GPS with Windows 10 Map App?

Anyone find a way to use a puck GPS with the Windows 10 map app? The app allows you to download all the maps, so all you really need is to get a GPS to work with it. Could be a good upgrade from the old Microsoft Streets and Trips that some of us still use1

I'm using the solution mentioned above; the new URL is https://www.gpssensordrivers.com .

Basically the issue is that the MS maps app is only looking at the new location services feature which older pucks cannot supply. The solution above works very well; I use it on a Win 10 surface tablet and offline MS maps regularly.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

GlobalSat has a puck that will provide the non NMEA signal that the Windows 10 map app is looking for.
GlobalSat 05-BU353-W10

But the strange thing is....I can't find this model on GlobalSat's website. However, it is on Amazon.

Hi everyone,

chasecation is around the corner, and I am still running into problems with the translation of GPS data from my BU353-S4 to Windows readable GPS data so that I can use it in MS Maps APP or MapFactor.
I don't want to use DeLorme anymore, so I am trying to make this work, and I am stuck right now.

Situation is:
BU353-S4 is plugged in, obviously on the USB port that is COM4. GR has no problem reading that data. I downloaded GPScomplete64 to transfer the data for my Windows Apps. I am obviously doing something wrong, as I don't get it working.
I install as sensor driver on COM4, where my BU-353 sits. But I don't get any satellite information out of that, and no data to use in the windows app.

Anyone having an idea or stumbled upon the same problems ?

Hi all, could somebody possibly give me some direction as to which driver to install for the Globalsat BU-353-W10? I'm not well versed on this sort of thing and there's little support online. Thanks!

Hi all, could somebody possibly give me some direction as to which driver to install for the Globalsat BU-353-W10? I'm not well versed on this sort of thing and there's little support online. Thanks!
I was unable to get my BU-0353 to work on Windows 10, but it works find on Windows 7. There's a BU-353S4 (or something like that) that does work.

I suspect the older one has a phony PL2303 interface chip, and newer drivers won't talk to it. Or, maybe, they just didn't bother to create a driver for Windoze 10. Either way, not good. That is, if that is why it doesn't work for me.

You need to get the "u-blox GNSS Sensor Device Driver for Windows, v2.40" from u-blox.com:

https://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/ubloxGnss_sensorDeviceDriver_windows_3264_v2.40.exe

By default, this will ONLY work with applications using the Windows Location Services, such as Windows 10 Maps. It will not work with legacy programs expecting a serial interface, such as GRLevel3.

The easiest way to get it working with GRLevel3 is to use the latest version of Franson GPSGate Splitter

http://update.gpsgate.com/install/GpsGateClient.exe

together with the splitter plugin installer that allows GPSGate to use the Windows Location API as input.

http://update.gpsgate.com/install/SplitterPluginInstaller.exe

GPSGate will then read the Windows Location feed and feed simulated NMEA messages to virtual COM ports for use in GRLevel3, SpotterNetwork, etc. I have not extensively tested this combination but so far it has worked when I've tried it. The one drawback is that the virtual COM port feed seems to have a lag of about 1-2 seconds relative to the Windows Location Service itself, but I doubt this is too big of a problem for your purposes.

Another little detail is that legacy applications may think the GPS sensor is seeing fewer satellites than it actually is. However, this doesn't affect the actual positions reported.

As an alternative to the above, I have seen GPSDirect, GPSReverse, GPSComplete etc. suggested in the past, but they have never worked reliably for me so I cannot recommend them.

Last edited:
Back