HAPPY NEW YEAR! - 2005 CHASING RESOLUTIONS...

1) To have the camcorder on the tripod LESS.

2) Chase alone less making it easier to get some insane close up shakey video of stuff getting chewed up. (partially sarcastic)

3) Resist the urge to do stupid April chases in the trees.

resolutions:

1. stop doing any more chasing in MO (tempting though to do since I live here, however, it results in little more than frustration)
2. unless there's overwhelming evidence to do so I will not leave my original target
3. unless I'm positive there's a better vantage point I will not move to try to get a better view (and risk losing a "good" view trying too hard to get a "great" view)

goals:

1. less busts
2. better pics
3. avoid hail

2005 Resolutions:

1) Become a better forecaster.
2) Ask for more time off from work in May. (I only take 1/2 days off to chase and when it's all said and done I've only used a week of vacation and missed the big tornado events)
3) Video the ground contact and pan back out to the full tornado more often.
4) Leave earlier, stay longer, see more!

Goals:
1) Hear a tornado (never heard one yet)
2) Survey some tornado damage (haven't yet, probably a good thing)
3) Get into some gorilla hail (my windshields' already trashed from last year!)
4) Get my number of posts over 100.

1.) Chase more:
In the past I have only been able to chase a handful of times because of $$$$ (gas prices) and being able to get off work. The money thing should not be a big problem in 2005 sense I have teamed up with two others (split the gas three ways) but getting off of work always creates a big problem.
It’s sad, I get 5 weeks of vacation each year (have almost 7 weeks built up) and it’s such a pain to take off and when I do they are always calling. Mickey what’s this, Mickey how do you do this, or damnit Mickey what the hell have you done.

2.)Use the tripod more

3.)Get on the road earlier: Which is possible now that I have more ways to get data in the field. (Thanks Bill)

4.) Get my wife to go chasing with me at least once this year.

That’s about all I can think off.

Mick

Resoloutions: To not go crazy and use new words when I can't get the tripod out because it's hung-up in antenna coax.

Goals: To shoot more tripoded video of more of everything I see and not take anything for granted. To have fun.

Resolutions:
1. Be more aggressive with long distance chases (as in even if the target is more than 200-300 miles away, just go for it!! But I did better on this part last season...went solo in Nebraska 8) )
2. Document better (the where and when parts)
3. Keep practicing forecasting (the hand analysis part...even upper air!)
Goals:
1. Get as many tornadoes and as much hail as possible 8)
2. Just have fun no matter what happens !!!

Angie

For those wishing they would use a tripod more I highly suggest getting a window clamp. I never used a tripod before I got one, and now I rarely shoot video not mounted. Also, if you are mindfull enough you CAN shoot still video handheld...just have to keep reminding yourself of the fact you want to make it still.

Originally posted by Mike Hollingshead
For those wishing they would use a tripod more I highly suggest getting a window clamp. I never used a tripod before I got one, and now I rarely shoot video not mounted. Also, if you are mindfull enough you CAN shoot still video handheld...just have to keep reminding yourself of the fact you want to make it still.

Also
if using handheld method , lay off zooming as it will intensify any shakiness and STOP THE VEHICLE

I've got plenty of examples if needed.... :oops:

Originally posted by Mike Hollingshead
For those wishing they would use a tripod more I highly suggest getting a window clamp.

I was looking for one with the removable shoe that would transfer to my tripod and I finally did.
http://home.att.net/~jpfotog/windowmount2.jpg

Resolution: 1)To get out earlier on chase day and to do a little better job on forecasting. 2) To chase with a partner from time to time.

Goal: 1)Like everyone else, to get more footage using a tripod and window mount. 2) To chase up into Nebraska with success instead of just Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas.

Your welcome Mick! :)

Resolutions:

1.) Go on an actual chase that involves forecasting for and driving to a target area, rather than just those "backyard storm observation sessions" I undertook in 2004. This might actually be possible in 2005 because a friend of mine has recently expressed interest in being my chase parter (and he has a driver's license!).

2.) Never use Sony HME-60 Hi8 video cassettes in my camcorder anymore. I had three of them and all of them caused tape jams when I put them in the camcorder. This caused me to miss getting video of a wall cloud and a spectacular lightning show on June 23rd, 2004.

3.) Take more video-I should have taken more during the hailstorm on May 23rd '04, and likewise when I was scanning the clouds for tornadoes after the hail passed.

Goals: Witness and get usable photos/video of one or more of the following:

>Tornadoes
>Funnels
>Strongly rotating wall clouds
>Nonrotating or weakly rotating wall clouds
>60+MPH thunderstorm-induced wind
>Hailstorm AOA severe limits
>Spectacular lightning show
>Photogenic thunderstorm cloud structure

If I see and capture any one of these, the chase will not be considered a bust.

Back