GEMPAK Systems

rdale

EF5
Due to some changes in the setup process, I've dramatically reduced prices for ready-to-run GEMPAK systems... Also Dell computers are now much more Linux-friendly, so prefer anyone interested in a system purchase one direct from them (good ones always available for less than $500 with rebates and the like) and drop-ship my way.

GEMPAK is the premiere weather analysis software package, allowing you to display NIDS data, Level II imagery, hi-res sat, model data, soundings, profilers, and more. For some samplepics click http://sky.radioweather.us/pictures/images/ There are no recurring fees, and the data is downloaded automatically and can be ramped up/down quite easily based on your Internet access speed...

If you can install Fedora on your side and open up access to the box for FTP I can do a complete setup for $240. If you prefer sending me the box, it would run $300 + return shipping (usually about $20.) Mention you're a StormTrack participant and take $25 off, or if you're a student take a 50% markdown!

Arrangements with Allisonhouse (see related thread) you can also get Live Level II radar data for a small monthly fee!

Get more info and some suggested links for Dell systems at http://sky.radioweather.us/gempak.html

- Rob

Just got my computer back from Robert yesterday. It took awhile to get online (problems on this end) but well worth the wait! Very cool and two thumbs up.

Thanks Robert!

Rob I have a question.

Who would I go about getting this Linux OS Computer from, with GEMPAK ready to go? I would be interested because I have a friend who got GFESuite up and running and integrated with our website and I've been trying to find the cheapest way to get it myself. As long as the computer has enough hard drive space for GEMPAK and GFESuite I'd be OK. If I got the comp with GEMPAK ready to go I could just get GFESuite and have him help me install it. Thanks for any help.

...Alex Lamers...

If you have a computer sitting around, I can install on that. If you want to buy fresh, I've had the most success with Dell systems. They can be bought with Linux preinstalled ($600-1000 for the workstations) or just a basic Windows XP box that I can add Linux and GEMPAK to ($300-600)

- Rob

Originally posted by rdale
If you have a computer sitting around, I can install on that. If you want to buy fresh, I've had the most success with Dell systems. They can be bought with Linux preinstalled ($600-1000 for the workstations) or just a basic Windows XP box that I can add Linux and GEMPAK to ($300-600)

- Rob

Ah, so u would be able to partition an XP machine? OK thats what I was thinking of originally but I only have limited experience with Linux so it wouldn't be me doing the partitioning lol.

Alright, one more question before I mull this over, do you know where I would be able to buy a Linux version compatable with GEMPAK and GFE and how much it would cost? (Just in case I would be able to get my friend nearby to help me out...he's the one who has it running currently).

Thanks for you help.

...Alex Lamers...

I've always used RedHat / Fedora which is free. I'm not sure on any requirements for GFE.

- Rob

Originally posted by rdale
I've always used RedHat / Fedora which is free. I'm not sure on any requirements for GFE.

- Rob

K...cool Redhat is what I'm looking for. But I've never run across it for free?

...Alex Lamers...

GEMPAK is definately the way to go. The GUI's are great, and using the command line, you can do some powerfull analysis. With GEMPAK, you can pull soundings for your location (forecast or observational), modify them, and look at hundreds of other parameters that are not available on the web. NCEP and SPC use GEMPAK pretty extensively, all of the "Mesoanalysis" graphics on the SPC page are produced with GEMPAK. I also run the Workstation ETA on a 10KM GRID non-hydrostatically out to 36 hours, which is interesting as well.

Hooking it up to Level II NEXRAD is even better, and now with Allisonhouse, even the "small guy" can get this stuff http://nexrad.allisonhouse.com/). I have setup some images on my server that shows a cross section of L2 data that I took from a storm here in MI (tornadic). If anyone wants to save my images as an "example", go right ahead (just download them to your own server, as my server isn't up "24/7").

http://69.14.190.10/images/KDTX_ANIMATION/...SW_NE_CROSS.png
http://69.14.190.10/images/KDTX_ANIMATION/...N/SW_NE_RHI.png

Rob...I've been told that Fedora Core 3 would support GFE and GEMPAK per FSL's site, so my interest has just peaked :) . Now if I were to buy the GEMPAK ready machine, would that involve u shipping it out to me all nice and peachy-keen or would I need to supply you with a hard drive to install it on?

Dewey....yeah GEMPAK is a nice piece of software. I like the cross sections, they're one of my favorite ways to analyze things and they aren't available often just using the general internet.

...Alex Lamers...

Either you buy something (from Dell or whoever) and have it shipped to me, then I'll do all the work and send it back, or you send me your PC if you want to install it on something you own already.

- Rob

Back