GRLevel2 Analyst Edition----wow!

Mike never ceases to amaze me. He sure is giving the "big dogs" i.e Baron, WSI, WXC and run for their money with all these new features/upgrades to GR. :lol:

Does he still plan on releasing a specific version aimed at the broadcast markets? I know he doesn't really like to discuss that though...

Originally posted by Jon Gossin

Does he still plan on releasing a specific version aimed at the broadcast markets? I know he doesn't really like to discuss that though...

I think he said he couldn't release it due to several copyright issues. I think. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a copy and it's pretty cool.

Originally posted by Aaron Kennedy
IDV = slower that molasses

Agree... I used IDV a couple of years ago and found it to be very neat. However, it is slow, even on my 2.17ghz P-M 1GB RAM laptop... GR is awesome because it is powerful and capable, yet fast and relatively easy-to-use.

Put it this way... if I did my research with IDV, i'd still be doing research until 2025 ;) With GR2 I'm currently writing my seminar lol.

If you need to quickly flip through data to look for cases, GR2 fits the bill.

Bless the hardware acceleration!

Aaron

"I wish Unidata would put more effort into GEMPAK"

NWS does most of the GEMPAK development, Unidata adds some of their stuff / tweaks but NWS is the source.

I can't see the need to re-do that in Windows.

Originally posted by rdale
"I wish Unidata would put more effort into GEMPAK"

NWS does most of the GEMPAK development, Unidata adds some of their stuff / tweaks but NWS is the source.

I can't see the need to re-do that in Windows.

Nah, not neccesarily GEMPAK for Windows - but maybe something along the lines of FX-NET.

FX-NET was written in Java and runs on Windows and isn't anywhere near as slow as the IDV. In fact, FX-NET is hands down one of the best model viewers available, I only use GEMPAK for overlays, soundings, data merging, and a nice satellite viewer.

Originally posted by DanHinch
I've seen fx-net before, but have never been able to find a download. Is it publicly available?

It used to be more readily avaliable but their servers are taxed. They have an agreement with ENSCO to provide FX-NET to the public for a fee.

www.extremeforecasting.com

You can email them for a promotional code for a free trial. It's essentially the same thing as FX-NET though lacking some of the model and lightning data.

As for GR2AE I have tons of L2 files stored up (bow echo, hurricanes, etc.) as soon as that program is made avaliable.

-Scott.

Originally posted by Greg Stumpf+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Greg Stumpf)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-rdewey
considering the fact that WDSS isn't real time either
Sure it is. Has been since 1993.

WDSSII (and Vis5D) was the motivation for, and pre-dates Gibson Ridge AE. But it is nice to see an affordable version of a 3D radar viewer that has elements of both and in a nice package available to the masses.

(Of course both WDSSII and Vis5D are still free to .edu and .gov researchers).[/b]

Just wondering... What does WDSS-II cost for a real-time system? I know for research purposes you can't run it real-time, and I understand that the money is used to help fund the project.

BTW - Anymore screenshots of GRLevel2 AE?

Originally posted by rdewey
Just wondering... What does WDSS-II cost for a real-time system? I know for research purposes you can't run it real-time, and I understand that the money is used to help fund the project.
You would have to contact NSSL folks at http://www.wdssii.org for that answer.

greg

Well technically if you qualify to have the WDSS-II system you can download this: http://cimms.ou.edu/~lakshman/WDSSII/w2algrun.html and start several algorithms at once in real time with access to an LDM. Note: one you need to have a pretty fast computer, two a really good LDM.

It should be noted that:
"What can you not do with this software?

1. Run it operationally.
2. Distribute weather warnings or make weather forecasts or decisions based on this software.
3. Run it real-time.
4. Redistribute the software.
5. Make commercial use of the software."

Obviously there is legal issues with 2 but 3 is the kicker, because you can go back to the home page and click on real-time monitoring. I personally do not know how good the algorithm works; I just use WDSS-II at NEMAC for research and soon at the NCDC for data assimilation and analysis.

But as for GR2AE, when you are on a research budget, if you can get same information or enough of what you want for free, go free; as for operationally, you avid and experienced chasers and operational meteorologist will have to answer that. But it's also too early to tell anything with this new software, who knows could be what you want, and it could not be what you want.

Chad

Back