to well how intense I get while chasing. I won't chase in a group because I won't let a group dictate where I go.

I don't know anyone else who chases so I have to chase alone. I have had several people tell me they want to go with me but they are usually people I don't want to take with me for one reason or another. I took my brother out for a bust and took my dad once, other than that I always go solo. I don't mind going alone it has some advantages. There is something really peaceful about driving down the highway early in the morning when your alone that puts me at ease. It would be nice to go out with an experienced chaser who could answer some questions and help me out though.

Depends...
If I'm chasing here in E TN, it's solo, simply because there is nobody around to chase with.
Out on vacation, it depends on who is availbale. Having someone who knows their way around is very helpful when it comes to navigating the back roads. I might go out solo, might have a partner, or might go in a convoy...did all three this year and each worked out well. If you are going with somebody, just be sure there are shared goals and a good level of communication...otherwise, it can be a long, hard, frustrating day!!
Angie

Back