How can we make Stormtrack better for 2011?

I dunno, Adam...after seeing Rob's "uncut" version of the drill sergeant on FB, I almost feel like the guy here is paying me a compliment.

In response to your comment, first, I hate making things more complex than they need to be. Bearing that in mind, I decided to toss the idea out on the table anyway and see where it went. My reasoning is that some infractions carry punitive weight to them, and they should, while others are merely corrective. Thus, from what I can see, not all infractions are equal; yet presently they're all lumped under one negative-sounding term.

Now factor in the different levels of maturity represented on this forum along with people's differing views on what it actually means to get slapped with an infraction--a term I can't find defined or even mentioned in the FAQs/rules (did I miss something?)--and I find myself thinking that it might be helpful to separate between the severe-sounding term and something more positive.

I don't see this approach as capitulating to thin-skinned people. I see it as serving both members and staff by adding a communication option that can give moderators an extra diplomatic edge while still using infractions for actions that call for a firm slap on the wrist, particularly for repeat offenders who ought to know better.

I think you know that I am NOT for coddling bad behavior. I like that this forum articulates and enforces its rules, even when I'm the guy who gets infracted for screwing up. But I think that having an extra, more positive-sounding term on hand can serve both members and moderators by clarifying that some correction is just correction, not a penalty.

For that matter, though, I suppose the mods could at their discretion just PM a person. I had that happen recently. I screwed up and got a note from a mod advising me that I'd crossed protocol. No infraction issued, just a course correction that I needed and appreciated. There's more than one way to get the job done, and one of the virtues of good moderators is their ability to make appropriate judgment calls.

I see the reasoning behind it, I mean, it can be renamed to whatever anyone would want to call it but the end result would be the same unless the point system itself is revised.

Ive always been a subscriber to the "tough love" class when it comes to discipline, thats just me. IMO it is the only way people learn. The second you get soft is when people think they can walk all over you.

Im not trying to be a dick, just debating is all.

The thread appears to have run its course so this is a good time for me to respond. Thank you everyone for posting. I read all of the ideas and actually do plan on revisiting this thread often during the runup to spring to see where we need things to head. I can't address all of the 100+ ideas one by one, but I'll touch on a few of them below.

The issues with rules and Target Area were brought up, and one direction we will definitely be heading in will be to simplify the rules somewhat. I do agree that the rules are kind of formidable for new users and could use some simplification. The Bar & Grill rule change awhile back showed that almost everyone is willing to abide by the standards; making sure they're communicated clearly and succinctly will be the main challenge and this is something we will work on.

Another idea that I agree with is toning down the language used for warnings. I had not really considered that, but the less we can put people on the defensive, the better. At the same time we will reinforce penalties for people who continue to break rules and make sure the infractions are given and are enforced.

We will probably go ahead and make some headway this winter with integrating Stormtrack somewhat into Facebook. The forum software was also brought up. The vBulletin upgrade/license track is kind of expensive unfortunately and I have been hedging on putting another year in to give it some more thought. Right now there are no plans to change the software, especially if that means losing features, but we will almost certainly be upgrading to VB4 or looking at alternative software.

One theme that has come up several times is the issue with advanced chasers going elsewhere. I used to agree with this but I'm starting to think we're all perpetuating a stereotype. Certainly, those who are in the OU/PSU/COD academic sphere and those who are part of 1970s-1980s chase circles do end up going to CFDG because that's where you go to find your peers or work up your ideas for a journal paper, and ST is not CFDG and will not replace it. So what about the others?

If there are specific non-CFDG boards veterans are going to, it's news to me. I think rather that there is a tendency for chasers to shun the social aspect of chasing as they get more experienced or use it in a more utilitarian fashion, not because of a scourge of yahoos and newbies, but perhaps most people who have put many years into a hobby inevitably lose those early sparks; others probably establish a circle of friends in the hobby to meet their social needs and pare social contact down to them. There's so much other stuff to do on the Internet these days, too. So I think there is probably a lot more going on than it seems, and it may be presumptuous to conclude that ST has pigeonholed itself as a starter forum. Maybe ST involvement is commensurate with enthusiasm than with experience.

There were several posts asking about my presence on Stormtrack (or lack thereof), and there is disagreement on what my role here is. My responsibility as admin is primarily to make sure Stormtrack is operational, functional, and remains the top resource in its field. I would be happy to participate more in the educational and weather threads but doing so tends to come at the cost of neglecting server issues, configuration, moderation issues, or PM requests, and those have to come first. My time is limited, too, due to raising a kid, tending to business 24/7, and getting through a recent series of moves and other domestic issues, but things are looking better and I should be able to participate more on the board. However if the board thrives without my continuous oversight, which I think it does, that means we've done things right.

Anyhow I wanted to at least respond and thank you all for the suggestions, and you can certainly continue to post. This is all really helpful and it will give us a better idea of what changes are in order for 2011.

