hey, new to the forums and seeking advice

Jake,

One thing that I'd like to add is that it's good to watch other chasers on SpotterNetwork and learn how to position yourself. All of us make mistakes so learn from others, both good and bad.

I've been chasing for 25 years now in mostly Illinois before heading to the Plains states (before I knew I was "chasing") and I wish I had all of the "technology" available back then. Watching others on a map, you'll see how people tackle different situations. It's like sports and watching videotape. Your brain will absorb things without having to go through the motions yourself.

I do recommend chasing some small stuff just to watch and learn what the clouds are revealing. It'll all come together in time.

Nothing better than practice! Even chase the stuff you're not sure about. You're in a dangerous area to chase so keep your distance but you know that you get some biggies down there as well!

ok, thanks for all the advice so far guys, to clear some things up,

i will not be chasing in georgia, the trip im planning is to go out onto the great plains.

so, ditch thefridge and get a cooler. Check.

and im gonna buy a golbalsat bu353 which i found on ebay for $22

i know im gonna fail, of the 3 weeks last summer (09) i went out I only saw a funnel, it never lowered all the way. and i know the reasons for this are, i was alone, i didnt know what to lok for, and i was using just the most basic of equipment.

Just be careful chasing alone. It can be very dangerous. It is easy to get distracted while trying to watch the storm, watch the road, watch the radar, watch - well you get my point.

Best to chase with someone else who can watch the storm and radar for you.

ever since i was a lil kid i have been fascinated, intrigued, and yes sometimes scared (anyone who says theyve never been is lying) by storms.
I just want to throw in that you shouldn't be so sure about that (the lying part) ;)

But I have to second what Shane said. We seem to get a lot of people coming in here who think that as long as they have a laptop and a data card that they are ready to go see all the tornadoes the plains have to offer. You seem to be approaching this from a realistic perspective, so good luck, and I'll see you out there :D

Bob: yea, i realized about being in dixie alley after the many tornadoes here this year. and since the season here is before the season in the plains, i should be able to, at least try, to practice some.

andrew: thanks for the advice on the vehicle, i learned the most important one (the spare tire) last year. i ditched it for space for the fridge. (bad idea) But since august, i have been rebuilding the entire drive tain, and upgrading components as necessary. (new cooling system, ignition, 250amp alternator, transfer case, and trans)

Ric: thanks for the suggestions, as soon as i get my next paycheck i will buy both of the ones lnked to (as i have been told, read read read, right?), the third i am having trouble finding.

Jerry: thanks for the advice, ill try and at least get out and watch, as much as i can during the season here.

beaudodson: I definently learned that last year which is why my best friend is coming with me this year. (he is already in school for meterology)

and finally

Connor: 1. i wasnt trying to insult anyone, i am deeply sorry if i did.
2. thank you, the last thing i want is to be one of those, people,who think chasing is like the movies.

Ric: thanks for the suggestions, as soon as i get my next paycheck i will buy both of the ones lnked to (as i have been told, read read read, right?), the third i am having trouble finding.

Here is an auction for the 10th ed. (not my auction):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260493693703

Earlier editions are available and are a little less expensive. Just do an ebay search for "The Atmosphere" then pick the sub-cat 'textbooks'.

Jake, it sounds like you're well on your way to becoming a successful chaser. Just read everything you can and get a good grasp on storm structure and safety. You can read all the books and all the sites on the net, but experience will be your best teacher. You'll be in class for a long time, but at least your classroom will be on the road getting that said experience.

Hey Jake,

Welcome aboard first and foremost. Here you will a PLETHORA of knowledge from meteorologists, NWS/SPC employees, veteran and new chasers, and can find just about anything you need or want to know.

Secondly, you seem to have the right attitude. It makes my job/responsibility if you will, a lot easier dealing with someone who WANTS to learn, not someone who comes in here thinking they know everything. I am always willing to correspond with someone who is receptive to what myself or anyone for that matter is trying to get across. I am not saying I have all the answers but I have been doing it long enough to feel confident that I have some LOL. With all that being said, my email and PM box is ALWAYS open to any thing you might not want to ask publicly for whatever reason.

If meteorology is your goal, I would recommend you dedicate your first few years studying both in school and in the "lab" (Out in the field). Sounds like you haven't seen many storms being from Georgia, don't worry the Great Plains will supply all that you need. School is number one, try to get into a college out in the Plains. Even if it is a junior college.

Since this is the first time you are chasing out in the Plains, I believe you should go with someone a bit more experienced as sort of a tutor. There are plenty of chasers in your area that I am pretty sure would GLADLY give you a first hand tour of Nature's beauty. Chasing in KS and OK plains will almost seem easy from a navigational standpoint after the struggle of traversing the Georgian hills/valleys/mountains. Again my PM box is always open for helpful hints or strategies that I will gladly pass along as I have learned them from some of the good chasers out there.

