Got a ham question/problem?

Later in the year I also want to listen in to the hurricane net on 14.325 in the 20 meter band.

This will be my third year of H chasing ~ but I do plan to to be an active staion right in the m,iddle of the hurricane.

Im getting my HAM liscense. As i become more and more involved in chasing I got just about everything but. As there certainly is a need if to be succesful for all of these crazy financial expenditures i have been making.

I want to know opinions on the best ham radio available for the money. I realize this is a pretty general question but i dont know alot about Ham radios.. I need a vehicle mounted unit. Are there any suggestions or models that others here have used that they really like?? Thanks in advance for anyones help. Im getting my tech liscense only so I suppose the 2 meter band is what is important???

Fred

Well, I've only had one mobile rig, an Icom 2340 (I think :oops: ), but it's excellent. If you have a few specific rigs in mind, http://www.eham.net has a reviews section that is very helpful. To answer your other question, 2m will be the most important, but if you can afford a dual-band, go for it. It can come in pretty handy. Case in point: The Central Indiana Skywarn organization operates on a 2m repeater in Indianapolis. However, they also have a 440 repeater in Lafayette linked during net operations. Thus, I can listen in to the main net while still talking simplex to others or on the local 2m nets.

Ben

Hello again Fred,

When we met @ the truck stop I had 2 radios with me. I had my Kenwood TM-G707A and Scott's Yaesu FT7800R. Both are dual band (2m and 70cm) and have the same power output (50w / 35w). After using both I have to say I like the Yaesu radio better. 1000 memory channels, super fast scanning and a weather alert. The Kenwood has 280 or so memories but scans incredibly slow.

If you can afford a dual band rig, I'd go with the 7800. That's just my opinion though, as I haven't used a ton of ham radios.

did some studying and i think for the reviews and the moola that the yaesu 7800 would be a good choice.. thanks Brad.. :wink:

What were those antennas you were using?? I was checking those out.. they looked nice

I was using 2 Diamond SG7500NMO antennas. One was mounted on a K400NMO mount and the other was on a K412SNMO mount. The 7500 is a good antenna, but it is very rigid. I only have experience with the 7500 antenna though. Some others might be able to suggest another.

The Diamond 7500 is a good one. If you can stomach a huge antenna, check out the SG7900-A it's 62", but has good gain, and hears very well. The only drawback is it needs a solid mount that can handle the weight and torque from wind and driving.

How is the best way to study for Ham radio test??

Like the previous poster said, people learn stuff differently. The method that worked for me, was to study the book, "Now your talking" (should be able to pick it up at radio shack, or order it at www.arrl.org ), and then take the practice tests on-line while I studied. Slowly but surely started to get a better grade. Once I was passing 75% of the time, I went and took the test for real. A technician license is mostly operating rules and very basic electronics. I passed my General in 2003 fairly easy also. Its not that tough to pass tech. Just spend some time in the book, and try your hand at the on-line practice exams.

http://www.eham.net/exams/

Doing both you can see where you need improvement while studying.

Good Luck!

I hope this doesn't sound like preaching....

Don't just learn the question pool with its answers. Take the time to learn the concepts behind the questions. Learn why the correct answers are correct, and why the distracters (incorrect answers) are wrong.

When you understand the theories, the answers become clear. This will also apply to any problems you encounter setting up a station.

Originally posted by Pat Palmer
I hope this doesn't sound like preaching....

Don't just learn the question pool with its answers. Take the time to learn the concepts behind the questions. Learn why the correct answers are correct, and why the distracters (incorrect answers) are wrong.

When you understand the theories, the answers become clear. This will also apply to any problems you encounter setting up a station.

I have been scanning etc. since 95. So I decided hell I need my HAM liscense now in my life. Well I took the sample test online and never studied one bit. I didnt pass but i was within 4 answers of passing.

I look forward to learning some of the things I didnt know. Mostly I started guessing a little on the electronic diagrams they had. i look forward to having more knowledge with these things. I love communications and radio and feel it makes me a more knowledgable person with life experiences the more i know. I concur with Pat.

They have yet learned how to make anything idiot-proof, and last week I idioted the mic for my mobile. Here's the fun part, my mobile (an IC-2340H) doesn't appear to be made by Icom anymore. The microphone is an HM-77 (DTMF mic with RJ-45 connection), and my searching can't find one at any of the usual locations: eBay, R & L, Ham Station, Texas Towers, and AES. Does anyone know where I could find a HM-77 cheap, or another model of microphone that would work with the IC-2340H? Since I broke the mic, I've set the mobile to cross-band repeat and used my HT as a surrogate microphone...but that's a hassle, and really pathetic.

Thanks,
Ben

You might post something on eham.net or qrz.com stating what you are looking for, there's bound to be a few of them out there. If not, there will surely be someone who has found an alternative. You could post in the forums or classifieds. Good luck in your search!

Tim

Back