• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Anybody need a chase partner this year?

K O’Neill

Enthusiast
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone wants a chase partner with them this year? I did see someone else posted this same question very recently, and that there was a dedicated chase partner thread but I couldn't find it.

A bit about me - My name is Kieran, and I live in the south of the UK. I have been fascinated with severe weather since about the age of 5 (now 31). Currently work as an IT consultant / field engineer. I'm an easy going guy and get along with everyone I meet, but expect me to be like a kid in a candy store when I see severe weather rolling in!

I completed my first chase last year with some guys I met through a storm chasing game, and overall it was a success, but I feel the guys I met up with just dragged their heels a lot the time (amongst other things) and we missed some good action out on the plains.

I hold a full UK driving license, so can alternate drivers to make life a bit easier.

Happy to contribute towards rental costs, gas, etc. Will bring more than enough money with me.

Hoping to make it happen this year, and not sure if chasers ofter let randomers tag along with them, but though I'd chuck a feeler out anyway.

I guess the best plan would be to fly out to a major airport like DFW, and meet up there (for example)

Thanks all!

Kieran

Last edited:
It might be tougher than normal for you Kieran. Coming from the UK means you’ll be locked in to a certain time period to chase. I believe the majority of chasers go out on a day by day basis, deciding on relatively short notice if the drive will be worth the chase. There are plenty of people who go out on a pre-determined schedule, but they usually have people they normally chase with.
Of course there’s always the worry about you driving on the wrong side of the road!😃. Hang in there. You’ve got some time before chasing.

Cheers for the reply, Todd. I'm finding this is going to be an issue, as you say chasers usually set off ad-hoc.

I've decided to take the plunge and meet my old buddies from last year as they have set the dates 24th April - 15th May as a chase window. Just bought the flights and sorted a hire car (£1700 later 😬). Had to get something booked before the prices went through the roof!

Back