Tim

Maybe ST involvement is commensurate with enthusiasm than with experience.

DING! DING! DING! I think we have a winner! Tim, I think that sums it up in a nutshell. I think some people lose their enthusiasm over time, and some don't.

I see the reasoning behind it, I mean, it can be renamed to whatever anyone would want to call it but the end result would be the same unless the point system itself is revised.

The only other thing that I might add, which is something oft expressed in PMs with a user in the dialogue ensuing from an infraction, warning or reminder note, is that there really are no "hidden agendas." The rules are fairly cut-and-dried, even though some subjectivity is certainly going to enter into forum moderation duties.

Though only one staff member might handle certain forum moderation duties, it's not uncommon at all for a staff consensus to be reached among the moderators, via the administrative section of the forums, before any such action is taken. Everyone on the staff, from the top right on down, strives to be fair and cordial at all times.

There are no hidden agendas whereby someone was targeted because a moderator didn't like them, or had differences in chasing strategies or political biases against the poster, or even because they are affiliated with a certain streaming company and/or storm chase team. In fact, if a bona fide conflict of interest is present, a moderator must essentially recuse himself or herself from taking corrective action. However, believe it or not, it's not at all uncommon for some people to want to believe these were underlying reasons in why their post was edited or deleted and, subsequently, why they might have been warned or infracted.:rolleyes:

The suggestions have been excellent thus far. I will continue to cut, paste and subsequently compile any additional suggestions into a running list that we are discussing on the administrative side of the forums.

Hey Tim, you didn't address the potential for a photography section here on ST. What are your thoughts on this?

I tend to think that consensus amongst moderators is important for the administration of a site like Stormtrack. As such, though I'm not a mod at this time, I'm not sure I'd go with the "assign one mod per forum" idea. As current and past moderators know, the amount of time and energy that any particular moderator spends performing the duties of the position varies significantly. Some mods, quite frankly, have underperformed, though I'm confident that such was not intentional (life gets in the way, after all!). In my experience, there's a continuum of mods, from those who don't really do much in terms of actually moderating (looking over FCST threads, cleaning up flame wars, etc.) to those who have the time available (or make the time) to actively participate in the moderation of the forum. In addition, everyone gets busy from time to time. I fear that "assigning" forums to particular mods may not allow for enough flexibility to most effectively moderate the site.

I agree with Tim that, for many Stormtrack members, there may be a typical "lifecycle". Many newcomers are enthusiastic and excited about the hobby and forum, willing to meet new chasers and willing to spend the time to look at a 120 hr GFS forecast with great detail. As we gain experience and get older, I think many tend to "settle" into their respective chase pairs or groups and become less motivated to post frequently. I'll occasionally read a post from an experienced chaser that touches on how their priorities have changed with time (as a result of family, work obligations, etc.). I don't really think decreased forum activity is necessarily the result of chasers being driven away from Stormtrack or revolting over Stormtrack policies. Sure, sometimes policies may not be popular, but I don't think this is way we don't see Tim Marshall or some other respected veterans posting frequently.

I also agree that changing the names for warnings/infractions is worthy of consideration. More than a few folks to whom I've issued warnings or infractions have come back a little defensive, and it's not always easy to diffuse such feelings. However, ST mods sometimes need to issue "warnings" for some relatively minor offenses, and I think some reasonable folks take such actions personally. Indeed, many of the times, warnings ARE issued more as a "reminder of rules" than anything else. MANY members have received a warning at one point or another, so, if you get one, please do NOT take it personally or as if a mod thought you did a great injustice to Stormtrack!

Finally, I continue to worry about "forum bloat" when it comes to adding additional sections. It seems that many forums add additional subforums with time, with some eventually becoming dormant or at least very inactive, which in turn seems to create a perception of inactivity (a "dull forum"). Admittedly, I was also worried about forum bloat when the Winter Weather section was added, and that (along with the Tropical Weather forum) seems to have been fine. However, I don't really see that there are enough threads about photography, for example, to necessitate a new subforum dedicated solely to photography. IMO, we have existing forums that handle photography discussions well (if it's camera or tripod-related, then the Equipment forum is good; if it's technique or show-and-tell related, then Weather and Chasing or a REPORTS/DISC thread is good). I certainly could be wrong to be worried about forum bloat, but my experience with sprawling forums generally isn't good, and I worry that after the initial "honeymoon" period, a photography section would sit for many days or weeks without much activity. I'm digressing a bit, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to disagree with Jeff Snyder concerning the Photography Forum.