If you go out alone, I would strongly recommend being a spectator. What I mean is keep your distance from the business end of the storm. Try not to fall under a 3-5 mile range from the wall cloud. Sounds like you have some experience though so I am not too concerned about you not knowing about rain wrapped tornadoes, occlusions, mesocyclone handoffs etc... ;)

What I would take if I were you....

* Hand held NWR - NOAA Weather Radio - You may not have radar or a scanner to see and/or listen to what others are so at the very least the NWR (if in range) will give you a rough idea of what is going on.

*A bunch of AA batteries - for your radio if you plan on using it a lot. If you have a scanner wired into your car already, all you have to do is program your frequencies in.

* If you don't already have a GPS, get one, but don't rely on it. Our 6/7 chase this year ended up with us almost driving into a river because the GPS showed a road that definitely wasn't there.

* Road atlas - Can't go wrong with a paper map!

* A list of contact numbers - whether it be of other chasers, the National Weather Service, etc. Report only what you see if you so choose to do that.

* Make sure you have a spare tire - I would ditch the fridge and go with the cooler. Make sure you have your roadside kit ready. (Jack, tools, etc)

* A cell phone to call for help, a report, anything.

* If you are going to use a laptop and want to run radar I would recommend using GR3 or StormLab. I assume you know how to read the radar so it should be pretty easy to customize to your likings.

* Make sure you bring enough money! Nothing will piss you off more than sitting in the middle of a desolate highway in the middle of the Kansas Prairies with an empty tank, no cell connection, and no money to fill up your tank!

I believe those are the basic things you need to take on your first storm chase to the Plains. Again I STRONGLY advocate trying to make more connections and perhaps team up with a veteran for a couple of days. I will be out there next Spring, I don't know when yet, but if you run into me at a gas station or throw me a PM you are more than welcome to tag along. If being independent is your thing, then more power to you, I wish you the best of luck. It is coming into the dreaded winter months, use this time to cram knowledge! I would insist you spend a penny or two and buy a couple DVD's from Shane Adams, Scott Weberpal, Andrew Pritchard, Mike Hollingshead, and Dustin Wilcox if for nothing else to see what Plains chasing is all about and to get a picture in your head of storm structure. Shane's "LOVE" DVD is one of my favorites and really shows you the awesome-ness of Mother Nature.

My storm season has ended up here in Chicago, but I know you boys in Georgia have your hands full with late night tornadoes in the winter so with that....STAY SAFE buddy! See you out there!

On the note about bringing enough money make sure you don't bring your check book and you bring a decent amount of cash as well as your debit card. I have found it nearly impossible to use checks while chasing since most places that still do take them wont if they aren't local. The reason you want cash is I have on several occasions ran into places that have lost their phone lines or that their card machines were not working and so I wouldn't have been able to fill up my gas tank with out having the cash to do so.

On the note about bringing enough money make sure you don't bring your check book and you bring a decent amount of cash as well as your debit card. I have found it nearly impossible to use checks while chasing since most places that still do take them wont if they aren't local. The reason you want cash is I have on several occasions ran into places that have lost their phone lines or that their card machines were not working and so I wouldn't have been able to fill up my gas tank with out having the cash to do so.

Good point! Personally, I always take more cash than needed for the reason you spoke of, and it also may be needed to pay for car repair and other important scenarios.

danny: i do know about rain wrapped tornadoes, im not sure i would recognize one. as for occlusions and mesocyclone handoffs, i am at a loss. i guess i will learn about these as soon as i get the books.

all: i have heard alot about supercell cycling, what is this?

yea ive figured that for 14 days, avg. 500miles a day, im lookin at 1400 dollars, plus the drive to and from. im lookin at about 1600. i have 2000 set aside. and workin this winter i should be able to build up more.

and uh, bribing cops doesnt work. my girlfriends brother knows all to well. (bribed a state trooper $150 for a 10 over. then got put in jail)

danny: i do know about rain wrapped tornadoes, im not sure i would recognize one. as for occlusions and mesocyclone handoffs, i am at a loss. i guess i will learn about these as soon as i get the books.

all: i have heard alot about supercell cycling, what is this?

yea ive figured that for 14 days, avg. 500miles a day, im lookin at 1400 dollars, plus the drive to and from. im lookin at about 1600. i have 2000 set aside. and workin this winter i should be able to build up more.

and uh, bribing cops doesnt work. my girlfriends brother knows all to well. (bribed a state trooper $150 for a 10 over. then got put in jail)

Mesocyclone handoff is essentially the same thing as a supercell cycling. When one circulation dies, most of the time it occludes (or gets drawn N or NW) into a storms precipitation, as a newer circulation forms to the E or SE of the old circulation. Often times on radar your will see the velocities disappear for a scan or two before you see a new couplet form further to the East as I said.

thanks for the links, that really cleared it up for me.

also i am not sure how much this matters, but i took the spotter network training course thing, and got a 100. thats good right?

Back