Grlevel3

I know there is a board for Grlevelx, but I’m not registered over there, and I know there are several regulars here who are very familiar with this product. So, my question is; I have just picked up a new laptop with a Gforec4 440 Go graphics card. I loaded the trial version of Grlevel3 last night and the smoothing does not work. I read where smoothing does not work with the Gforce4 MX cards for some reason, but am wondering if this true for the mobile “Goâ€￾ cards as well? Or if there is something else I need to do on my settings? If, worst case I am SOL with this card, does anybody know if the upcoming revision 1.1 with the rewritten smoothing with work with a wider range of cards?

I think the GeForce 4 architecture is essentially the same for all versions. The differences usually have to do with memory bandwith and power consumption, so it's probably a safe bet that they all have the same problems with smoothing in the software.

I think the GeForce 4 architecture is essentially the same for all versions. The differences usually have to do with memory bandwith and power consumption, so it's probably a safe bet that they all have the same problems with smoothing in the software.
Unfortunately not. The MX series are really just GeForce2 type cards that support DirectX 7, while the other GF4 cards have true DirectX 8 capabilities so should smooth fine in Grlevel3.

Anyone can register for the board - there's one general board and a seperate one for owners only. http://grlevelx.com/grlevel3

There is nothing you need to "do" for smoothing. Either the checkbox is enabled and you can, or it's gray and you can't.

- Rob

Grlevel3 will automatically detect if your system supports it or not. If it does not automatically enable it is not your settings but the fact the your card does not have pixel shaders or a pipeline equilivelent. My last laptop would not smooth with Grlevel3, I now have an HP with a ATI Radeon 945IM which has the equivilent for pixel shading. You do have options though, if you have a laptop it will be very hard to replace this video card. Check to see if you can replace your card. (See if it is an integrated video card). If it is or cannot be replaced see if you have any mini-pci ports which are sometimes found in laptops. The only other laptop choice is to replace the motherboard which can cost $100 to several hundred dollars depending on your needs. If it is a desktop computer, don't worry. You can buy a good video card for real cheap and its not incredibly hard to install on a desktop. Just remember, if it says pixel shader in the video card description you know you got smoothing. Mike has a color pallete which is really the next best thing and you don't have to worry about having some of your thunderstorm features smoothed over.

If I can do smoothing with Gibson's Level II software, shouldn't I be able to do it with the Level III software?

No, L2 was his first release and as he developed L3 he came up with a better / faster scheme that uses the video card instead of processor.

- Rob

Thanks for the comments. I have now learned that all the GeForce4 cards (MX & Go) are based on the older GeForce2 technology and will only support DirectX 7, therefore no smoothing. Bummer, but not a showstopper. I still have ~ 5 days left to return the laptop, but I don’t think I can get another equal to this one for the price. 15.4 wide screen, AMD 64 3400+, 100 gig hd, DVD +RW for $1100. So I think I’ll live without smoothing. I will try the other color palette though, as I really like this program.

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:08 am Post subject: "Santy" worm causing server problems Reply with quote
There's a worm called "Santy", or a variant, that's killing server performance across the net. My host has been hit hard and are scrambling to recover. There's no ETA on a solution.

Mike

Back