GRLevel2 Analyst Edition----wow!

Tyler,
I’m assuming from the name that this will require L2 data. Is the L2 data provided by Allison House (through one of their packages) single site specific? IE; if I pay for OAX do I only receive OAX, or would I be able to change sites similar to L3? Or would you have to pay for each site individually? If this is the case, I can see where this would probably be marketed to TV Stations, Weather offices, ect, but not a likely tool for a chaser. Although it would be very cool to have.

AH subscriptions are single radar site *at a time*..you may switch between whatever stations I have. I do not have all of the L2 sites since that would cost a lot of money to do..but if one is needed/wanted I can usually add it within a few hours.

Most of the words I was going to use were used. So I'll just say cool. I can't wait for that to be released. I just hope I can afford it. I wonder what kind of hardware will be required to run that? A DirectX 9 card I'm guessing.

WOW! :shock:

That's absolutely AWESOME. This might actually be the first piece of weather software that I purchase. Up until now, I've lived on GEMPAK and WDSS-II to view NEXRAD data... But this even surpasses WDSS-II (considering the fact that WDSS isn't real time either :roll: ) in a graphical sense...

considering the fact that WDSS isn't real time either
Sure it is. Has been since 1993.

WDSSII (and Vis5D) was the motivation for, and pre-dates Gibson Ridge AE. But it is nice to see an affordable version of a 3D radar viewer that has elements of both and in a nice package available to the masses.

(Of course both WDSSII and Vis5D are still free to .edu and .gov researchers).

Not as pretty (or fast), but we can produce 3d isosurfaces of reflectivity with Erik Rasmussen's MAP/OBAN programs. Idealy, I'd want the control I have with Erik's software + the quickness/graphic qualities of GR applications.

A nice BWER:
KLBB_051205_E_0049Z_45dbZ.jpg

Aaron

God, now that just seems to break a lot of barriers. How accurate is the 3D rendering, and the compilationsof the data from the RAD and data to form the renders? I assume it is just a rough estimation of the actual attributes that the data is portraying? I don't even want to know just how expensive that is going to cost.......

I don't even want to know just how expensive that is going to cost.......

Mike said that it'll go for several times the price of GRLevel2, which is currently $79.99 IIRC. So, something like $200-$250 seems likely, though this is just my guess.

What can you control with MAP/OBAN that's different?

For one, I'm able to input storm motion to account for the time differential during a volume scan (4-6min). While storms moving 25kts or less aren't a big deal, anything moving faster will appear tilted.

Second of all, since OBAN is doing an objective analysis of the radar data, I can control the "smoothing". MAP then displays the oban with/without the sweep files.

Mike has worked hard on GRx and I love the program... I know he wants to gear at least part of GR2AE for the research community... if so... I hope he thinks about adding these options (with the addition of at least the storm motion aspect above):

-Ability to change units (metric option please!)

Features from SoloII which would be nice:
-Ability to edit bins of data (IE dealias velocities or correct bad gates of reflectivity) and then save the radar data as a new file.
-Ability to load swp files (universal standard for radar data pretty much!)*** Most important***
-Ability to add semi-transparent horizontal planes at given altitudes
-Ability to do CAPPIs

I'm sure I can come up with a bigger list... enough to keep him busy for a few decades ;)

It all depends on who he wants to target... if he does want to hit the research community (I hope he does) then those are the sort of features I'm looking for.

Simply flipping through WSR-88D data isn't going to cut it since most of our data comes from other radars (swp format). This may be well beyond what Mikes want to do, and if so, fine... but he should at least know what else is out there : )

Aaron

Back