hey, new to the forums and seeking advice

ok, i answered my last question myself through doing some reasearch, and found out that yes, sprints data cards will ROAM on verizons, but it costs more. but a i have heard of many complaints with verizon this past year (09) i guess sprint is the only way to go. so now my question is, which modem?

update: equipment list

hey everybody, i thought id update you all here, as to not start a new thread. anyways here is my current equipment list

Purchased:
JVC GR-796u camcorder, for streaming

Panavise Model 809 Camera mount JVC above

Panasonic AVC60 for tripod duty

Black And Decker 400w, modified sine, power inverter.

Gobalsat BU358 GPS

GRlevel 3

Microsoft Streets and tips. (2007)

Yet to purchase:

Yaesu FT-2900R
Diamond NR770hnmo
NMO 3x5" mag mount

Ram Laptop Mount

I have a question about the HAM radios that people are using. I have been looking online and looking for some common brands and types that people are using.

Well, as far as brands go there are really only 4 major players: Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu, and Alinco. The most common band used among chasers is the 2m band, followed by 70cm. I'd either get a 2m or a 2m/70cm dual band.

A great resource is eham.net. You can find out more about everything Ham there.

I'll be honest with you, I got my ticket because I thought I needed it to start chasing. I'm glad I got it, but I wouldn't go whole hog with it until I found out whether or not it was going to be something worthwhile for you outside of chasing. I really have not gotten into it that much and have scaled back on my equipment. I originally bought a Yaesu FT-8800 dual band radio with all of these fancy capabilities and found myself only using the 2m band. I never used the crossband repeat that for some reason I thought I had to have. I sold it and bought a FT-2800 for about $275 less that has served me just as well. It's just a no frills 2m radio.

my names jake, and ever since i was a lil kid i have been fascinated, intrigued, and yes sometimes scared (anyone who says theyve never been is lying) by storms. and now i am hoping to further my knowledge by going to college for meterology. and in particular severe weather (mostly tornadoes, but also hail, derechos and microbursts intrigue me).

anyways im here for a couple of reasons

1. i need help finding a meterology school in georgia.

and

4. i need any and all advice you all may have for me, the only thing i have to say is dont try to discourage me, because i know this is what i wanna do.

Thanks to anyone who reads this, and double thanks to anyone who replys.

Jake Tyson

Welcome to the Forum Jake. Looks like the stereotypical background for most storm chasers. A good RAD software is GR2, make sure you get level 2 data, as it is live, as opposed to GR3 which is delayed by a few scans. Delorme Street Atlas or any other GPS device will aid you. If you really want to get serious but do not mind over smoothing of radar layers (basically a composite reflectivity), then I recommend purchasing Mobile Threat Net, as it will integrate your GPS location into the actual radar screen, so that you can easily see where you are relative to the storm in question.

Please keep in mind that people who are Ataraxic, may not and will not become scared or worried by storms. Thus, calling anyone who has never admitted fear in the face of a storm a liar, is a bit of a stretch for you, being such a new user. You do not know that other people are afraid or not afraid...just because you are does not mean everyone in the world is.

Last but not least, please work on your grammar, punctuation and sentence focus. Bad typing is looked down upon HEAVILY on Stormtrack, as I have been a victim of it, therefore I present you with that anecdotal evidence to serve as a kind warning for the future.

On a side note, double and triple posting is not looked of very highly here either...just thought you should know.

Back