Photography is a major, major component of Storm Chasing - thereby, the majority of Storm Chasers are also by it's very nature - photographers. The opportunities in a photography sub-forum are endless. You can have photography threads on certain meteorological phenomenon. Contests on types of photography. Indeed, many of our Storm Chasers are also professional photographers. Photography forum can also include educational posts on watermarking and digital photoshop/alteration methods and effects. Life, Nature, and Still Photography are all elements that could be included. Educational topics - wow. How to create panoramic shots. Best settings for lightning, sunsets, night skyscapes, etc. etc. Bottom line - I hardly believe with all of the skill and talent that we have among the Storm Chasing community - since 95% of us have at the least a "nice" camera and many have a professional grade camera - that this will cause "bloat" and be inactive. This could be a huge spark to the Forum.

I think for a Storm Chasing Forum *not* to have a photography section is more of a hindrance then a worry. At least, it is my opinion, that we should integrate a Storm Track Photography Forum for a trial period. I am more then convinced it will not disappoint.

I would request it be member-restricted to make sure photo-stealing threat is much lessened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bloat for bloat's sake is a bad thing, but breaking down 'Weather and Chasing' and 'Equipment' into specialized sub-forums could be a good thing. Topics get lost in those sub-forums so quickly, and just looking at the thread/post count shows how uneven the sub-forum division is. We don't have that many sub-forums, and the division just exists to help find topics - so let's divide where needed. Some quick thoughts:

-Meteorology (there are a lot of non-meteorology posts in W&C, and the whole 'experienced chasers can't start topics' in the Educational forum leaves advanced discussion without a real home)
-Photography (most photography forums don't cover the topics relevant to us - plus, weekly photoshop contests could be fun)
-Software (round all these bad boys up, and let's get some people developing and sharing things)
-'Chase case' or similar games

Also, let's re-assess the stickies, remove some of the old ones if they're not really relevant any longer, and put up some shiny new ones. Heck, I'd even volunteer to type some up if anyone has suggestions.

Rather than dividing forums up into sub-forums, would it be more practical to use the existing tagging system and add appropriately-placed links to "threads tagged with X"? For example, following Robert's list:

http://stormtrack.org/forum/tags.php?tag=meteorology
http://stormtrack.org/forum/tags.php?tag=photography
http://stormtrack.org/forum/tags.php?tag=software
http://stormtrack.org/forum/tags.php?tag=chase case

It would require more use of tags than we're doing now but it could be a good compromise and unlike sub-forums multiple tags can be applied to one thread if appropriate. Also the list of linked-to tags could be changed at any time without moving threads around.

Also, can the 30 second search interval be reduced for logged-in members only? I'd guess a lot of the peak server load from searching comes from anonymous users and web crawlers...maybe bump them up to 60 seconds ;)

Also, can the 30 second search interval be reduced for logged-in members only? I'd guess a lot of the peak server load from searching comes from anonymous users and web crawlers...maybe bump them up to 60 seconds ;)

Search functionality is only enabled for logged in members anyways, so anonymous users can't use the ST search. Web crawlers also just spider across various links that they find, and only minimally affect load on the web server. The ST search actually has to do a lot of crunching on the database side of things, and allowing people to search rapidly could bring the site to its knees in some scenarios.

You could try using Google with a URL like: http://www.google.com/custom?q=trough&sitesearch=forums.stormtrack.org

and just replace 'trough' with whatever you're searching for, or if you're searching from a Google search box use something like:

trough site:forums.stormtrack.org

Search functionality is only enabled for logged in members anyways, so anonymous users can't use the ST search.

Ah, I was about to suggest disabling internal search and using Google instead but I hadn't realized that's already been done. I saw the search link still available when logged out but didn't actually try clicking on it.

It's hard to believe enough searches are being done by members to kill the server. I wonder if the impact is from everyone clicking "New Posts" repeatedly, waiting for replies to their wit & humor ("New Posts" hits the search page).

Just a quick note to all -- we will be upgrading the site to vBulletin 4 this week. This should be a significant (and hopefully positive) change and most of the work this week will focus on this.

I do appreciate the ongoing comments... this is great feedback.

Tim

Just had another thought, for Marketplace. Need a "sold" subforum/section that threads that are no longer active or relevant can be moved to. That seem sot be a common mode of operations among other sites, like auto related forums.

Just had another thought, for Marketplace. Need a "sold" subforum/section that threads that are no longer active or relevant can be moved to. That seem sot be a common mode of operations among other sites, like auto related forums.

That can also be handled in another manner. If the OP would just post a reply that the item sold, we can always start "soft deleting" the thread. This means that regular forum users would not see the thread any longer, saving you from wading through old threads that are no longer useful due to the item being sold, but yet allowing the moderators or the administrator to go back and view the thread upon request, at any time, if there were any remnant problems that might arise regarding the sale (i.e., discrepancy between what was advertised versus what the purchaser actually received).

Additionally, there could always be a policy that threads are (soft) deleted if there is absolutely no activity on the thread on way or another after ____ number of weeks or months.

Back