High wind event today

All across the midwest. High wind warnings are flying for much of the midwest. Winds may exceed 60mph across the area this afternoon. Even at this late hour winds are gusting to 55mph in South Dakota. I will be surprised if I don't see a 70mph report later today. This really looks like a nasty high wind event. Every parameter is in place.

GRB has wind advisories posted for all of its CWA with gale warnings for the waters of Lake Michigan and the Bay.

WEST WINDS WILL INCREASE TO 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 45 MPH LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND WILL CONTINUE INTO TONIGHT.

Perfectly calm as of right now with a light dusting of snow on the ground. :)

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas...

Apparently things are already starting to pick up out to the west, though:

WIND GUSTS OF 43 MPH HAVE BEEN REPORTED AT LA CROSSE MUNICIPAL AIRPORT...WHILE PRAIRIE DU CHIEN AIRPORT REPORTED 46
MPH.

The storm has hit so to speak here in Green Bay with sleet mixed with snow blowing horizontally on winds of 20-25 MPH.

Holy crap get a load of this surface map! If only this was April or May and this cyclone had a warm, moist Gulf air mass to work with!

<Removed auto-updating TWC surface map image. Relevant cyclone has left the country>

So far the winds haven't materialized as intense as I had thought. Most gusts are staying at or below 50mph. The extensive cloudiness across the most favorable high wind region is likely keeping things a little more reasonable.

Apparently my forecast for a 70mph gust somewhere is laughable lol. Oh well, I'm not a meteorologist..:p

I was just about to say the same thing man. I was hoping for a cool event here in eastern NE but it has not happened. Still a good kite flying day though.

High wind event!

Iv'e witnessed winds gusting to around 60 mph here in Cedarfalls Iowa and there have been wind gusts to near 65 mph in Benton and Poweshiek Counties, Iowa.

From my perspective here in Brookings SD. With some incredible gusts that have caused some damage locally. The howling and creaking of my roof have been constant. Our WFO issued a high wind warning and the criteria was meet. Highest recorded gust by observing station was 48 here in Brookings but more likely was about 52. In some other areas it guested as high as 57.

Very windy here in the western 'burbs of Milwaukee in Waukesha County (Wisconsin). Sustained winds still on the order of 20-25 MPH with a peak gust today of 54.1 MPH. Luckily none of our holiday decorations blew away!

Based on obs around the area...one of the higher gusts of the day. I'm glad its past leaf-season and I don't have to rake anything as is per usual in fall after high wind events.

Somebody must have pulled the string on that low because sfc wind here in Bloomington, Indiana just cranked from a peaceful 20 knots to about 30 sustained with gusts to 40. With all the trees around it really makes a howl. Cool stuff.

Back